• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming from a perspective of a 9yo whom gaming life I've possibly ruined

Yeah, you ruined it for him. Straight up.

Everything you said here is ON POINT and exactly how it was/is.
We/parents were poor, so now that Poland is not a communist shithole anymore (still 3x poorer than the west anyway), we overspend and want to get/give anything we couldn't have as kids.

Don't spoil children. I say this as someone raised as a spoiled child. If parents want a better life for their kids, don't start them off with a social handicap.

rkofan87

Gold Member
This is called... gamer projection. You'd do it with your own kids too.

Like really, how many people that play video games actually turn into 'one of us' dorks that follow everything, talk about it online, know everything about it, etc. 1% of 1%, maybe? Vast, vast majority of people it's just a fun time killer, and there's nothing wrong with that. He'll probably move on to other interests shortly and that will be that.

Also, he's just your nephew. Don't get so invested. I could care less what any of my nieces and nephews are up to, got enough going on with my own family, lol.
this 1000%

8BiTw0LF

Banned
My daughter bought a Series S last year, but she wanted a PS5 to start off with - I told her she didn't need a PS5 to play Fortnite.

She's happy with the Series S now and plays Fortnite occasionally.

My experience is that youngsters are into things their friends are into and games they can play together. Sounds like your nephew are more into showing what he owns to his friends - and that can surely spark some endorphins, but it's a slippery slope.

Fools idol

Banned
my nephew is the exact opposite.

he's also 9 and is currently playing through Zelda BOTW and having the time of his short life thus far. Constantly asking me to help him figure out stuff, going on his own into the depths to find new weapons and schematics, hunting for cooking ingredients. Hes fully invested.

He wants to play more mature games and try some more challenging things but I don't think he's ready for something like Souls or Elden ring, definitely not. But he is showing a lot of interest. I think his parents wouldn't be happy if I bought him something rated R though, so will be a few years out at least.
he's a bit spoiled just with TOTK because I honestly don't know what I can put him on to as it's his first game, lmao. imagine that. Starting with the good shit aye aye.

Gaming nowadays is a very different experience to what we grew up with. No longer is it a nerdy hobby that basement dwelling neckbeards like me would spend countless weekends not seeing the light of day with a couple of likeminded dorks playing DnD and baldurs gate, no no. It's all social and online now, and it's quite a trendy hobby these days. Even the 'cool' kids at school play games in their friend group.

Last edited:
You got him a ps3, ps4, steam deck, AND a laptop. He's not even 10 yet.
"I don't want to spoil him"

LOL WUT

Stop buying him stuff.

Top Bottom