• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming has changed forever with OLED

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
If you were not blown away, you didn't have the right settings
While you could be right, and I’ll have a C1 soon, there are plenty of times I thought some video was insanely funny, shared it, and the other person failed to see the lulz.
Everyone is different. If they weren’t blown away by OLED, their tastes are different than those vocal about how good OLED is.

Oled no doubt has the best contrast, and perfect dark blacks. Samsung has spent ungodly amounts of money on R&D trying to get it's Qled line to competitive levels. It's resulted in the differences being pretty insignificant. The Oled still has darker blacks without any ghosting, as well as unbeatable contrast. But Samsung's top line of Qleds are pretty close, and they doubled down on aspects the Oled doesn't tend to do well at.

I'm just too hard on my TVs to use an Oled. The only time my TV gets turned off is when the power goes out. My Qled has been on continuously since Oct 24th. You can't treat Oleds that way without burn in becoming an issue.

Kuranghi

Oled no doubt has the best contrast, and perfect dark blacks. Samsung has spent ungodly amounts of money on R&D trying to get it's Qled line to competitive levels. It's resulted in the differences being pretty insignificant. The Oled still has darker blacks without any ghosting, as well as unbeatable contrast. But Samsung's top line of Qleds are pretty close, and they doubled down on aspects the Oled doesn't tend to do well at.

I'm just too hard on my TVs to use an Oled. The only time my TV gets turned off is when the power goes out. My Qled has been on continuously since Oct 24th. You can't treat Oleds that way without burn in becoming an issue.

What exact size and model of Samsung QLED do you have? If it doesn't have literally 240+ dimming zones it won't even be close to OLED for HDR imo.

High-end FALD QD LCDs are lovely, I have one and I love it, but it really can't compete with OLED. Its just not the same thing, even if an LCD/"QLED" had 10'000 dimming zones it wouldn't give you OLED dimming level/contrast at all. My TV has ~646 zones and its awesome but during challenging HDR/DV mostly dark scenes with small/medium sized super bright objects it will still bloom in a noticeable way, or just not show the shadow detail.

ParaSeoul

If you're still on the fence after seeing them in person or watching reviews,just buy whatever is cheaper. Most high end tvs are pretty good enough at everything that unless you have an eye for those kind of things you won't notice too much of a difference.

Recently joined the OLED club inadvertently. Went in to buy a Sony LED but came out with a C1. Time will whether burn in will be an issue, but at this point in my life I want to enjoy the best technology while my eyes still can notice the difference. The contrast and viewing angles really sold me, even though I don’t care much about inky blacks.

TAS

Not a day goes by that I regret my CX purchase. On the contrary, with each passing day, I realize it was the best purchase I could ever make. From games to movies or as a PC monitor, it is simply the best at everything it does. I recommend anyone who is on the fence to take the plunge. I highly doubt that you will regret it.

TVexperto

I absolutely agree, even though i have an IPS ultrawide monitor, i just hate playing on it now compared to the lg oled in our living room. I cannot wait until there are oled ultrawide monitors on the market.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
OK, I’ve had the LG C1 for four days. I changed the settings the moment I could do recommended ones from a solid YouTube channel. I don’t know what out of the box settings look like. I’ll say this, I’ve played TV, movies, and Console games (PS5 & XSX), and steamed Youtube content including the Game Awards. Damn if this TV isn’t the highest end television watching and TV based gaming experience I’ve had, I don’t know what would be.

I do admit I have a fear of burn in, and I feel it as a new OLED owner. I feel it mentally intrude when using it for work productivity on my laptop using it for extended desktop. I’ve placed the black desktop on it and hidden the taskbar, taken all the precautions. I felt it watching The Game Awards staring at the ever present GA logo on the top right of the screen. I felt it with any game there’s a static HUD element. That is honestly the only thing I hate. I cannot currently let that feeling go, but, I’m sure I’ll let it go over time since I know I’ll be careful to shut down (not power off) now and then or change content now and then.

If you can get beyond that burn-in mentality, man, what a set. I can only imagine the G1 set experience being just that much better with the brighter panel / components. I’m not willing to change the settings on my C1 to make it act like a G1. I’m not sure I’d be willing to risk the damage.

Last edited:

beardtm

Neo Member
Moved from a Samsung FALD LCD to an LG C1 OLED and the biggest improvement is the motion handling with motion pro on high (60hz). Blacks, contrast, 120hz, resolution and everything else is obviously improved but I can’t get over how good 60hz games look on this thing motion wise. Absolutely blown away. Looking forward to future brighter oled a to mitigate the brightness loss from BFI but more than happy with the C1 as it is. Truly after many different tvs over the years, I have found the perfect TV.

Top Bottom