• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming has changed forever with OLED

bitbydeath

I went for an 8K QLED, the differences are astounding.

Buffy season one has never looked so good.
0Q8ZaE0.jpg

ParaSeoul

I guess no better motion resolution (1080 vs 300) then, no better near black perfomances, and no one could possibly prefer a material, analog phosphor image over the OLED pasticky one (due to OLED being literally plastic, perhaps).

197cd/m2 (with better microcontrast than every OLED i've ever seen) makes you squint your eyes in pain during a movie in a treated environment.

It's so obvious most people here never saw a KRP in person.

And the already posted comparisons..

Imagine complaining about images with on/off 94,000:1 contrast ratio..

giphy.gif

Alright then I'll save you the trouble of having to type another essay and just let you be happy with your plasma,warts and all.
:)

Mister Wolf

That's my suspicion too. I bounced back and forth between OLED and QLED since 2016 and OLED has the edge thanks to the infinite contrast and no blooming but it doesn't destroy premium LCDs by any stretch IMO.

Went from a LG C9 to a Samsung QN90A. Both top of the line for their respective tech. Of course I noticed the superior contrast of the C9, but its nothing to write home about.

Last edited:
I've just upgraded to a projector for my gaming and could never go back to my oled now. Playing games on a 120" screen is amazing.

Last edited:

Vick

Nah. IFC and BFI solve that problem.
Not at all, if you're used to pure motion it just makes the image more repulsive and artificial.

Nah. Shadows are often overly bright on plasma.
Tales from our asses time?
Just because Panasonic decided to brag about their near black perfomances and made everything below 5 IRE more discernable (making compressed material look like shit in the process) on their 50 and 60 Series, now that extends to all plasmas?

Come on dude..

This must be some kind of weird placebo thing since I have no clue what you're talking about.
Of course you don't.. what a surprise.
It's literally the most common complain plasma users have when they see an OLED, just after the motion handling. Clearly mentioned in the sponsored pro-OLED video as well.

See a CRT, a Kuro, or a VT Pana next to an OLED and you'll realize immediately what it means.

What? No. Unless you have super sensitive eyes.
Well yes, that's how the human eye behaves in a dark room while watching moving images.
And i've seen it happen enough times and to enough people in my home theatre that i couldn't be any more confident in what i'm saying.

Also 197 cd/m² sounds like a best case scenario. They rapidly lose brightness over the years.
By the time a plasma loses its brightness an OLED is dead and buried, by years.
My VT50 has more than 100.000 damn hours, still as bright as the day i bought it.
Black levels on the other hand raised, but they were never on OLED or KRP levels in the first place.

Unless you're in a pitch black room, plasmas are borderline useless.
Stereotypes® - The Post.

Absurd that i have to pass as an OLED hater just because of fragile people being triggered for no reason..

OLED is by far the best technology on the market, and i couldn't be more happy to see people finally realizing how awful LCDs were.

But is it perfect? Is it the best technology ever? Absolutely not, and there were people seeing what you see now (with better resolution in motion/more natural motion) thirteen fucking years ago.

Just deal with it and enjoy what you have now.

Alright then I'll save you the trouble of having to type another essay and just let you be happy with your plasma,warts and all.
:)
Of course i'll do, especially now with 60fps being now the norm considering how orgasmic 60HZ signals are on plasmas and everything being super sampled, just as i did during the whole 360/PS3 and PS4/One generations. But my panels will eventually die and i'll have nothing to replace them with because of easily pleased people such a yourself dictating what the market produces.

8K..

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It's the last untapped frontier for me. The promised land. Just too expensive for me to splurge on right now. Haven't been able to cross that barrier.

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

Not at all, if you're used to pure motion it just makes the image more repulsive and artificial.

Tales from our asses time?
Just because Panasonic decided to brag about their near black perfomances and made everything below 10 IRE more discernable (making compressed material look like shit in the process) on their 50 and 60 Series, now that extends to all plasmas?

Come on dude..

Of course you don't.. what a surprise.
It's literally the most common complain plasma users have when they see an OLED, just after the motion handling. Clearly mentioned in the sponsored pro-OLED video as well.

See a CRT, a Kuro, or a VT Pana next to an OLED and you'll realize immediately what it means.

Well yes, that's how the human eye behaves in a dark room while watching moving images.
And i've seen it happen enough times and to enough people in my home theatre that i couldn't be any more confident in what i'm saying.

By the time a plasma loses its brightness an OLED is dead and buried, by years.
My VT50 has more than 100.000 damn hours, still as bright as the day i bought it.
Black levels on the other hand raised, but they were never on OLED or KRP levels in the first place.

Sterotypes® - The Post.

Absurd that i have to pass as an OLED hater just because of fragile people being triggered for no reason..

OLED is by far the best technology on the market, and i couldn't be more happy to see people finally realizing how awful LCDs were.

But is it perfect? Is it the best technology ever? Absolutely not, and there were people seeing what you see now (with better resolution in motion/more natural motion) thirteen fucking years ago.

Just deal with it and enjoy what you have now.

Of course i'll do, especially now with 60fps being now the norm considering how orgasmic 60HZ signals are on plasmas and everything being super sampled, just as i did during the whole 360/PS3 and PS4/One generations. But my panels will eventually die and i'll have nothing to replace them with because of easily pleased people such a yourself dictating what the market produces.
You quoted me with shit someone else said.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I also never got that big wow effect tbh. I play on a friend's LG C9 a lot (every time we hang out at his place basically) but even tho I the pure black in dark scenes is really nice, I feel like a lot of people really overstate how great OLED is.

the best OLED feature for me is honestly the fast pixel response time more than anything. the colors on a Quandtum Dot LCD TV are also extremely intense, plus they get WAY brighter than any OLED.

so the benefits for OLED are quick pixel response and dark blacks. Quantum Dot LCD TVs on the other hand have the higher peak brightness. in terms of colours I really think OLED and good LCDs are basically on par at this point, unless you want super unnatural overly saturated colours, then I guess OLED is better, but who wants that?
Theres a difference between overstating how good OLED is and you preferring an LCD. OLED has its benefits that are visible to a lot of people, not just techy people. You stated yourself you like the pure blacks. LED's have the peak brightness. Ive seen it myself. Its really nice. But I prefer the contrast most of the time. There are times where content is too dark on the OLED, even in a dark room and in that moment I want an LED. But most of the time, especially in movie watching, I have never seen an LED match the quality for me. If I was gaming only theres a good chance I would have went with the Q90 over CX.

Everything plays a factor in where a TV will shine. Content, placement, light, angle, etc.

Its all down to preferences but there is no denying each technology has its strengths and weaknesses.

tommib

I’ll never get an OLED. I finally tried old black and white films at a friends place and classics look like shit. Extremely artificial contrast. Might be good for games but not much else.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I’ll never get an OLED. I finally tried old black and white films at a friends place and classics look like shit. Extremely artificial contrast. Might be good for games but not much else.
so you won't get new state of the art HDR tv because black and white movies look bad?
No Way What GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Besides... you checked settings on your friend random tv? maybe he was running hdr preset on sdr movie... or some other shit. There is no reason why black and white movies would not look perfect

Topher

Gold Member
I can only speak for myself, but I went from a 43" Asus ROG 4K 120hz monitor to a 55" LG C1 OLED and was pretty amazed in the difference. I'm no TV techie, but for my eyes......it looks great. Is it a massive improvement? Of course not. My expectations were never that inflated in the first place. Going from 43" to 55" was probably the biggest noticeable difference. The picture is definitely improved and there is no doubt about that. And since I have 45 days to return the thing, I can say that this is not about trying to justify my purchase. It is just a great TV for gaming, which is all I'm using it for.

Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF

tommib

so you won't get new state of the art HDR tv because black and white movies look bad?
No Way What GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Besides... you checked settings on your friend random tv? maybe he was running hdr preset on sdr movie... or some other shit. There is no reason why black and white movies would not look perfect
It could well be calibration. I took my blu-ray edition of Sunset Boulevard and everything looked so off.

I’m an old movie fanatic and I’m afraid to hate whatever OLED I get. I’m ok for now.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It could well be calibration. I took my blu-ray edition of Sunset Boulevard and everything looked so off.

I’m an old movie fanatic and I’m afraid to hate whatever OLED I get. I’m ok for now.
how do you know if it looked wrong... or for the first time ever... correct ?

Sleepwalker

I recently purchased my OLED tv and I agree. But I also came from 1080p LCDs... and a VA 1440p pc monitor.

So for me it's both the first time experiencing OLED AND 4K.

ethomaz

Banned
It is even better for movies... actually it is the best user case for OLED.

Last edited:

tommib

how do you know if it looked wrong... or for the first time ever... correct ?
Lol dude. I studied film history. Have been watching films from the 20s, 30s, 40s academically. Contrast was super off and with some weird banding. Anyway, these films were made to be projected not for OLED screens.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
because there is no repair. Just panel replacement.
If my c1 survives 2-3 years, I am fine with that if it's a price for the quality.
That said - I will get c2 probably anyway :p

2 years for something that costs between 1500 and 3000 euros/dollars isn't acceptable to me.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
2 years for something that costs between 1500 and 3000 euros/dollars isn't acceptable to me.
I put quality above that. And we change phones every 2 years anyway...
2 years maybe a bit little. Let's say 3 years for the tv should be the point I EXPECT it to survive in brand new state. If it starts getting a bit more used after this, it is fair.
48" c1 is about 950 euro now

ethomaz

Banned
A buddy of mine still has his. It's in a bright living room and you can barely see shit. It is what it is. Though I wouldn't recommend him an OLED either, room's just too bright.
I had a PLASMA in a bright room (the side to the external is full transparent glasses) with no issue to watch anything.
It is only a issue in external environments (outside rooms).
My OLED is in the same place and again no issue with room light.

LCD is really preferable in external environments.

Last edited:
OLED is too dark for my tastes because the screen doesn’t get bright enough. Black crush is an issue as well.

samsung’s qn90a gets super bright but doesn’t handle blacks quite as well.

you basically have to deal with things being too dark (oled) or a the issues with local dimming (led).

Both have pros and cons. I prefer the brighter picture.

microLED is the best of both worlds but isn’t affordable or completely ready for big production scale yet.

Quick question. I've seen an LED TV which was 100 bucks more expensive than a OLED TV. Which TV might be better, is OLED a Gauarantee for better Image Quality or is it possible that the more expensive LED TV is better?

go to a store and look at a Samsung QN90A and an LG C1 side by side. Decide if you want to deal with everything looking a little too dark (oled) or not. You might love it, or you might feel like oled is too dim after seeing it side by side. Everybody has their own preference. Oled also has a small chance of burn in.

Vick

Valid complaint. Now imagine my surprise when people tell me a plasma is bright enough, while being maybe half as bright as an OLED at best. Wild.
What a lovely coincidence..

The user you quoted suggested a QN90A, far brighter than any OLED.

You might want to take a look at these:

An advice, stop talking about "plasma" as if they were a single panel. Unlike OLED, they were not made by a single company.
Every single one was vastly different from the other, so if your experience with them is limited to your friend's model, just mention that one.
I also had a Samsung plasma between a VT20 and the VT50, and it was so awful i've never bought a Samsung product since.

A KRP has no issues of any kind (except retention, which is shared with OLED). It has been considered the ultimate reference by the entire industry for a decade, and some people still regard it as the best panel ever produced for a reason.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
OLED is too dark for my tastes because the screen doesn’t get bright enough. Black crush is an issue as well.

samsung’s qn90a gets super bright but doesn’t handle blacks quite as well.

you basically have to deal with things being too dark (oled) or a the issues with local dimming (led).

Both have pros and cons. I prefer the brighter picture.

microLED is the best of both worlds but isn’t affordable or completely ready for big production scale yet.
I would argue that any proper content on oled is to be viewed outside of direct sunlight or in the dark.
And I am not sure how 300 full screen and 700 peak windows is not bright enough. I exit the cave in uc4 and it’s blinding :p

wvnative

Quick question. I've seen an LED TV which was 100 bucks more expensive than a OLED TV. Which TV might be better, is OLED a Gauarantee for better Image Quality or is it possible that the more expensive LED TV is better?
OLED is hands down a superior picture, period, it's not even close.

But I gave up my OLED due to burn in, but everyone will have a different experience in regards to burn in.

HTK

Banned
My big deciding factors to get an OLED were:

-Adoption of HDMI 2.1 were faster than most
- OLED Picture Quality
- Gsync and Freesync Premium included
- 1ms Response Time, no TV or game monitor competes with OLED in this category
- Input Lag, is super low and competes with gaming monitors while maintaining great image
- 4k 120hz
- VRR

Don't care much for Plasmas or CRT since they are dead platforms.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
I don't combar this. SDR content is supposed to be viewed at 100-120 nits and this is what 40 gives you full screen
So to be correct your oled brightness for sdr is 40, contrast is 85 and screen brightness is 50? Isnt your image really dark for sdr games?

OLED is the best display tech out right now but you're hyping it up a bit too much lol.

i have 2 OLED tvs (cx + c1) and sold my old Switch to get the OLED Switch. my phone is OLED. the only displays i have that aren't oled are my iPad and PC monitor.

yeah it makes everything look better but it's not changing gaming forever lmfao.

OLED's with HDR are good. But no hdr are almost as bad as VAs. But then again IPS screens with HDR are also pretty darn good, almost comparable to OLED. ITs HDR that's making most of the difference OP.
wut.

my monitor is an IPS and "HDR". it doesn't even come close to HDR on my OLED tvs. a Mini LED would be closer but still couldn't touch OLED due to the blooming.

OLED is hands down a superior picture, period, it's not even close.

But I gave up my OLED due to burn in, but everyone will have a different experience in regards to burn in.
of all the OLED displays i've ever owned i've never had burn in. my oldest current OLED is my CX which is 14 months old has absolutely zero burn in (i check regularly) and i watch shit almost every day on it. only had my C1 for a couple months now so too early. the C1 is probably more suspectible to burn in cause i sometimes have news channels on or channels with watermarks/static elements. so it'll be interesting to see how it holds up. if it does get burn in and it's bad then i'll get it replaced with warranty

Last edited:
Top Bottom