• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming has changed forever with OLED

hyperbertha

Guys, all you had to do was sit closer
They are all too busy justifying their own choices for themselves and jerking off. Personally I'm waiting for 32:9 HDR monitors to get reasonable. Blows away large screens when it comes to immersion. Its unbelievable. Almost feels like VR.
OLED is the best display tech out right now but you're hyping it up a bit too much lol.

i have 2 OLED tvs (cx + c1) and sold my old Switch to get the OLED Switch. my phone is OLED. the only displays i have that aren't oled are my iPad and PC monitor.

yeah it makes everything look better but it's not changing gaming forever lmfao.

wut.

my monitor is an IPS and "HDR". it doesn't even come close to HDR on my OLED tvs. a Mini LED would be closer but still couldn't touch OLED due to the blooming.
Then your IPS screen doesn't have full HDR I presume.

wvnative

OLED is the best display tech out right now but you're hyping it up a bit too much lol.

i have 2 OLED tvs (cx + c1) and sold my old Switch to get the OLED Switch. my phone is OLED. the only displays i have that aren't oled are my iPad and PC monitor.

yeah it makes everything look better but it's not changing gaming forever lmfao.

wut.

my monitor is an IPS and "HDR". it doesn't even come close to HDR on my OLED tvs. a Mini LED would be closer but still couldn't touch OLED due to the blooming.

of all the OLED displays i've ever owned i've never had burn in. my oldest current OLED is my CX which is 14 months old has absolutely zero burn in (i check regularly) and i watch shit almost every day on it. only had my C1 for a couple months now so too early. the C1 is probably more suspectible to burn in cause i sometimes have news channels on or channels with watermarks/static elements. so it'll be interesting to see how it holds up. if it does get burn in and it's bad then i'll get it replaced with warranty

My E7 got it pretty bad after 3 years. I just decided not to deal with it. Was a great 3 years though

What a lovely coincidence..

The user you quoted suggested a QN90A, far brighter than any OLED.

You might want to take a look at these:

An advice, stop talking about "plasma" as if they were a single panel. Unlike OLED, they were not made by a single company.
Every single one was vastly different from the other, so if your experience with them is limited to your friend's model, just mention that one.
I also had a Samsung plasma between a VT20 and the VT50, and it was so awful i've never bought a Samsung product since.

A KRP has no issues of any kind (except retention, which is shared with OLED). It has been considered the ultimate reference by the entire industry for a decade, and some people still regard it as the best panel ever produced for a reason.

I'm not sure why you're posting these videos, you can't really show brightness differences via video.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
So to be correct your oled brightness for sdr is 40, contrast is 85 and screen brightness is 50? Isnt your image really dark for sdr games?
40 pixel
85 contrast
50 brightness
Warm50
2.2 gamma

It's not dark at all. It's perfectly fine. Maybe looks dark for a moment after you exit HDR game.
But with SDR, I spend a lot of game on desktop, web browsing and so on. I prefer not to b blasting my eyes during that time and not to burn the screen hours too much.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
40 pixel
85 contrast
50 brightness
Warm50
2.2 gamma

It's not dark at all. It's perfectly fine. Maybe looks dark for a moment after you exit HDR game.
But with SDR, I spend a lot of game on desktop, web browsing and so on. I prefer not to b blasting my eyes during that time and not to burn the screen hours too much.
Ill try it out thanks!

Enjay

Banned
The electronics industry is gonna be fucking customers a long time. All they need is some new acronym or new term like blast processing and everyone will want it and swear to everyone elsebit changes the world.

ParaSeoul

The electronics industry is gonna be fucking customers a long time. All they need is some new acronym or new term like blast processing and everyone will want it and swear to everyone elsebit changes the world.
I don't think you understand the "electronics industry"

Deerock71

I have an ideal setup for Switch: a SWOLED and a 1080p 110" projector (BEAUTIFUL). But the problem I'm having is I prefer my TINY 7" OLED screen over my 1080p projector due to screen vibrancy and LAG. As a result, I'm playing a lot more in handheld and tabletop.

I would argue that any proper content on oled is to be viewed outside of direct sunlight or in the dark.
And I am not sure how 300 full screen and 700 peak windows is not bright enough. I exit the cave in uc4 and it’s blinding :p

I’m sure lots of people are totally happy with OLED. Here are the kinds of things that helped me go LED, but oled has clear advantages in some ways too. It’s just up to personal preference.
AUlxx1W.jpg
z1465YU.jpg

I felt like too many details get lost in black crush and I felt like scenes in sunlight were in a weird shadow. The bird, for example, is a brighter white and the sun is more natural (to me) on the LED. However, there are also scenes were the oled looks better…like I said, the both have their pros and cons. But I went with LED. If I was patient enough I would have waited on microLED, but that could still be years away. OLED and LED both have pros and cons. Just for my personal tastes, seeing them side by side in the store, I went LED. But it really came down to individual taste. The oled won some scenes and the sled won some scenes.

ethomaz

Banned
I’m sure lots of people are totally happy with OLED. Here are the kinds of things that helped me go LED, but oled has clear advantages in some ways too. It’s just up to personal preference.
AUlxx1W.jpg
z1465YU.jpg

I felt like too many details get lost in black crush and I felt like scenes in sunlight were in a weird shadow. The bird, for example, is a brighter white and the sun is more natural (to me) on the LED. However, there are also scenes were the oled looks better…like I said, the both have their pros and cons. But I went with LED. If I was patient enough I would have waited on microLED, but that could still be years away. OLED and LED both have pros and cons. Just for my personal tastes, seeing them side by side in the store, I went LED. But it really came down to individual taste. The oled won some scenes and the sled won some scenes.
Actually the bird picture is not in the same position so the light changed.
You can say OLED is more black than brighter but it will never remove the lighting from the objects... same for the QLED it won't add lighting where there is none.

That makes these pictures very suspicious... the image come from which content?

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Actually the bird picture is not in the same position so the light changed.
You can say OLED is more black than brighter but it will never remove the lighting from the objects... same for the QLED it won't add lighting where there is none.

That makes these pictures very suspicious... the image come from which content?
I saw this video its here

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Sure thing.

NEmC2NB.png

FlippantSmallHen-max-1mb.gif
that's not how it shows in reality.... This idiotic comparisons make oled look dull which is like WTF ?! the sun in hdr can be even 700-800 nits. It's blindingly vibrant and colorful.
if you play in your living room in the middle of the day, it's just a perceived "lack of brightness" compared to led tv. You need 1000000 nits to overcome the sun and daylight.
But you will not play like that during the night because it will raise black levels and blind the hell out of you.

Oled is better for critical and dark/night viewing.
LED is good for day. nothing more.

Which part of this or this looks dull or dark ?! And this is in HGIG. DTM goes quite a bit brighter

CMPnfsJ.jpeg
Rb3oMyD.jpeg

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
that's not how it shows in reality.... This idiotic comparisons make oled look dull which is like WTF ?! the sun in hdr can be even 700-800 nits. It's blindingly vibrant and colorful.
if you play in your living room in the middle of the day, it's just a perceived "lack of brightness" compared to led tv. You need 1000000 nits to overcome the sun and daylight.
But you will not play like that during the night because it will raise black levels and blind the hell out of you.

Oled is better for critical and dark/night viewing.
LED is good for day. nothing more.

Which part of this or this looks dull or dark ?! And this is in HGIG. DTM goes quite a bit brighter

CMPnfsJ.jpeg
Rb3oMyD.jpeg
That QN90a does a great job even in the evening or in a dark room but agreed it doesn't do as well as an OLED.

Where I tend to disagree with you is in super dark gaming scenes OLED doesn't like to come out black all that well and those really dark scenes can be actually too dark

And this is coming from someone who has a 77" C9 and 75" QN90a in the same room so its pretty easy for me to make direct comparisons though granted I dont have the latest OLED

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
That QN90a does a great job even in the evening or in a dark room but agreed it doesn't do as well as an OLED.

Where I tend to disagree with you is in super dark gaming scenes OLED doesn't like to come out black all that well and those really dark scenes can be actually too dark

And this is coming from someone who has a 77" C9 and 75" QN90a in the same room so its pretty easy for me to make direct comparisons though granted I dont have the latest OLED
Maybe this was an issue with older oleds. C1 does not seem to have black crush. At least nothing I can notice. It might have some "banding/posterization" instead in these areas

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

Always with your stealth flexs.

WE GET IT. YOU HAVE A 3090!

eNT1TY

Man i had my rare instance of good luck this holiday. Bought my son the LG C1 at PC Richards and they charged me for the LG A1 XD. Saved $300.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Maybe this was an issue with older oleds. C1 does not seem to have black crush. At least nothing I can notice. It might have some "banding/posterization" instead in these areas
This guy mentions the same thing I did even says C1 has a setting to raise blacks to help (I have it timestamped)

I just know when I play some games on my C9 some dark scenes are just too dark but then again I am getting old so maybe my eyes are not what they used to be :)

Last edited:

Vick

so left is plasma sdr ?
Yes. But as you said is an idiotic comparison since the only way to have the Panasonic plasma used in the comparison to look like that, and in a dark room no less, is to have the Contrast setting set at literal 0.

But that's HDTVTest for you.

Was just a response to the even more idiotic claim that brightness difference couldn't be shown in a video.

As an FYI, 600 nits brightness is about the bare minimum for HDR. HDR10 is designed for 1000 nits max brightness, but Dolby Vision and HDR10+ go far higher. Even the LG C1 maxes out around 800 nits. The Samsung QN90A goes up to about 2000 nits.

Both are very good televisions. But, technically, neither get bright enough to take full advantage of HDR+ (4000 nits) or Dolby Vision (4000 nits, but supports up to 10,000 nits). The LED just gets a lot closer to the brightness ideal, while the OLED gets closer to the darkness ideal.

Dream-Knife

Banned
As an FYI, 600 nits brightness is about the bare minimum for HDR. HDR10 is designed for 1000 nits max brightness, but Dolby Vision and HDR10+ go far higher. Even the LG C1 maxes out around 800 nits. The Samsung QN90A goes up to about 2000 nits.

Both are very good televisions. But, technically, neither get bright enough to take full advantage of HDR+ (4000 nits) or Dolby Vision (4000 nits, but supports up to 10,000 nits). The LED just gets a lot closer to the brightness ideal, while the OLED gets closer to the darkness ideal.
Do you have to wear welding googles with them? I keep my displays around 100.

Topher

Gold Member
Goodbye thread. You really just were not a very informative thread. I just feel like it is time to see other threads. I hope we can still be friends.

But.....you are kinda interfering with my GAF notification stuff so....yeah

drake GIF

Last edited:
Power draw (regulations like Energy Star) and heft/weight (those 34" non-curved WEGAs were like 200lbs) are why Plasma and CRT were obsoleted.
I could probably deal with a 200 pound wega right now in my late 20’s (though it would still be a bitch to move) if they weren’t so damn awkwardly large. the big widescreen ones are flat out impossible to move without help. And they have geometry (alignment) issues generally speaking.

Basically the picture quality is amazing but it’s a hassle anymore…THAT SAID, currently dealing to pick up a xbr 910 super fine pitch tube, not sure if I can talk him down enough though. Will be such a bitch to move lol. But damn I would love to play ps3/360/Wii games on that bad boy.
I’ll never get an OLED. I finally tried old black and white films at a friends place and classics look like shit. Extremely artificial contrast. Might be good for games but not much else.
Did you see the flashing artifacts?

Last edited:

tommib

Its pretty easy for me why OLED struggles in my house through the day I have a wall facing East that is a retractable window and tons of natural light comes in

T2JmynZ.jpg
FML. I made all the wrong life choices to not end up with a view like this.

Where is this?

Lunarorbit

Sometimes I feel like a caveman going into these threads. I have an old led sony that came bundled with my PS4 and I turn my other TV to game mode when I remember to.

I always see the crazy difference when I go to a show room though compared to my janky set up

That's called burn in, it's not the rule, it's a sign of someone who can't take care of their vita teehee
No, it's not. The black blotch effect was present on the screens of most Vitas from Day One. It coud be more or less noticeable ( in that photo Is ridicoulsly evidenced by overexposition) but It was visibile pretty much only on black screen when playing in the dark. It usually befane less visibile with time.

Top Bottom