• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming in 8K for the heck of it (experiment)

Anyone tried this so far?

I had a great deal on a 6950xt last week and decided to fiddle a bit with it, just to see what's doable and what's not. Playing on a 4k TV so it's basically 4x super sampling AA. It looks so good. The performance aren't ideal, as expected.

FPS: Far Cry 5 runs ok. Mid 30s, up to 50 fps or so.

Open World: Watch Dogs 1. Runs ok. Mid 30s, up to 50 fps or so. On a separate note, this game still looks fantastic, even by 2022 standard.

Fighters: Mixed bag. Tekken 7 or Soul Calibur 6 are a no go. Tekken 7 runs anywhere between 30 and 45 fps. Not fun at all. Soul Calibur 6 runs anywhere between 45-55 fps. This game slows the animation down when it's not running at a locked 60 fps so it's the worst of the bunch so far. Meanwhile, SFV, Killer Instinct and MKX all ran great.

Third Person: God of War runs at 24-27 fps native 8k, closer to 40 fps with FSR Quality.

Anyone else here with a similar card AMD side or 3080+ on team green willing to share their pointless finding? lol

try dark souls 1 w/ the dsfix.
you can probably set the internal res to 16k or higher.

my 980ti could do 8k most of the time.
looked a lot cleaner than 4k.

Playing on a 4k TV so it's basically 4x super sampling AA. It looks so good.
yeahhh thats how its done. the bigger you go in tv size, the more you notice the difference.

Last edited:

Hoddi

I run pretty much all my emulated games downsampled from 8k on a 2080 Ti. Wii U games, in particular, look fantastic at 8k and most of them have no problem running at 60fps. It's basically just BotW and Xenoblade that struggle but those are also 30fps games on the console.

I_D

Many years ago, a user on this very site posted a way to add custom resolutions into Windows, which would then let you run games at basically any resolution you wanted. Sadly, I cannot remember who it was, so I cannot give credit. I think his name was 'Derrick?'
Durante also created and posted GeDoSaTo many years ago, which was a Godsend at the time.

As a result, I've been using custom resolutions in games for many years. I haven't had to use that feature for a while since Nvidia added DSR, but it was extremely valuable back in the day.

8k gaming is extremely taxing on the performance (obviously), but the image-quality cannot be denied.
I know people still like to argue that there's no difference between 1080 and 4k, or whatever other random arguments people get into; but there's really no comparison. Gaming at 8k completely blows away 4k, which already looks way better than what most people are accustomed to.

And it's also why I don't bother listening to people who talk about "diminishing returns," because we aren't even close to using that as a measurement.
The difference between 4k and 1k (1080p) is already huge. The difference between 8k and 4k is even bigger.
I imagine we'll be somewhere around 128k before we finally start seeing diminishing returns.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I'm more interested long term in how 8k would look on an actual 8k set, assuming you could max out the texture detail / assets mastered at that resolution. But we are still a long ways off.

Last edited:
Top Bottom