• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming lessons you learned (the hard way)

Hey GAF, was wondering about any lessons you learned about games the hard way. For me, one of them was that sometimes, creator pedigree isn't everything. To elaborate, I really wanted to like Balan Wonderworld, in large part thanks to the pedigree behind it (they were even part of the marketing leading up to the release of the game, Yuji Naka and Naoto Oshima). But as of this thread I can't help but feel meh about the game itself. So hard lesson learned is that..as much as I hate to say it, sometimes creator pedigree isn't everything when it comes to games.

Traianvs

Still valid
8xzEpo9.jpg

RaZoR No1

Dont forget to save.

Better to save too much than not enough
And if the game gives you multiple Save slots, use it to avoid overwriting maybe a crucial save slot.

And maybe dont be obsesed in completing every challange etc in the game.. most of the it is not worth it and just drags the game out in a not fun way. Better to invest the time to reduce thr backlog 😅

twilo99

Quake is the most difficult game I've played to this day, both mentally and mechanically. It was hard, but it gave me skills that I've been able to apply to many other FPS shooters.

Quake pro league finals this weekend if you want to see some monsters aim and move around.

Last edited:

Barakov

Beware of quicksave in a no return situation spot and always save in multiple slots in case you fuck up

Never craft an item you can buy and save materials for craft-only items.
Yup. Learned that the hard way with Thief : Deadly Shadows on Xbox.

Ellery

- Be honest with yourself and don't like/hate something because it is cool to do so. Have an opinion of your own and if you like The Order 1886, Pokemon Snap, Final Fantasy XV, Crackdown 3 or Anthem then it is completely fine. At the end of the day the most important thing is for you, as a gamer actively playing a game, to enjoy it and even when people try their hardest to be hateful and negative on the internet with belittling, racist, homophobic, transphobic remarks at the end of the day it is their loss to be absolutely miserable and it is best to not be swayed by their rotting minds.
- Amount of games is nearly infinite and you will never play through all of them. Value your own time to play what you like. Even if you don't believe it, it is the most valuable thing you have.
- You are in a bubble and you probably ignore/defend or don't notice it. Many genres or games are actually quite good if you take the time to appreciate things outside your comfort zone.
- Good PC hardware is expensive and the returns of even more expensive hardware is diminishing. What good does a 2000$ RTX 3090 and 4000$ 4K HDR 144hz Monitor do if the 30$ games from CDKeys are average or console ports.
- People come from different generations. Many people didn't experience certain games when they were released so it is impossible for them to understand how magical and pure games used to be. They have their own games they are playing now and will dislike the future. Nostalgia plays a huge role and I advise people to not be stuck in the past thinking "everything used to be better". Maybe for some things that is the case, but it is well worth it to play modern games since we have seen many modern day masterpieces in recent times.
- Be careful when you let your friend play Final Fantasy X with your 150 hour save file memory card. Also backups !
- You are not the center of the universe for developers/creators/publishers. Not every single game is handmade for you.

Same ol G

Don't trust Square with the FF series.
People complained about FFXIII but the real shitfest was XV and VII remake.
I didn't preorder XVI and that's a first for me.

Don't trust Square with the FF series.
People complained about FFXIII but the real shitfest was XV and VII remake.
I didn't preorder XVI and that's a first for me.

I agree with XV but VII:R was awesome.

I think XV was a result of too much trust in Nomura and a complete lack of direction. They should have stuck to the XIII universe / FCN mythology and not made a bland open world RPG with an awful dudebro cast.

Playing MMO without friends is kind of a waste of time. Even when in a guild.

The never-ending grind REALLY feels like I'm chasing a unattainable carrot hanging in front of my face

WoW is a bit different IMO. EQ without friends is a chore, though. Same with FFXIV and ESO.

Last edited:

Same ol G

I agree with XV but VII:R was awesome.

I think XV was a result of too much trust in Nomura and a complete lack of direction. They should have stuck to the XIII universe / FCN mythology and not made a bland open world RPG with an awful dudebro cast.

WoW is a bit different IMO. EQ without friends is a chore, though. Same with FFXIV and ESO.
Well VII did look good i just didn't like what they did with the story the fact it's not complete and i rather had a more modern ATB system instead of the action rpg system we got.

Don't use 3rd party memory cards. (on older consoles)

It's better to go into any game you play without expectations. (positive or negative)

saintjules

Not creating more than 1 save for a game. It takes me back to Legaia 2: Duel Saga on the PS2. I was in some cave and the game crashed. My memory card showed the save corrupted and I had nothing to recover from.

Multiple saves is now a regular habit.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Kickstarter can't time machine nostalgia: Shenmue 3 and Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure. Reality basically sucker punched me in the face with massive disappointment.

If someone in unreal tournament puts a link in chat to lesbian-screensaver.exe, don't try to install it.
There used to be a time when you could just open a website and it would freeze your computer.

Also: Don't buy fallout 4 at full price, since it sucks.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Don't always believe the hype pre-console launch, yeah the flashy videos look good, but where are the games to justify the tech? I am looking at you Commodore CD32...
To be fair and off topic, the launch was never meant to be like that. Commodore were bleeding money and they had to get it out the door to try and sell, but hindsight is wonderful.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
As a newbie, blocking and dodging properly in Tekken can help you avoid an ass whooping.

EverlastingAdoredCapybara-size_restricted.gif

Unless you want over half your health bar taken away in a matter of seconds.

CompleteConcreteConch-max-1mb.gif

dave_d

If you've sold a game years ago never go on Price Charting and look how much it's worth now. (But to be fair Spiderman Web of Fire really was a terrible game and I figured nobody is going to go nuts over it.)

RAIDEN1

To be fair and off topic, the launch was never meant to be like that. Commodore were bleeding money and they had to get it out the door to try and sell, but hindsight is wonderful.
Yeah and at the time you are thinking you are buying the most cutting edge 32-bit console there is...and then you see the 3DO and realise where it's really at!

Achievements/Trophies are just an artificial way to get people with OCD to play your game more and “Achievement hunting” is a waste of time that makes games more monotonous. Also their main reason for existing nowadays is to see how far/long people play games for focus testing reasons.

“Only 40% of people get the achievement for beating the third boss!”
“Well I guess we better make the next game with a broader appeal/easier”

Back when I was in school all my friends used to come over after and we played smash melee. Obvs being a young teen I had limited money so some bought their own controller and others used the third party controller I had.

We must have gone through at least 4 third party controllers (I swear it was mad catz) that I bought through trading in games. Either they stopped responding or the main anologue stick would rip straight off.

I've never bought third party controllers since.

Fear of missing out is something that doesn't gets talked about enough, it's almost always better to be late to the party, always play at your own pace.

Top Bottom