• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamingBolt: 15 Best Racing Games of All Time

Topher

Gold Member
I hated Paradise when it launched. I went back to it a year or two ago and finished it on Switch and my feelings didn't change a lot. Busting through signs and billboards is fun but my feelings didn't change much. I dislike most open world racers and the fact that Paradise had so few finish lines made the races feel repetitive. Give me well designed closed tracks any day of the week. Burnout 2 is probably my favorite Burnout. PGR2 would be really high on my list as would Rallysport Challenge 1/2.

I hated the navigation system of Paradise more than anything. I get they wanted you to learn the city and figure out the best way to get around, but I'm like you and just wanted tracks made for taking out other drivers. That is what made Burnout awesome. Just absurd that game isn't being made any longer.

Hugare

Play Burnout 3 or Revenge.
Then youll look at paradise with a side eye.
I have played tons of Revenge with friends back then

But I think Paradise is open world racing perfected.

* Taking down cars to own them is brilliant.

* Breaking billboards make you explore the map for shortcuts so you can use this knowledge in races.

* Sense of speed is unmatched, to this day.

* Roads arent blocked during races, so you can miss one turn (or lots), take a completely different route and still win the race. It's always satisfying.

* The city is designed just perfectly, with easily recognized landmarks that served as starting/finishing points to races.

* You can chain boosts if you drive dangerously. So during a Stunt Run, even after the time runs out you can still make some points and win if you keep chaining your boosts.

I havent played a racing game that feels as good to play since then. To me, its perfection.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

This is the kind of shit list you'd get if you'd asked your nan. She'd say some games she heard of once or might have bought the grandkids in the not too distant past.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
1. Just about any Sega arcade racers with their awesome cockpits

2. Looking back not the greatest game (very arcadey), but the first Formula One game on PS. The leap in quality vs. 16-bit racers was incredible

3. Gran Turismo 3. Great 60 fps and rocking tunes, but useless AI and bumper car gameplay as you just ram the AI going around a corner and zoom ahead of them. Amazingly it also had 60 fps replays which I dont think any racers did for ages afterwards

Last edited:

Shifty1897

Imagine putting a Wipeout game on a best racing game list but not an F-Zero game.

What kind of darkest timeline bullshit is this.

LTTP, but that's a crap list. Forza 4 is easily better than 7. Likewise, GT4 > GT7.

The list just reads like someone who hasn't experienced anything older than 12 years of racing games.

ungalo

That's getting really embarassing at this point. Video game journalism shouldn't even exist, just a bunch of clowns.

Last edited:
Not in order:
GT3: A-Spec
Project Gotham Racing 2
Top Gear 2
Rallisport Challenge
Dirt
Extreme G 2
Ridge Racer

Last edited:

Cryio

FlatOut: Ultimate Carnage is not on the list?

Need for Speed Most Wanted 2005 is not on the list?

Disqualified.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
No BLUR ?

81fqvh0yVlL.jpg

what an absolute shitlist

tommib

Sorry to disappoint you guys but this is probably the racer I spent more hours with:

I’ll always love it more than anything else.

Last edited:

Tunned

That is a hard list to get right, and they got it WRONG. Well atleast they have PGR2 (GOAT) and Midtnight Club 3 DUB on there. GT7 has no business on that list, it should be 4, and NFS Hot Pursuit should be III or 2, and not the 2010 abomination Ridge Racer Knock off.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I have played tons of Revenge with friends back then

But I think Paradise is open world racing perfected.

* Taking down cars to own them is brilliant.

* Breaking billboards make you explore the map for shortcuts so you can use this knowledge in races.

* Sense of speed is unmatched, to this day.

* Roads arent blocked during races, so you can miss one turn (or lots), take a completely different route and still win the race. It's always satisfying.

* The city is designed just perfectly, with easily recognized landmarks that served as starting/finishing points to races.

* You can chain boosts if you drive dangerously. So during a Stunt Run, even after the time runs out you can still make some points and win if you keep chaining your boosts.

I havent played a racing game that feels as good to play since then. To me, its perfection.
Half the things you mentioned are actually bad things.

Needing to takedown a car to own vs doing face-offs is inherently worse.

The sense of speed is lower than both revenge and takedown because Paradise motion blur settings werent great.

The crash zone or rather the pinball mode that Burnout Paradise introduced was worse through and through.
Like probably the worst part of Paradise.

Missing a turn in Paradise then hoping you can still make it back on track and win the race, while also panicking that you cant restart the race isnt fun.....its literally the opposite.
Give me bespoke well designed tracks any day of the week.

Chain Boost is just Point of Impacts boost system, theres a reason Takedown and Revenge moved away from it for the superior chunks system.
Paradise has all the systems but the superior one even in that game is the Takedown/Revenge one.

Who the fuck asked for Stunt races in a burnout game?

Sega Rally??

Proyect Gothan Racing 4???

DriveClub??
Sega Rally wasn't great. There are better rally games. MUCH better.
PGR4 was pure shit. 3 was MILES better
Driveclub is a hate/love game. I love racers but HATE DC with all my heart.

The omission of Daytona and MotoGP makes this list complete BS.

Gudji

Sega Rally wasn't great. There are better rally games. MUCH better.
PGR4 was pure shit. 3 was MILES better
Driveclub is a hate/love game. I love racers but HATE DC with all my heart.

The omission of Daytona and MotoGP makes this list complete BS.
Yes, yes, let the hate flow...

revenge of the sith episode 3 GIF by Star Wars
Revenge Of The Sith Evil Laugh GIF by Star Wars

Hugare

Half the things you mentioned are actually bad things.

Needing to takedown a car to own vs doing face-offs is inherently worse.

The sense of speed is lower than both revenge and takedown because Paradise motion blur settings werent great.

The crash zone or rather the pinball mode that Burnout Paradise introduced was worse through and through.
Like probably the worst part of Paradise.

Missing a turn in Paradise then hoping you can still make it back on track and win the race, while also panicking that you cant restart the race isnt fun.....its literally the opposite.
Give me bespoke well designed tracks any day of the week.

Chain Boost is just Point of Impacts boost system, theres a reason Takedown and Revenge moved away from it for the superior chunks system.
Paradise has all the systems but the superior one even in that game is the Takedown/Revenge one.

Who the fuck asked for Stunt races in a burnout game?
It's all subjective and not factually bad. I love it, and I'll explain why:

* Needing to takedown a car to own them gels with the open world aspect. You dont need to stop what you are doing and enter an event just to face-off. You are minding your own business, then a car appears like a rocket and a chase begins. Much more dynamic and exciting, imo.

* Makes sense that Takedown and Revenge seems faster because they arent openworld. In Paradise racetracks were dynamic, so you didnt know the layout and had to think fast to make turns. Sense of speed had to be dialed down a bit so you could make a turn on time

* Paradise didnt have a crash mode. It was introduced in Burnout 2, no? Dont know what you are talking about here.

* I love the anxiety of missing a turn and still winning the race. Restarting races wasnt there at launch, but they have introduced with a patch back in the PS3/360 days. You can do it at any moment.

* And I didnt ask for Stunt Runs but I love them. Again, the anxiety feeling that you have to keep chaining boosts with risky moves because time ran out and you still have to make some points is amazing. My favorite mode from the game by far.
It's not easy to find ways to do stunts, so you have to look for jumps while managing your boost chain ... love it.

The game is almost perfect in my eyes. I would just remove DJ Atomica (ugh) and introduce the option to change cars on the fly without needing to go to a junkyard.

Last edited:

drganon

It's all subjective and not factually bad. I love it, and I'll explain why:

* Needing to takedown a car to own them gels with the open world aspect. You dont need to stop what you are doing and enter an event just to face-off. You are minding your own business, then a car appears like a rocket and a chase begins. Much more dynamic and exciting, imo.

* Makes sense that Takedown and Revenge seems faster because they arent openworld. In Paradise racetracks were dynamic, so you didnt know the layout and had to think fast to make turns. Sense of speed had to be dialed down a bit so you could make a turn on time

* Paradise didnt have a crash mode. It was introduced in Burnout 2, no? Dont know what you are talking about here.

* I love the anxiety of missing a turn and still winning the race. Restarting races wasnt there at launch, but they have introduced with a patch back in the PS3/360 days. You can do it at any moment.

* And I didnt ask for Stunt Runs but I love them. Again, the anxiety feeling that you have to keep chaining boosts with risky moves because time ran out and you still have to make some points is amazing. My favorite mode from the game by far.
It's not easy to find ways to do stunts, so you have to look for jumps while managing your boost chain ... love it.

The game is almost perfect in my eues. I would just remove DJ Atomica (ugh) and introduce the option to change cars on the fly without needing to go to a junkyard.
Dj atomica truly was scum.

LTTP, but that's a crap list. Forza 4 is easily better than 7. Likewise, GT4 > GT7.

The list just reads like someone who hasn't experienced anything older than 12 years of racing games.
Forza 7 was the perfect racer for me. 4 also was brilliant! Hard to choose between the two. 4 was heaving for touge drifting etc.
7 was more league esque online.

Love them both

Forza 7 was the perfect racer for me. 4 also was brilliant! Hard to choose between the two. 4 was heaving for touge drifting etc.
7 was more league esque online.

Love them both
I like FM7 a lot, but the career mode and forced homologation was big negative, IMO. Forza 4 was just peak Forza.

diffusionx

Gold Member
The only egregious omission on that list is F-Zero GX, that game could come out tomorrow and would be world-class 10/10 in every respect. Bump off CTR, although I get why they felt they needed to put a kart racer in there.

They picked the wrong entries for Burnout, FM, FH, MC, and PGR, but I get that’s a matter of taste.

Still laughing at how they seriously picked Forza Horizon 5 over 3 and even 1.
IMO Forza Horizon is one of those series that gets worse with every entry.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Posts some super obscure 360 game that nobody played
"oh cmon not on the list?!"

It was a good game but cmon lol
Bruh this fucking game was mario kart COD … obscure my ass.. killsstreaks level ups new unlocks.. i am so salty this shit died. There is still a community for it these days on modded servers

Last edited:
in no order i like
  • Mario Kart 8
  • Forza Horizon 4
  • Gran Turismo 2
  • RC Pro Am
  • Rad Racer
  • Tokyo Extreme Racer
  • Nascar 98'
  • Test Drive Unlimited
  • Jet Moto

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Burnout Paradise is the worst of Burnout games. The open world ruins the game. The closed tracks are what made the previous ones great.
Midnight Club 2 is better than 3
Wipeout Omega is only good because of the VR experience. Wipeout XL is the better Wipeout game.

Where is Blur?

Umbasaborne

Banned
> No Forza Motorsport 2

Okay, thanks for letting me know that this list is bull.
I would say the same but for 3, literally a perfect game.

This list reeks of recenty bias imo. Forza horizon 3 is similarly much better than 5. Also, no need for speed most wanted (2006)…the fuck?

Top Bottom