• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamingBolt: 15 Best Racing Games of All Time

Catphish

More like GamingDolt.

That site blows.

Where's AC? ACC? PC2?

jog on hot fuzz GIF

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This is a list of best racing games – not best racing simulators.

There's a meaningful difference.
The first quote in the OP (which is the first sentence in the video) is this. It covers all.
Racing games are an interesting genre, capable of appealing to all kinds of players. From realistic sims to arcade titles, there's a wide range of choices available with futuristic settings, open-world games, and so on.

Let's take a look back at some of the best racing titles, and what makes them so great.
As for the list itself, it looks like he only likes the last handful of generations of racers skewed to console. Anything before that, arcade games, hardcore PC sims they arent into them. Not even one Mario Kart game?

I'd put Sega's Daytona USA and Indy 500 in my top 10. Not the kind of games for in depth home play, but in terms of pure adrenaline rush against other people theyre awesome arcade games. Indy 500 played on 8 linked up cabinets were crazy fun. I'm positive this was the game where they had cameras on it, so all the people watching gamers play could see their face and reactions on the little tv screens above. The giant cockpits moved.

tumblr_ps6qrimpRQ1tp2r9i_1280.jpg

Last edited:

Stuart360

Daytona USA arcade
Ridge Racer PS1
Road Rash 3DO
The Need for Speed 3DO
WipeOut PS1.
Need for Speed Most Wanted (the orig one) 360
Super Mario Kart Snes

Some of my all time faves.

Dont really give a shit what some 22yo game journo thinks about this subject to be honest.

Last edited:

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
Dirt 2 was by far the best Dirt game released and never gets its due. Forza Motorsport 4 has been the best one yet, same with Gran Turismo 4.

I love racing games, of all types, I've played hundreds since Pole Position on the 2600.

I've even played Kinetica on PS2 same as another member.

This list is shortsighted and just plain wrong.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
They should have put Need for speed undercover on the list, because of the appearance of Maggie Q.😛

Last edited:

marcincz

I wonder where is Gran Turismo 2? It was something incredible at that time. People bought PS1 for GT2.

Besides any Test Drive? Driveclub?

Well, I guess that's a list...

I realize this is all subjective, but so many obvious omissions and odd rankings in my opinion.

Droxcy

What is this list, if you're going to make a list include PS1/PS2/Xbox

Gran Turismo 2 should be at the top. Along with FH1, Assetto Corsa.

Catphish

Another Gamingbolt article "The best 10 games in a genere that are also the only one I know"
I honestly hate that site. I don't hate many things, and I'll readily admit that hating a gaming website is pretty fucking childish, but I don't care. I hate it.

Every video of theirs I've ever watched has left me stupider than I was before. Zero useful information and low-hanging-fruit assertions throughout.

That their videos get tens of thousands of views makes me want to chew off my own lips.

lem0n

FM7 at #2? Hahahahaha. I'm sorry, but no. Forza Motorsport 4 would be the only FM I'd entertain being on this list. PGR2 and DUB Edition being included, as well as DiRT Rally, gave me some hope though. Some bangers on there but yeah personally I cannot agree. But hey it's his opinion, not mine.

Where is GT3? There's a reason why that game sold like 15m copies. Back then, there weren't many games that sold that much. I think GTA 3 was the only other game that sold more.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Given the level of interest, widespread praise, and sales that the biggest sports and racing games tend to generate on a regular basis, it feels weird to call them a niche category of games. Even so, it requires its audience to have very particular tastes- and if you do have those tastes, you’re probably pretty happy about how 2022 went.

Arcade racers, hardcore racing sims, addictive management simulators, you name it- 2022 was chock-full off great sports and racing games to play on a pretty consistent basis. Here, we’ll talk about our favorite games from that group, before crowning one of them as the one that captured our attention more than all the others.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
My all time favorite is Kinetica. Whenever i mention this game to my friends, they give me a blank stare because they have no idea what it is. Hidden gem in the ps2 library.

Hh4bz74.jpg

nxULvqX.jpg
Don’t be weird by mentioning some obscure game as best ever :p
Looks like wipeout clone.

Anyway. Burnout paradise? Sure, I agree but the. The list is garbagae lol.
No most wanted, no underground 2…

Paradise number 1?
Its not even the best Burnout game let alone the best racing game of all time.

burnout-takedown-keyart.jpg.adapt.crop16x9.575p.jpg
I am so confused by Burnout Paradise, that shit felt soulless. Maybe its better then I remembered.

So people should stop mentioning super old ass games. Like they even touch shitty modern racing games.

bender

What time is it?
I hated Paradise when it launched. I went back to it a year or two ago and finished it on Switch and my feelings didn't change a lot. Busting through signs and billboards is fun but my feelings didn't change much. I dislike most open world racers and the fact that Paradise had so few finish lines made the races feel repetitive. Give me well designed closed tracks any day of the week. Burnout 2 is probably my favorite Burnout. PGR2 would be really high on my list as would Rallysport Challenge 1/2.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I am so confused by Burnout Paradise, that shit felt soulless. Maybe its better then I remembered.

So people should stop mentioning super old ass games. Like they even touch shitty modern racing games.
You can emulate burnout takedown and revenge right now.

Racing games peaked already.
The only game that gets close to Takedown is Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit'10.
I love Forza Horizon but they aint Burnout.

drganon

I hated Paradise when it launched. I went back to it a year or two ago and finished it on Switch and my feelings didn't change a lot. Busting through signs and billboards is fun but my feelings didn't change much. I dislike most open world racers and the fact that Paradise had so few finish lines made the races feel repetitive. Give me well designed closed tracks any day of the week. Burnout 2 is probably my favorite Burnout. PGR2 would be really high on my list as would Rallysport Challenge 1/2.
I got paradise myself on the 360 back in the day but didn't get far. Got it cheap for the ps4 and made alot more progress this year, but it still wasn't as good to me as takedown or revenge.

LostDonkey

I can't take anyone serious who makes a list of best racing games and does not include Ridge Racer at least somewhere.

Hugare

#1 0:23 Burnout: Paradise Remastered

damn right walter white GIF by Breaking Bad

I still play it to this day. The gameplay loop is just the best.

Best sense of speed and controls in an arcade racer, ever

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
#1 0:23 Burnout: Paradise Remastered

damn right walter white GIF by Breaking Bad

I still play it to this day. The gameplay loop is just the best.

Best sense of speed and controls in an arcade racer, ever
Play Burnout 3 or Revenge.
Then youll look at paradise with a side eye.

Top Bottom