• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamingBolt: 7 Absolutely Terrible GTA Clones

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

There's been a steady supply of open world games over the years from major companies like Sony and Rockstar Games. However, Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto 3 pretty much kick-started the craze, presenting a crazy open world playground that players could get lost in.

Of course, with any success comes imitators, whether it's those looking to “borrow” some of the mechanics and bolt them on to pre-established franchises or simply using similar themes (especially in the case of GTA: San Andreas) for awful cash-grabs. Let's take a look at seven of the worst Grand Theft Auto-inspired titles and clones here.

Driver 3, True crime, APB, 25 to life and other garbage games...

Kuranghi

I played the og APB near launch, holy shit balls it was bad. The drivebys from random players was hilarious though.

Kuranghi

Leave Driv3r alone!

Getting out of the car was a farce yes but the missions were alright iirc and I remember the environment was cool at the very least. I have memories of failing a "stunt course" on a building site like 50x lol.

I_D

True Crime doesn't deserve to be on this list. It has better gameplay than GTA3 and VC.

It had a terrible story, mind you, but the gameplay was better than that of GTA.

Roufianos

Makes me reminiscent of the days where we actually got GTA and its various clones. Feels like the whole crime sandbox genre is completely empty at the moment.

zephiross

I remember having a blast with true crime as a kid. I don't know why but the dojo where your learned the fighting styles seemed like a pretty cool mechanic and that's what I remerber the most about this game.

jigglet

Banned
I played the og APB near launch, holy shit balls it was bad. The drivebys from random players was hilarious though.

The crazy thing about the APB disaster was MS immediately approached him afterwards and said: here's a blank cheque and an unlimited timeline to make Crackdown 3.

I mean what possibly gave MS confidence this guy could deliver.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
It’s okay to be a clone of a great franchise like GTA.

the clone wars clones GIF by Star Wars

mcjmetroid

Ya true crime being there just kind of kills the credebility of the list as does using the phrase " GTA-CLONE".
and
"absolutely terrible"

I wish gaming channels would become a little bit more mature with their wording and content.
Then the video starts with high profiles games and decends into indie games?

I don't believe for a second the guy in this video played many of these for long or if at all.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I remember not liking what I saw of True Crime: Streets of LA, but I owned Streets of NY and it was mostly good fun. Great music in there. It’s a shame that my main memory these years later is that it was the first time a game let enemies shoot me through a wall in a particular room.

True Crime turned into Sleeping Dogs, one of the only GTA alternatives. Shame that’s also dead.

Top Bottom