• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamingBolt: EA Is Proving EVERYONE WRONG...

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

This wasn't a position that any of us would have expected EA to be in until not too long ago. It was the company you'd least expect to be investing in big-budget single player games, so to see it once again beginning to see the value of that side of gaming has been one of the most pleasant surprises in the industry in recent years.

Sure, live services are still the bulk of EA's business, and obviously, that's always going to be the case- but we're finally at a point where the company has figured out that it doesn't have to be one or the other. As long as the games are well-made, both styles can coexist.

Wildebeest

Is EA the American Capcom? Not so sure. They dropped a massive clanger with Battlefield. They are still the company that made FIFA.

L*][*N*K

Banned
No, they're not. Also, they have a long ways to go. One fucking game, an awesome remake with traversal stutter, among other issues, lol.
I'm seeing more and more idiot youtubers use absolutes to garner clicks + stupid thumbnails.
Okay maybe it is not as positive as the video says but it is not as bad as you say either

drganon

They're not actively falling apart like Ubisoft and aren't infested with sex pests like Activision ( at least that we know of).

You don't always have to be great, just less terrible than your competition.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
No, they're not. Also, they have a long ways to go. One fucking game, an awesome remake with traversal stutter, among other issues, lol.
I'm seeing more and more idiot youtubers use absolutes to garner clicks + stupid thumbnails.

It's not one game though? Over the last few years they've had It Takes Two, Mass Effect Legendary Edition, Dead Space, Wild Hearts, and Jedi Survivor.

As L*][*N*K L*][*N*K said, it's not as positive as the video says but not as bad as you say either.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Dead Space remake was *almost* good enough to forgive EA for their shit across the PS4/XBO gen.

Almost.

winjer

Gold Member
Just because EA has released a couple of good games, doesn't mean they have changed and proved everyone wrong.

They are still far away from releasing GOTY material stuff.
Just because they released a couple singleplayer games it doesn't mean that they're still not one of the worst publishers.
When they manage to release some banger single and multiplayer games without microtransaction pay to win shit then we can talk.

Go_Ly_Dow

Arguably the most unecessary remake of all time which was a glorified remaster job and a short sequel released in a shoddy state on all platforms.

The industry is in a sorry state when that deserves applause.

Last edited:

SEGA_2012

They are still a piece of shit company, Dead Space and Jedi Survivor are two mediocre games and fuck you gaming bolt for this shitty article.

Cashon

Banned
Since 2018 (I was going to do since 2010, but I the list was too long for me to type out):
Fe
A Way Out
Unravel 2
Sea of Solitude
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
Star Wars Squadrons
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit Remastered
It Takes Two
Mass Effect: Legendary Edition
Lost in Random
Need for Speed Unbound
Dead Space
Star Wars Jedi: Survivor

This is a pretty respectable list of single-player games with few/no micro transactions, loot boxes, etc... The narrative about EA, as is increasingly common these days, lacks nuance.

ungalo

I'm kind of in between. It's not a miracle, but it has to be noted that they are trying to see if there is still some room for this kind of games. I don't think people should dismiss any visible effort just because it's EA either. They also shouldn't praise the games just because it's solo and not GAAS.

But this is what's tricky. They still make some low or midbudget published games with indie studios, some safe licensed games, some remakes, and it's not going to go much further than that, which is kind of sad. So in any case, even if they're trying a little bit, they're not the publisher you're expecting something from.

This is a pretty respectable list of single-player games with few/no micro transactions, loot boxes, etc... The narrative about EA, as is increasingly common these days, lacks nuance.
Yep, the same blinded nonsense people also spread about Ubi, which are actually releasing some more interesting titles beside reskinned Ubi-tower games.
Imho from the big publishers only Activision strives to be only CoD and really just that, throwing a ton of studios on this single IP to be able to push out yearly iterations, and only the Blizzard arm is still doing a bit more, even though they tradionally had not that many IPs to begin with. Even Take 2 has a bit more than GTA even though not much either.

Last edited:
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

DA FUQ?

EA is, and continues to be, literally the fucking worst.

stn

Their recent output has been quite good overall, but at the same time they also have some stinkers. FIFA on Switch is a prime example of pure shit.

RavageX

I always see a lot of blind hate for no reason. Same with Ubisoft. A lot of people focus on one or two games, but they release a decent number. They get some things wrong, and some they expand on. Ghost Recon Wildlands I thought was great, Breakpoint not so much. Rocksmith 2014 remastered...a GREAT work. Rocksmith+...hell no. EA still tries with some areas, UFC (though I wish they would just do boxing) Need for Speed, that Jedi game...I'm still playing the first one, but I see nothing wrong with that game.

There are others that do WAY worse is my point. It's easy to just say, "Oh yeah, they suck." but do you have a real reason?

Another thing to look at, it kinda seems like a lot of companies suck at making games now. They hire people who don't seem to know what they are doing, based off of whatever current trend is going on. These people produce bad work or no work at all, and spend their time complaining about things that have nothing to do with what they should be doing (their work). I don't know if it was always like this some, but I see it a lot nowadays.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
I am one of the few people not impressed with the dead space remake, and feel like I am going crazy seeing it praised so much. Gameplay and even the graphics were pretty underwhelming.

With that said, I did buy it, because I can at least appreciate studio's that can still deliver competent single pretty titles. Especially with the AAA drought we've had the past few years.

Ristifer

The company that murdered Dead Space ends up bringing it back in remake form. Bravo, EA. Bravo...

Maybe if they had Motive create a Dead Space 4 that blew everyone away, I'd be more intrigued by a redemption arc. But this ain't it.

Cashon

Banned
I am one of the few people not impressed with the dead space remake, and feel like I am going crazy seeing it praised so much. Gameplay and even the graphics were pretty underwhelming.

With that said, I did buy it, because I can at least appreciate studio's that can still deliver competent single pretty titles. Especially with the AAA drought we've had the past few years.
Yeah, I didn't feel that way. I played the Dead Space remake on my Series X and then immediately followed it up with the Resident Evil 4 remake on the same system.

I prefer Dead Space.

To be fair, they are two very different types of gameplay. One is meant to be slow and methodical while the other is more fast-paced and action-y. Graphically, the lighting in Dead Space is far better, which greatly adds to the ambiance. I think one reason that people find it relatively underwhelming, especially compared to Resident Evil 4, is because the original Dead Space, especially on the Series X, still looks pretty good today. But the difference between the original and the remake is still stark if you directly compare them.

Umbasaborne

Banned
ea has been doing great lately. Deadspace, the latest need for speed, pga tour, and starwars are great (even though starwars is still super broken on pc). But i know that since we are on the internet and we need validation from others its easier to just going into sheep mode and say “duuurh ea bad! Reddit say so!!”

Thabass

You only make videos like this if the company is being consistent. One game doesn't mean EA has figured it out yet. Let's see them build upon that...

Killer8

Mass Effect on life support.
Burnout killed.
Medal of Honor dead.
Latest NFS was mid.
Battlefield a laughing stock.
They lost the FIFA license.

Uh...

Top Bottom