• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamingBolt: What The Hell Happened To Kameo?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Kameo: Elements of Power was released in 2005 for the Xbox 360, as an exclusive launch title. The game was a highly-anticipated release and was received pretty well at launch by both critics and fans. However, it's rare to see the game being brought up in any discussions today both by fans and the developer, which ultimately begs the question - what the hell actually happened to Kameo?

I love the game and especially the interactive water. Was the game that made me focus on waters from games.

Ceadeus

I could go for some more Kameo, but a new Viva Pinata would be even better.
I could see housing in a new Kameo, in which you would have your house and garden. You could rescue/collect all sort of pinata in the world and bring it back to your garden.

There could be a viva pinata mini game in Kameo. A full fledged game mode that would serve as an end game content!

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
I fucking love Kameo.

Everwild kind of looks like a mix of Kameo and Viva Pinata. I mean, we've never seen gameplay and the project just got rebooted, but it's giving me these vibes.

BabyYoda

Banned
Funnily enough I recently replayed this game, I always love games that let me shapeshift! I'll be honest though, it hasn't aged very well, the game is mixed graphically (it started as a Game cube game I think), it has horrible difficulty spikes, the controls are unintuitive and clunky and the list goes on.

But it was still worth playing through and I do love most of the creatures that Rare created. I would love a more refined sequel (spiritual or otherwise), shame it was cancelled, although a more realistic direction for a planned sequel was misguided at best imho.

I'm now replaying through the brilliant Banjo & Kazooie N&B's, now that is a forgotten and underrated masterpiece! Yeah it has a few problems of it's own, like controls and a camera that are not precise enough, weird and erratic driving physics and some difficulty spikes.

But it's really gorgeous (I'm sad Rare stopped using their own in-house engines), the world's and hub are fantastic (for the most part) and the vehicle creation aspect is true innovation, with endless potential, man does it make me sad we've never had a sequel, too many whiners prevented that...

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Kameo was fun, there weren't many of these games on the PS360. I enjoyed it for what it was. I think its a notch above Ratchet if i'm honest. It had more charm and was more of a pure platform/adventure game.

Barlow

I fucking love Kameo.

Everwild kind of looks like a mix of Kameo and Viva Pinata. I mean, we've never seen gameplay and the project just got rebooted, but it's giving me these vibes.
Some stuff in Everwild is from Kameo 2 Prototype

Last edited:

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
Some stuff in Everwild is from Kameo 2 Prototype
That's interesting. One of Everwild's artists was indeed involved with Kameo 2.

Do you know exactly what came from the prototype? I just compared the Everwild trailers to the Rare Replay video but I can't see it. Can't find anything on Google either.

The thing about this, though, I can ask what the hell happened to a lot more I enjoyed: Dark Cloud, Icarus, darkSector, and so many more from Sony, Sega, etc.

Velius

Banned
I loved Kameo.

Just leave it the fuck alone. Don't remake it. Don't make a sequel. Jesus christ just fucking leave shit alone

Deerock71

As far as the gaming scene goes, she was OBVIOUSLY living up to her name.
Awkward The Simpsons GIF

kiphalfton

I wonder if Dark Cloud morphed into ni no Kuni. Dark cloud was awesome
Maybe I was just super under leveled (?) but I couldn't even beat the first boss in the first Dark Cloud. Didn't play the second game, which I guess was somewhat similar to Legend of Zelda. I dunno, I know a lot of people loved the game though. Building component kind of sucked, but again maybe it was just a matter of me not getting far enough into the game to really see it open up and get good.

Matt is running out of bad games to analyze? He's dissected the background of several legitimately decent games lately

I like his videos, but I get more enjoyement of someone ripping Drake of the 99 Dragons than a good, if flawed, game.

Matt is running out of bad games to analyze? He's dissected the background of several legitimately decent games lately

I like his videos, but I get more enjoyement of someone ripping Drake of the 99 Dragons than a good, if flawed, game.
I guess I'm one of the few that really enjoyed Kameo. The graphics absolutely stunned me for back in the day. Seeing hundreds of orks all at the same time on the screen was mind-blowing to me. The horse riding was well done. Each level design was so different, colourful and unique.

I imagine it did not sell as well as expected. Personally, I would love a sequel.

Top Bottom