• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamingBolt: What The Hell Is Going On With Xbox Game Studios?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Y'all need to read the articles before commenting I swear.e

Deathloop was not counted under MS, it was counted under Bethesda's rank at #5

Its still been part of the conversation surrounding their performance and the significant part still applies -as in the project was well underway at the point of acquisition in regards to Psychonauts.
If I was looking to pick at the Metacritic ranking I'd simply disallow the port of Flight Sim, especially given how much of the heavy lifting tech-wise is handled by the exact same back-end as the previous year's PC version.

Said it before, and I'm happy to stand by my opinion that they simply did not deserve the #1 spot for basically Forza alone.

If you want't to discuss, let's base it around this: Metacritic XGS Releases sorted by date.

Sorry, but that list is not in any way, shape or form impresssive in my opinion.

Riky

$MSFT
Interesting thoughts here,

Obviously a lot of these games like Avowed and Perfect Dark are running on UE5 which has only just been officially released, so hopefully this will help with development.
We're going to get some incredible looking games.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Its still been part of the conversation surrounding their performance and the significant part still applies -as in the project was well underway at the point of acquisition in regards to Psychonauts.
If I was looking to pick at the Metacritic ranking I'd simply disallow the port of Flight Sim, especially given how much of the heavy lifting tech-wise is handled by the exact same back-end as the previous year's PC version.

Said it before, and I'm happy to stand by my opinion that they simply did not deserve the #1 spot for basically Forza alone.

If you want't to discuss, let's base it around this: Metacritic XGS Releases sorted by date.

Sorry, but that list is not in any way, shape or form impresssive in my opinion.

Charlie Day Reaction GIF

Ozriel

M$FT
No it isn’t.

I think you’re confusing me with someone else, I didn’t say that.

Will Ferrell Lol GIF by NBA

First game hit 1m players after a year so not really a commercial flop either.

If you wanted to keep this honest, you'd have used the PS4 metacritic which sits at 68% with over twice as many reviews.

Comparing it with Sea of Thieves, a live service game that was dinged on content (and not gameplay like YL) and which went on to overcome its content issue (as expected of a live service game) and sold probably close to 10 million units is quite the reach.

It’s 2022. This interview is with Gavin Price. The name might not mean anything to you, but let’s just say he might know about the inner workings of Rare and its culture just a little bit more than you.

Again, this is not an honest contribution.
This interview was done in 2022, but it's relating to the situation at Rare not long after Banjo Nuts and Bolts was shipped in 2008. Not current conditions as you've tried to insinuate. Gavin Price didn't even claim the culture was broken or toxic...he said they were encouraged to tackle IPs with commercial prospect and that struggling IP was not greenlit.

You pitching studio conditions and publisher expectations in the Don Mattrick era to current conditions under Phil's hands-off policy is just plain mischief.

So no, there's absolutely nothing in that interview that's contradictory to what Phil has said about Rare being free to choose to make what they like.

Ozriel

M$FT
Interesting thoughts here,

Obviously a lot of these games like Avowed and Perfect Dark are running on UE5 which has only just been officially released, so hopefully this will help with development.
We're going to get some incredible looking games.

They've already been working with UE5 since early 2021, i believe. No need to wait for the official release. Same with the likes of the Coalition

Ozriel

M$FT

Yeah, you certainly would love to discuss around a list that erroneously puts XGS as the publisher for The Gunk and lists the MC score for the PC version of Halo Infinite (which has FAR fewer reviews and a much lower MC score than the console version). No review score for Flight Sim console release either.

The desperation to downplay is real.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I thought Q3-Q4 was crazy, at one point I had 3 Xbox games on my top 5 of the year. I think MS deserve recognition for how they ended the year after having an awful start of the new generation. For me it was particularly impressive since I didn’t buy a single game, everything came to Gamepass. Even got to play Flight Sim in VR on Quest 2. Awesome! 👌

Warablo

I just think Xbox fans are waiting for other standout hits other than the Halo/Gears cycle from the great 360 days.

Forza Horizon is one
Sea Of Thieves is not my game, but has most appeal to casual family audience.
State of Decay is a decent game, but still feels low budget and small in scope.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Yeah, you certainly would love to discuss around a list that erroneously puts XGS as the publisher for The Gunk and lists the MC score for the PC version of Halo Infinite (which has FAR fewer reviews and a much lower MC score than the console version). No review score for Flight Sim console release either.

The desperation to downplay is real.

Its not my list, and not my award! You got a bone to pick, take it up with Metacritic not the guy who simply linked to it :D

That you're happy to cheerlead their opinion only when it suits your perspective, and dismiss it as "downplaying" when it doesn't speaks volumes.

Fredrik Fredrik

Fair enough man. I respectfully disagree myself, because although it was definitely better than in previous years, I don't think they are quite there yet.
I'm not slagging them off, I just didn't find the line-up overly impressive outside of Forza, which I think was legitimately great. Had Halo Infinite been a slam-dunk I'd be more agreeable. But its issues have been well-covered.

Even with all the new studios, still cant seem to get wide appeal, they are too American cultured, thats why us and uk is where they make all their money, sooner or later they need to figure out how they can get world wide appeal.

They've yet to benefit from a single new game from the Bethesda or Activision acquisitions. I would wait for the big exclusive stuff to drop from Bethesda and for those Activision games, past, present, future to start dropping into Game Pass before assuming they can't get wide appeal. Xbox is killing it out there sales wise right now, and it's doing it without many of its big new games still not releasing yet. And it isn't just selling in the USA either.

adamsapple

They've yet to benefit from a single new game from the Bethesda or Activision acquisitions. I would wait for the big exclusive stuff to drop from Bethesda and for those Activision games, past, present, future to start dropping into Game Pass before assuming they can't get wide appeal. Xbox is killing it out there sales wise right now, and it's doing it without many of its big new games still not releasing yet. And it isn't just selling in the USA either.

Good point. People like taking a piss about the acquisitions not increasing Series sales tenfold overnight, when we haven't exactly received a single exclusive from even the Bethesda acquisition so far. And there won't be any Activision exclusive for maybe a year or two even after the deal closes since their next couple of primary games (CoDs and Diablo IV) are already penned as multi platform projects.

Can't reap the benefits when it hasn't beared (sp) the fruits yet.

Last edited:
Good point. People like taking a piss about the acquisitions not increasing Series sales tenfold overnight, when we haven't exactly received a single exclusive from even the Bethesda acquisition so far. And there won't be any Activision exclusive for maybe a year or two even after the deal closes since their next couple of primary games (CoDs and Diablo IV) are already penned as multi platform projects.

Can't reap the benefits when it hasn't beared (sp) the fruits yet.

And even then it has still outsold PS5 4 out of the last 5 months including the big holiday shopping period. It literally just outsold both PS5 and Nintendo Switch in the UK for the month of March, and there's a very high chance it could possibly lead March NPD also. Not bad for a system that hasn't gotten the benefit of any of its biggest ever gaming acquisitions just yet.

Fredrik

Fair enough man. I respectfully disagree myself, because although it was definitely better than in previous years, I don't think they are quite there yet.
I'm not slagging them off, I just didn't find the line-up overly impressive outside of Forza, which I think was legitimately great. Had Halo Infinite been a slam-dunk I'd be more agreeable. But its issues have been well-covered.
From a metacritic perspective Halo Infinite was great. Problem is, from a gamer perspective it tumbled down after awhile. It happens. As a publisher MS still delivered in 2021.

Their plan for 2022 on the other hand is something else…
Bored Nothing GIF

nemiroff

Gold Member
Not a fan of big companies buying up independent devs in general. With that said, MGS has come a long way, they are massively solid now under Spencer. You'd be a fool to not recognize this, they've been learning from their mistakes for sure. Something has to be done about 343 though, the studio has been given too many chances (not talking about Metacritic here..).

Last edited:

Lupin25

And even then it has still outsold PS5 4 out of the last 5 months including the big holiday shopping period. It literally just outsold both PS5 and Nintendo Switch in the UK for the month of March, and there's a very high chance it could possibly lead March NPD also. Not bad for a system that hasn't gotten the benefit of any of its biggest ever gaming acquisitions just yet.

The PS5 has no stock lol.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
you and I know why it outsold the PS5.
try harder.

Dolodolo

I don't understand why some people just can't accept the fact.
When console inventory returns to normal, it will be a miracle if xbox wins any month anywhere.
It's just a fact. Whether you like it or not. Playstation is a bigger brand. There is nothing wrong with that. Accept the truth.

I'm not arguing that the Hellblade 2 demo is the most beautiful game right now in general. No one in their right mind would argue with that.

Try everything. Accept reality, whatever your preference :)

Fredrik

Yes. They try very hard to pretend to be fools, supposedly not knowing why this is happening.
I hope to meet each of them in the fall of 2023, when Spiderman 2 comes out and Ps5 in sales will simply devour the xbox wherever it is possible and impossible
You think supply will be better in 2023?
Read this and cry

II_JumPeR_I

If Rumors are true and Sony is ready to launcH psvr2 late this year, and God of war comes out this year as well with their partnered titles like Forspoken. Sorry but no amount of money spent on a Acquisition can dispel the issues of Microsoft not putting out games.
Most people wont care about psvr2. That wont bring the world on fire.

God of War is okey but sadly got way too samey with other Sony games and i doubt that game will make it in 2022.

Ozriel

M$FT
Yes. They try very hard to pretend to be fools, supposedly not knowing why this is happening.
I hope to meet each of them in the fall of 2023, when Spiderman 2 comes out and Ps5 in sales will simply devour the xbox wherever it is possible and impossible

That would be the same holiday where you’d probably see $220 Series S consoles with Overwatch 2 in Gamepass, plus the entire Activision library.

Spiderman 2 is a sales monster but let’s not forget that Xbox would also have a much more compelling library then than they have now.

You'd probably see both consoles selling out, much to your chagrin.

Ozriel

M$FT
you and I know why it outsold the PS5.
try harder.

Because they’ve managed their stock situation quite well?
Selling units now when there’s a first party drought is quite good.

Naturally, PS5 would likely have sold better if enough stock was available.

It’s quite the puzzling cock-up from Sony to not push for significant stock to coincide with the launch of their big hitting first party games GT7 and Horizon. They’ll lose out on many launch window sales as a result.

Dolodolo

That would be the same holiday where you’d probably see $220 Series S consoles with Overwatch 2 in Gamepass, plus the entire Activision library.

Spiderman 2 is a sales monster but let’s not forget that Xbox would also have a much more compelling library then than they have now.

You'd probably see both consoles selling out, much to your chagrin.

Much to my dismay? That's funny Of course, the Xbox will also sell well, but let's not pretend that when supplies improve, it will have a chance to overtake the Ps5.

Ozriel

M$FT
Much to my dismay? That's funny Of course, the Xbox will also sell well, but let's not pretend that when supplies improve, it will have a chance to overtake the Ps5.

Yes. I said that. Because you seem upset at the fact that the Series X is selling well. And all this talk about one console ‘devouring’ the other one is strangely pre-pubescent lingo. Not to mention the cringeworthy talk about coming back to crow at people when the PS5 outsells the xbox series consoles.

I do not expect the Xbox series consoles to outsell the PS5 this generation. Though I expect a much better showing this gen from xbox, and it looks on course for that.

As a multi-console owner, it thrills me to see both sides doing well. Competition is great, most of the time.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I rather enjoy this silliness where everybody is concern trolling the #1 publisher of the prior year as each of their studios go through the same early, mid, late project issues that all studios go through. Did Xbox Game Studios not absolutely kill it last year? Do they not get time to actually build their games and find their way in a project like all studios do?

If you keep behaving like there is a massive reason to be worried, maybe it becomes a reality? I think that's what some hope for, but I think they'll be disappointed on that front.

IKR, the position of the "concerned" is a strange one. It could fit more if all of the growth at XGS was via creating brand new studios and teams, but with the growth coming from acquisitions of proven studios, I don't get it. I guess they figure these studios forgot how to develop software once that new banner got added in. 🤷‍♂️

adamsapple

I dunno what's going on but holy fuck are they slow in getting games out or even showing updates to games announced 3 years ago.

It's not like there's a global pandemic going on that's impacted the entire world or anything.

Anyway, last gen Sony used to get the same criticisms for revealing games too early with CG announcement trailers. Ultimately what matters is if the games are good when they come out.

Last edited:
You may be right. All 30 studios are probably just sitting down and twiddling thumbs all day.
They might as well be …

Xbox started buying studios years ago and they barely have anything to show for it right now.

Two of Bethesda’s latest games are PS5 exclusives at the moment and who knows if Starfield will actually release this year.

We still have a lot of time left in the year so things could happen but it’s not looking good.

Shit takes time yadayadayada

MS should be fine. From the outsider's perspective, 343 and Rare are the obvious ones that need to be reined in. Most of their studios I think have proven they can just carry on business as usual though and the games will come

ActiBliz will be interesting to see once the studios start moving away from COD. See how they manage

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
They are in a much better place when compared to 2013. But i think they are having trouble with project management if the stories around ever wild and perfect dark, as well as halo’s rocky ass development/state are anything to go by

Dolodolo

Yes. I said that. Because you seem upset at the fact that the Series X is selling well. And all this talk about one console ‘devouring’ the other one is strangely pre-pubescent lingo. Not to mention the cringeworthy talk about coming back to crow at people when the PS5 outsells the xbox series consoles.

I do not expect the Xbox series consoles to outsell the PS5 this generation. Though I expect a much better showing this gen from xbox, and it looks on course for that.

As a multi-console owner, it thrills me to see both sides doing well. Competition is great, most of the time.

It's kind of funny that you're picking on words, saying something about pre-pubescent. Are the chosen words hurting you that much? Maybe you should relax a little and stop protecting your favorite toy :)
And if you actually cannot challenge my position, which is based on bare facts, with which you yourself agree, then why even answer?

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
They might as well be …

Xbox started buying studios years ago and they barely have anything to show for it right now.

They started their buys from mid 2018 (with Ninja Theory, Obsidian and others) and then InXile in Q4 2018. Bethesda wasn't until 2020.
You haven't learnt that AAA development takes time?

It's kind of funny that you're picking on words, saying something about pre-pubescent. Are the chosen words hurting you that much? Maybe you should relax a little and stop protecting your favorite toy :)
And if you actually cannot challenge my position, which is based on bare facts, with which you yourself agree, then why even answer?

You're stating something you expect to happen in Holiday 2023. That's not a 'fact'. That's a prediction.

Nothing wrong with making predictions. Everything wrong with shrieking about one console 'devouring' the other and informing everyone that you're going to come back in 1.5 years time to crow about projected console sales.

That's just weird.

3liteDragon

Why are XGS PUBLISHING & XGS two different things instead of XGS publishing games with third-parties?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom