• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamingBolt: Why Call of Duty Needs To Die

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

With news breaking earlier this year that Activision’s top brass have decided to break Call of Duty’s annual combo streak stretching back to 2006, shunning a Call of Duty title for 2023 due to – in their words – a lacklustre reception to 2021’s Call of Duty: Vanguard, the question is: should Call of Duty die altogether? Would the video game industry be blighted by its demise?

Well, obviously, Call of Duty’s absence will dismay millions of players. It’s one of the most successful entertainment franchises of all time, with 1000s of people within Activision concurrently working on the series. Theoretically extract Call of Duty from the world, and it’ll leave a cataclysmic hollow in its wake.

However, a flick through the middling reviews for Call of Duty titles of recent years yields the same grievance: Call of Duty games, oftentimes, are solid, serviceable shooters with decent campaigns and multiplayer modes let down by a lack of innovation. Even the best-selling game in the US in 2020, Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War was critically panned for lacking innovation despite its commercial success.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Microsoft:
No Way Smh GIF by MOODMAN

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I have ZERO interest in COD series but it doesn't mean it needs to die, because they are people who get a lot enjoyment out these games.
Exactly. I don’t like fifa or Madden. JRPG’s but it Doesn’t mean series’ need to die. It would be boring as fuck if only the games I like were made. I wouldn’t have anything new to discover.

Last edited:

Certinty

Decent campaigns?

Half of these campaigns are great. Sometimes all people want are 6 hour linear games with great gameplay and visuals without padded bullshit.

Love how Activision are still providing campaigns like this.

Ceadeus

Damn I remember years ago I was playing COD united offensive online on PC , back when online pc gaming was special and awesome.

jCcXpa8.jpg

Cod is great, the amount of content it brings every year is insane just this year
Campaign , coop, dmz ,multiplayer,warzone
Now compare it to its closest competition bf 2042

Killer8

Part of me thinks that they should throw a fourth studio into the mix. The 3 year cycle for each game seems to be stretching the studios too thin due to the amount of content going into each game + Warzone.

David B

An Idiot
Cod is great, the amount of content it brings every year is insane just this year
Campaign , coop, dmz ,multiplayer,warzone
Now compare it to its closest competition bf 2042
Yeah but it's the same or similar as before. Guns, guys, women, maps, same old shit.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Why GamingBolt needs to die. Articles like this.

Call of Duty is still a hugely successful series regardless of whether you personally enjoy it or not. Saying it needs to die as if it's somehow failing or stifling innovation within the industry is one of the dumbest takes I've heard.

Granted that's me assuming what the article is about based on the headline, because I'm sure as shit not giving these cunts a click.

I have ZERO interest in COD series but it doesn't mean it needs to die, because they are people who get a lot enjoyment out these games.
I got Bayonetta 3 the same day Modern Warfare 2 came out, was fun to watch eachother's different games. I watched my friends on the online and they saw parts of me playing Bayonetta 3, mostly the Viola parts XD

David B

An Idiot
Here's a crazy idea... Don't like it? Don't buy it.

It's much easier than crying about Call of Duty on a message board like you did last night.
I'm not buying it. Just telling others shouldn't buy it either. Vanguard 2.3 Xbox persons ratings all together. MW2 remake 2.1. Thousands complaining how it's not good anymore, cheaters, same old maps, constantly die. Xbox reviews more than 5000 1 stars!!!

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I'm not buying it. Just telling others shouldn't buy it either.

I don't like cheese. It makes us gassy and milk from cows is unnatural. I don't buy it for myself. What I wouldn't do, despite not wanting others to be gassy, is try to tell them they're wrong for being okay with being gassy if they really like eating cheese.

. . .or in other words, mind your own bidness.

David B

An Idiot
I don't like cheese. It makes us gassy and milk from cows is unnatural. I don't buy it for myself. What I wouldn't do, despite not wanting others to be gassy, is try to tell them they're wrong for being okay with being gassy if they really like eating cheese.

. . .or in other words, mind your own bidness.
Why doesn't the lad tell the OP himself?

They’re nothing even remotely close to the caliber of COD. Gunplay, level design, gun models/animation, sounds, impact. Innovation? Just dropped into a DMZ game with two others, all of a sudden we link up with another 3 man party and we’re cruising through the map at 120hz popping off other parties all the while fighting for the last extraction. Nothing is close to the feeling or plays as well. I get the jaded, grizzled old players and the jealous wannabes, but let’s be honest, if you think COD sucks, you have no idea what attracts people to the genre I the first place or why it’s so incredibly successful.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I'm not buying it. Just telling others shouldn't buy it either. Vanguard 2.3 Xbox persons ratings all together. MW2 remake 2.1. Thousands complaining how it's not good anymore, cheaters, same old maps, constantly die. Xbox reviews more than 5000 1 stars!!!
Ok? People still enjoy it regardless of how much you cry.

I swear you had to be over 13 years old to have a GAF account.

Crayon

Let's just set aside for a minute that it's incredibly successful and millions of people love it...

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I'm 35 and still gaming, thanks
Oh Jesus lmao

Maybe you'll understand the concept of opinions when you hit your forties

I even agree with the criticisms being brought up against COD, but I'm not so much of a mental midget that I'm going to go around crying and telling people to not buy a series they enjoy.

Last edited:
Yeah, unless they go back to the roots. 12+ hour single player with multiple campaigns Ala cod2. Multiplayer without being for "modern audiences", ie no loot boxes, mtx, female soldiers in ww2 fights, pink and weapons with weird cosmetics, more serious cod 1-5 tone.

Although them dying would give a ga for new shooters to fill. Or a rebirth of old fps like Killzone and resistance that died due to cods success.

wipeout364

It is kind of bad that it has such market dominance in the FPS segment, that said no one is willing to deliver the quality and scope of a COD game. COD in not some impenetrable monolith either. For example Vanguard was actually a relatively poor game and sales ranked as well as MTX were really low. EA had their opportunity to really make a dent in COD and what did they do; delivered Battlefield 2042.

Top Bottom