• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gas Giant Games; founded by former Blizzard devs

Varteras

Gold Member

Dj Khaled GIF

In what seems like an endless occurrence, yet another new independent studio from former Blizzard developers.

• Founded by Jay Wilson, director of Diablo 3 and lead designer on World of Warcraft: Legion, and Julian Love, senior combat designer on Diablo Immortal and Diablo 4
  • Studio currently includes other veterans from Kingdom Hearts, Company of Heroes, Overwatch, Dragon Age 2, Space Marines, Cyberpunk 2077, Dying Light, and Gears of War
  • Upcoming game is an ARPG with survival elements
  • Will release for consoles and PC with mobile a possibility
  • A private demonstration will happen at GDC

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Jay "Diablo III got Jay Wilsoned" Wilson founding a company making an ARPG? I sure hope he's learned a thing or two from the Diablo III disaster.

Hopefully it's more akin to Vince and co's split from COD to Respawn and less 343's takeover of Halo.

Last edited:
I'm getting pretty bored of all these games with "survival" elementals.

But they have a decent cast of ex devs which might make it interesting.

If you played D3 at the beginning like I did you know that Jay Wilson was the greatest joke of the industry in 2012/13 because of how bad him and his team butchered the diablo series with the D3 year 1.

And yes I know diablo sold a ton, but most of it was in the pre orders and first months when the hype was still alive.

I really hope he and the other guys learned something from that.

Dj Khaled GIF

In what seems like an endless occurrence, yet another new independent studio from former Blizzard developers.

• Founded by Jay Wilson, director of Diablo 3 and lead designer on World of Warcraft: Legion, and Julian Love, senior combat designer on Diablo Immortal and Diablo 4
  • Studio currently includes other veterans from Kingdom Hearts, Company of Heroes, Overwatch, Dragon Age 2, Space Marines, Cyberpunk 2077, Dying Light, and Gears of War
  • Upcoming game is an ARPG with survival elements
  • Will release for consoles and PC with mobile a possibility
  • A private demonstration will happen at GDC
Happy to see Jay Wilson back in the industry. I don't think the treatment he got for the "fuck that loser" comment was fair.

Chiggs

If you played D3 at the beginning like I did you know that Jay Wilson was the greatest joke of the industry in 2012/13 because of how bad him and his team butchered the diablo series with the D3 year 1.

Yeah, that ordeal was a whole mess. They took a bad situation (one of the first big AAA games to require an online connection) and somehow made things worse in the first few months of that game's release.

As recollected by Jay himself:
"The auction house came out of the desire to legitimize third party trading so that players would stay in the game to do their trading rather than go to third party sites, and as a result reduce fraud, scams, spamming, and the profit in hacking the game, making dupes, etc. The problem is, of course, it over-legitimized trading. It made it too easy. I think we all know this by now and the consequences. We worried about these consequences ahead of time, but we thought the benefits would outweigh the downsides, and WoW’s AH seemed like a good proof of concept. Obviously we were mistaken."

The Auction House. :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Jay Wilson? Then we doubled it? No fucking thanks. That guy single-handledly fucked Diablo IP and Blizzard had to dig it out of the grave. I'll pass.

Last edited:
Top Bottom