• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gave away my physical RETURNAL copy. Bought a digital copy recently that won't even launch.

DerFuggler

I guess I need help here. I've done this very thing with Switch games before but when I gave my copy of Returnal away I decided to buy it again later digitally but it doesn't launch. It keeps telling me to insert the disc...
Do I need to uninstall the game completely? Will I lose all progress? Finding help for this online has been a pain.

/*So I've uninstalled the game and reinstalled it. It keeps downloading and launching the soundtrack for the game. The soundtrack downloads with the prompt "Launch Game". It's just the soundtrack. Every time. */

It turns out you have to go to Game Library > Your Collection > select Returnal > select Returnal (not Returnal Original Soundtrack) to download/reinstall the game itself.

Last edited:

Bojji

Physical version that installed from disc will always require disk to play. You need to download digital version.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Save data is separate from game data. As others have said it unfortunately sounds like you need to uninstall the game data from the disc version.

Oddly enough, I bought the digital version at launch and have been considering buying the disc version just because I enjoyed it so much.

Sorry to hear that.
Now that I have established how nice I am, could somebody, please, post the DJ Khaled "you played yourself" gif? 🤨

Beechos

Welcome to the playstation file system. From my experience these are versions of 1 game.

Ps4 physical version
Ps4 digital version
Ps5 phycial version
Ps5 digital version

The right version will only work on your type of license. So if you have returnal disc version installed and buy it digitally you need to download and reinstall the entire game as the digital version or it wont work.

Last edited:

Bojji

Welcome to the playstation file system. From my experience these are versions of 1 game.

Ps4 physical version
Ps4 digital version
Ps5 phycial version
Ps5 digital version

The right version will only work on your type of license. So if you have returnal disc version installed and buy it digitally you need to download and reinstall the entire game as the digital version or it wont work.

Different builds of the same game, nothing new really. Plus they are also different in different regions.

Top Bottom