• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GBA Baseball?

Is there anything worth playing that isn't too difficult to find? I read a few reviews for Baseball Advance and All Star '04 but I haven't been able to track down either one. I'm just looking for a decent playing baseball game for 15 minute increments while work is slow. Help me GAF sports fans!

jarrod

Banned
I dunno about US stuff besides Baseball Advance (developed by Smilebit, it's fucking fantastic) but if you're into importing there's always Konami's Power Pro series, Namco's Famista Advance or Bandai's One Piece going Baseball. I wouldn't mind seeing Namco do a GBA Mario Baseball since they already have a perfectly good engine in place.

Bluecondor

Baseball Advance is a great game!

You have four MLB stadiums - very nicely modeled, and clear differences amongst them in-game.

The gameplay is excellent, by any measure. The fielding is fun and fast-paced, it is easy to control your baserunners, and the pitching and hitting interfaces are logical and work well.

And - the game itself is fast-paced, so you can play a full game in 20 minutes or so....

Sports gaming fans love this game. Even though it is only 3 or 4 years old, it is considered to be a classic.

Here is an Amazon link to the game, but it is $45, which suggests to me that it is now viewed as a collector's item:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...1_9/102-8003387-5674500?v=glance&s=videogames

D-Back

like the others have said, baseball advance is the only baseball game to look for on gba. Granted the rosters are old (I think 2001), but the gameplay is great. It was my favorite baseball game for the past 5 or 6 years until MLB for psp hit a few months ago.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
It is good, and I like it....but it's faults in gameplay and easiness started to wear on me after a while. For what it is, it's as good as it gets.

Just buy it used at a local gamestop or something, it's not much when you find it there.

So no other viable options besides Baseball Advance or imports? I do want a game with decent pitching/batting interface, but I'm not sure I'd be willing to drop $45 on just a time waster. I see that there were a few High Heat games released, how do they compare?

Let's just say I need an 'OK' game a step or two down from BA to pass the time.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Killkernal said:
So no other viable options besides Baseball Advance or imports? I do want a game with decent pitching/batting interface, but I'm not sure I'd be willing to drop $45 on just a time waster. I see that there were a few High Heat games released, how do they compare?

Let's just say I need an 'OK' game a step or two down from BA to pass the time.

I haven't done the import route on GBA with baseball. There is no way I would pay $45 for this, but I don't understand why you would have to if there are any game stores in your area. Everything else is awful...AllStar/HighHeat/Crushed on GBA are atrocious and you would be much better served with Baseball Advance. If you don't have super high expectations and can find it at a reasonable price, that is really your best bet.

The others are that bad, eh? That really doesn't surprise me. I'll do one more pass by EB and Gamestop and see if I can track down a used copy. I appreciate the tip.

As far as imports go, I totally forgot about the Powerful Pro series. I'd been looking for a copy for my DC a couple of years ago. Thanks for the reminder, jarrod. :)

Agent X

If you like World Series Baseball '98 for the Saturn, then you should also enjoy Baseball Advance for the Game Boy Advance, as they are quite similar. Even if you've never played the Saturn game, I'd still recommend that you give Baseball Advance a try!

Top Bottom