• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GBA games coming to Nintendo Switch

Man it would be so nice to have your retro collection assigned to your nintendo account. I would have more confidence buying a legit collection if I knew It would stay with me on the next system.

Reactions: Isa

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Metroid Fusion

6685a6e6ed40c5989c71365103276a29.gif

Naked Lunch

Ah so the real versions of Advance Wars 1 and 2 might show up on Switch after all.
Treasure's Astro Boy and Gunstar sequel are musts as well.

Man it would be so nice to have your retro collection assigned to your nintendo account. I would have more confidence buying a legit collection if I knew It would stay with me on the next system.
It would be but we all know that's not how Nintendo operates. Its a shame but theyve been getting away with it for years.

Mr Hyde

If the price doesn't go up I might bite. Wish Nintendo would include an option for buying the games separately. Fucking hate these subscription services with a passion.

Rat Rage

With all the excellent (and often pretty inexpensive) alternatives of playing GBA (and other retro games) out there provided by the various retro hardware communities, this is hardly something to get excited for, unless you've never heard the term "flashcart" or "emulation" in your life before.

jaysius

Banned
How much will they increase the price of the expansion pass for this lol.

Already their trickle of N64 games has slowed down, and I don't know if they've even added any Sega games apart from the first upload.

Keep the good times rolling Nintendo.

Fahdis

Question for Nintendo Fan. Why are you buying full well knowing they haven't talked about Backwards Compatibility going forward? Are you guys going to keep rebuying your games every gen?

Fake

Question for Nintendo Fan. Why are you buying full well knowing they haven't talked about Backwards Compatibility going forward? Are you guys going to keep rebuying your games every gen?

This question are for any fan around console space, not just Nintendo fan.

If the game is good, why not? Watching people rebuying RE4, Skyrim, GTA, etc... I would buy all PS2 catalogue if PS4 have a offline BC with no problem.
The problem is not rebuying, but rebuying a rubish remaster/remake/BC.

And GBA have decent games, so let people decide.

Nautilus

Banned
I mean, weird that this appears before Gameboy.

But I'm guessing that Nintendo will hold on until after Gameboy games release. And considering that each system gets at least 1 year in the spotlight(this year's spotlight being 64 and mega drive) and that Gameboy MUST come before Advance, I'm guessing the earliest we will see this will be september 2023.

But I mean, GBA was obviously going into the service. All systems will eventually enter the service. They will just spread them out through the Switch and the Switch 2 lifespan.

Kokoloko85

Awesome. Having Golden Sun 1&2 is super awesome
And Castlevania.

Probably wont have Tony Hawks on there…

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Im guessing its like Playstation.
Sony didnt give us BC with PS4/PS3 and I bought alot of games on the PS3. But when they talked PC architecture with PS4, I guessed they will be BC going forward and PS5 BC has been great.

Im guessing because Nintendo are using similar tech going forward that they will also be going BC from here out

Last edited:

swarley64

I mean, weird that this appears before Gameboy.

But I'm guessing that Nintendo will hold on until after Gameboy games release. And considering that each system gets at least 1 year in the spotlight(this year's spotlight being 64 and mega drive) and that Gameboy MUST come before Advance, I'm guessing the earliest we will see this will be september 2023.

But I mean, GBA was obviously going into the service. All systems will eventually enter the service. They will just spread them out through the Switch and the Switch 2 lifespan.
I’m guessing that all the GB/GBC/GBA emulators roll out this year, but GBA will be behind the expansion plan. GB by itself wouldn’t make much of an impact but it’s still dumb that they haven’t just done it already

Nautilus

Banned
I’m guessing that all the GB/GBC/GBA emulators roll out this year, but GBA will be behind the expansion plan. GB by itself wouldn’t make much of an impact but it’s still dumb that they haven’t just done it already
I dont think they will release this year. I think they will roll with 64 games until september next year.

But the rest, yeah you might be right.

Scotty W

Gold Member
I am not bothered by it. I am paying for a service filled with games I had always wanted to play, but would never have wasted money on otherwise.

Woopah

Nintendo has spoken publicly about people's Nintendo accounts carrying forward to the next system. There's a good chance the NSO service as a whole will be on Switch 2.

Skifi28

I'm very excited to play a tiny selection of games tied to a subscription service that we've been already able to enjoy for over a decade and in much better ways.

Fahdis

This question are for any fan around console space, not just Nintendo fan.

If the game is good, why not? Watching people rebuying RE4, Skyrim, GTA, etc... I would buy all PS2 catalogue if PS4 have a offline BC with no problem.
The problem is not rebuying, but rebuying a rubish remaster/remake/BC.

And GBA have decent games, so let people decide.
Im guessing its like Playstation.
Sony didnt give us BC with PS4/PS3 and I bought alot of games on the PS3. But when they talked PC architecture with PS4, I guessed they will be BC going forward and PS5 BC has been great.

Im guessing because Nintendo are using similar tech going forward that they will also be going BC from here out
I am not bothered by it. I am paying for a service filled with games I had always wanted to play, but would never have wasted money on otherwise.
Nintendo has spoken publicly about people's Nintendo accounts carrying forward to the next system. There's a good chance the NSO service as a whole will be on Switch 2.

I abandoned PlayStation for PC even though PS4 pushed towards PS5 backwards compatibility. PS4 was my last console and I was seriously invested in the ecosystem. My Steam games are for every generation and yes I rebought alot of the games but for a fraction of the price and free online. I don't think I'm ever going back after seeing what PC can do including emulation. Hoping Nintendo gets on PC as well someday. The holy trifecta will be complete. Have fun guys! And I was genuinely curious. This isn't about what platform is better but just personal preference. I hope what you're saying for Nintendo is true so you can get enjoyment out of it without needing to rebuy.

Last edited:

Omali

How much will they increase the price of the expansion pass for this lol.

Already their trickle of N64 games has slowed down, and I don't know if they've even added any Sega games apart from the first upload.

Keep the good times rolling Nintendo.

Genesis has had 8 games released in two batches since the first group. What's really scuffed is the NES/SNES went from July 2021 to February without a single release on either system. Nintendo can't handle the four systems on the NSO already, let alone adding more. It's really embarrassing that a $13 billion income company can't move roms of games from 30 years ago to its online console at more than a snail's pace.

jaysius

Banned
Genesis has had 8 games released in two batches since the first group. What's really scuffed is the NES/SNES went from July 2021 to February without a single release on either system. Nintendo can't handle the four systems on the NSO already, let alone adding more. It's really embarrassing that a $13 billion income company can't move roms of games from 30 years ago to its online console at more than a snail's pace.
It's not embarrassing to them, they're constantly testing how much they can fuck the consumer with a nothing service. Guess what their research is telling them? The answer has no ceiling.

The bad thing is, the rest of the industry is learning the same thing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom