• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears 6 is Being Prepped for Motion Capture

Hivebusters was a 2 hours dlc, tactics was fine by splash damage, the matrix demo is a demo obviously. Nothing substantial for a team which used to pump out a full gaje every three years. Game development doesn't start with mocap but doesn't end too.

You asked "What have they been doing for the last 3 years?" (Which reminds me; Gears 5 shipped less than 3 years ago..so there's that as well).
No need to downplay anything. They've been busy and that's all there is to it.

Shipping a game every 3 years (because Microsoft only had 5 studios last gen) is why some people claim they are sick of the series. Those days are over now.

Fredrik

The Office No GIF

If JD dead you know what that means right marcus fenix bloodline is over

Sucks if true
Yeah it would suck for sure but if you payed attention you should know that’s what they want, there is a reason why most of us saved Dell in our first playthrough, they played us all and kinda made JD a douche so we should save Dell instead since it seemed like the right thing to do. Then we had to see Marcus heart ripped to pieces. I replayed it, couldn’t deal with that.

Kait is the new Marcus Fenix now though so maybe they just focus on her and never touch on what happened to Marcus and JD in the next game.
I never finished the Hive Busters DLC, don’t know how it ends. Could they do something more with those characters?

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Gears 5/Hivebusters is crossgen and looks better than many "next gen" exclusives.

True, true.

But I think that's a successful art + tech marriage. Hivebusters is so colorful and vibrant compared to Gears 5.

Goalus

Kait is hot, that's all I gotta say.
She actually is, if you take her Gears 4 model as reference. They toned it down in Gears 5 though.

The women of the Gears series (Anya, Sam, Sofia, Kait or even Myrrah) were never portrayed to be "hot", they have been acting quite tough since the beginning actually, but they always looked like women. I really hope they don't fuck it all up by forcing woke sh*t into the story left and right. I love Gears 5's story, and Fahz is an interesting and likeable non-woke new character, so it is on them to not fuck it up.

Last edited:

Goalus

I never finished the Hive Busters DLC, don’t know how it ends. Could they do something more with those characters?
They absolutely could and should because these characters develop some chemistry during their little adventure. Lahni seems to be a relative of Tai from Gears 2. In the end,
they confront the Wakatu and hurt it just enough that they are able to extract some of its poison. Then they let themselves catch by Snatchers that carry them into the hive where they are going to apply the poison to kill everything. That Snatcher part is not playable, that is basically the ending sequence.
We also learn that that the assault on the hive was Hoffman's private endeavor since he doesn't seem to be on the best of terms with first minister Jinn.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Yes, the story actually ends setting up the "Escape" game mode that Gears 5 has, all the key characters come out alive.

But I think they'll be treated as a one and done deal like the Zeta squad in Gears 3's Raam's Shadow DLC.

In a bad way. I mean, Gears is a series about dude/dudettes shooting monsters made out of goo and shit. That felt incredibly pretentious and deeper than this series has any right to be. It was cringe. For me, anyway.

It was a shit trailer, let’s be honest.

They really screwed up the marketing. Showing that escape mode at E3 instead of the SP campaign was a shocking miscalculation on their part.
To each their own, I thought it was more enjoyable as an announcement than just a logo like Metroid Prime 4. Now if that was the only promotional material they had I would understand.

amigastar

I'm sure it will look ahead of it's time but i never really played a Gears of War and i don't think i will this time also.

Ravi_elite

Banned
The locust in gow1-3 > gears 4 -5 swarm

The movement and shooting of gears1 with the maps of gears2 would be absolutely sexy..

Good good.

Looking forward to what these guys can do with Series X. This game for sure is going to be a stunner. You can't go wrong with Coalition or PlayGround Games in the Xbox stable.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Personally, im hoping Gears 6 ends the current story lines and whatnot.

Then, I would love to see a pure single player survival horror Gears game with Gabe Diaz as the lead and only playable character in a prequel to the original Gears of War. After this, I would like to see a new Gears of War franchise using the characters from Hivebusters that go back to the pure linear straight forward third person cover based shooter that Gears should be. But with a few changes. First, a weapon wheel ala Far Cry. Only two weapons is stupid. Add in more weapons and variations. Set grenades to the RB button. Make all three characters have their own small upgrade tree with different abilities so each character can feel somewhat different. Make one stronger but slower, one faster but weaker and one balanced. Something like that. Also, add in melee combat and weapons that don't fucking break at all. Let me carry a handgun weapon, two strong weapons and a melee based weapon. Let me see them all on the character's back. I hate seeing weapons pulled out of thin air. UGH.

Also, if no interest in a Gears survival horror game (which I think is a perfect fit for Gears) then I would like to see The Coalition do a new IP instead in between Gears Hivebusters.

adamsapple

Cool. I always enjoyed the Gears games as guilty pleasure pop-corn action flick fun.

What's your favorite in the series, and how well do Gears 3 through 5 run on the XSX?

Personal favorite: Gears 3

And they all run amazingly. Not all of them got resolution boost to 4K unfortunately, but each game can be played in 60 FPS at the minimum.

Gears 1 (OG) only runs at 720p/60 FPS. Gears Ultimate runs at 1080p/60.
Gears 2 is 4K/60. Gears 3 is 1440p/60 or 4K/30 with FPS boost off.
Gears Judgment is 720p/60.
Gears 4 is 1080p/60 or 4K/30
Gears 5 is 4K/60 or optionally 1080p/120FPS for MP.

And if you like Xcom style games, Gears Tactics is also there, 4K/60, and is a story prequel for Gears 4 and 5.

Last edited:
Personal favorite: Gears 3

And they all run amazingly. Not all of them got resolution boost to 4K unfortunately, but each game can be played in 60 FPS at the minimum.

Gears 1 (OG) only runs at 720p/60 FPS. Gears Ultimate runs at 1080p/60.
Gears 2 is 4K/60. Gears 3 is 1440p/60 or 4K/30 with FPS boost off.
Gears Judgment is 720p/60.
Gears 4 is 1080p/60 or 4K/30
Gears 5 is 4K/60 or optionally 1080p/120FPS for MP.

Thanks, Gears 3 always looked interesting to me with the environmental design they went with (pretty colorful).

The performance you have listed is all over the map. that is really bizarre how inconsistent some of them area, but by and large looks acceptable.

I guess I maybe should wait and see if the Gears remaster rumor is true before diving in

Last edited:

Fredrik

I’ve only played gears 1 and 2

Is it worth playing the rest? Just got GamePass and an XSX
Congrats! Play Gears 5 with an open mind, the open map is like a too big hub of starting points for different levels but the levels themselves are classic Gears with some new enemies and strategic gameplay. Some levels are absolutely awesome. It’s my favorite after Gears 1.
And don’t miss the Hive Busters DLC, free through GP 👍

Gears 4 is the worst, I wouldn’t tell you to skip it if you like the IP but it’s good to know that the start is boring, new enemies which I’m not sure anyone likes, second half is good though.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Congrats! Play Gears 5 with an open mind, the open map is like a too big hub of starting points for different levels but the levels themselves are classic Gears with some new enemies and strategic gameplay. Some levels are absolutely awesome. It’s my favorite after Gears 1.
And don’t miss the Hive Busters DLC, free through GP 👍

Gears 4 is the worst, I wouldn’t tell you to skip it if you like the IP but it’s good to know that the start is boring, new enemies which I’m not sure anyone likes, second half is good though.
Imo gears 4 > 5 but thats just me

Fredrik

Imo gears 4 > 5 but thats just me
Second half of 4 was good but for me it was all over the place at first with the droids and tower defense gameplay. Didn’t like the big mech either. Lol I sound so cranky, sorry, it’s not a bad game, it’s just that the serie holds some seriously great games. Gears 1 is still my fav.

Mister Wolf

Hopefully there are two story paths based on the decision you made at the end of the last game. Would make for great replay value.

Last edited:
The Cavern cinematic demo they created on UE5 was incredibly impressive, one of my favourites.

I’m curious to see what they’ll be able to cook up in terms of visuals.

mxbison

They really need to switch something up.

Open world segments didnt really change anything. It's still the same old static, predictable cover shooting.

Top Bottom