• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War could be getting the ‘Master Chief Collection treatment’, it’s claimed (VGC)

kingfey

Banned

A Gears of War remastered collection may be in development at Microsoft.

That’s according to journalist Nick Baker of Xbox Era, who this week claimed that a “Master Chief Collection” style game was in the works for the Gears of War franchise.

“A while back I said there is another Microsoft franchise that’s getting the Master Chief Collection-type treatment, I am of the belief that that is coming this year,” Nick said on the podcast.

He then said “everyone has guessed it,” before adding, “if you go from November 2021 to November 2022 and you look at Microsoft’s big game output, it could wind up being Halo, Gears, Forza,” confirming that the rumoured collection would be from the Gears of War franchise.

One source recently told VGC that The Coalition is in the early stages of developing the next Gears of War title. Whether this is Gears 6 or a spinoff title isn’t clear, however Gears 6 was listed as part of the Nvidia GeForce Now database leak which has so far proven to be accurate in many cases.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection is a collection of Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, Halo 2: Anniversary, Halo 3 and Halo 4 which was released for Xbox One in 2014.

Featuring improved graphics and every multiplayer map from all 4 games, the collection would later receive two further campaigns, Halo 3 ODST and Halo Reach.

While the game was praised for the visual and audio improvements to the classic games and the sheer volume of content, The Master Chief Collection faced massive matchmaking issues which saw it need years of post-release support.

Four Gears of War third-person shooter titles released on the Xbox 360, Gears of War 1-3 as well as Gears of War: Judgement, a spin-off prequel featuring some of the main franchise’s side characters.

Gears of War: Ultimate Edition, which is a remastered version of the first game, launched for Xbox One in August 2015. Gears of War studio The Coalition’s last game, Gears 5, was released on Xbox One and PC in 2019.

The Coalition is also said to be working on a new IP according to job listings posted in July of last year.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I'm sorry, but I don't believe anything that fraud from XboxEra says. Also not sure I care about Gears enough to be interested in a collection unless they are remaking them in UE5.

Sybrix

Would be a nice collection to end the series.

Halo MCC is now one of the best collection of remasters ever, bear in mind however it took them 5+ years to get the game right, when MCC came out it was a complete shit show.

Gears games haven't been good since GOW3 and tbh, I'd rather they killed of the series than make sub par games.

Having a GOW collection on par with the MCC would be great.

Valt7786

Wouldnt be upset by this, love playing through the series with a friend of mine, its become a bit of a tradition for us to play them on release together so to have them all again but looking and playing better would be great. Just hope they keep the gore intact like the OG trilogy instead of the red jelly shit we get in 4 and 5.

Goalus

I really don’t see why this is needed. Shouldn’t be distracting Coalition with this.
While I agree on it being a distraction, Gears Judgment needs a remaster, as it was never X-enhanced. It is one of the best-looking games of the PS3/360 era and an absolute blast to play.

If it is excluded from this collection, I will riot because as you said, Gears 1-3 do not really need a remaster (though I guess Gears 2 could look much more impressive with improved lighting than it currently does).

Would be a nice collection to end the series.

Gears games haven't been good since GOW3 and tbh, I'd rather they killed of the series than make sub par games.
That's just your opinion, and I don't agree at all.
Now is actually a terrible time to end the series because the current story arc isn't finished at all. There isn't even a complete map of planet Sera to this day.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Cool, still love Gears 1, but I hope they give it a proper UE5 remake treatment, The Coalition should use it to test their UE5 skills.

yamaci17

gears 2/3 are the best game of the series

bring them to PC asap. more people need to experience them . i endured the pain of xenia and its cache stutters to experience them. even with an awful technical experience, game managed to outshine all the problems i've come across. they're THAT good

Riky

$MSFT
This would be great as a sort of proof of content test for UE5, that would be interesting. Judgement was a good game and that desperately needs an upgrade.

anthony2690

Banned
What a waste of resources and time and I say this with gears of war as one of my fave/most played franchises ever.

The games are already 4k and 60fps on series X with backwards compat enhancements.

Just make gears 6 instead.

I didn't buy a series X to play a remake off a game I've already played to death and that are already readily available to play without any hassle.

if it does happen, I'll probably still end up playing it, imagine if every single games seriously acheivement made it in too, :'(

Edit: apparently gears 2 and 3 are not on PC, guess a MCC like collection isn't too bad an idea after all, if it helps introduce a different audience to the games.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
That would be great. We need gears 2,3 and judgement on PC. Also they should probable work on the gears 1 remaster ad it is an unoptimized mess.

Roberts

I hope they have a good reason to do this. The games still look great with res and fps boost so I simple remaster would be a waste of time.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
this is a good idea, they are great games. be really good to get remasters of 2 and 3. hope they include judgement in there to even though it wasn't that great if am honest

Jaybe

I really enjoyed horde and some PvP in Gears 4 and 5 and have a good memory of likening 1 and 2’s campaign and horde with friends back then. I don’t think additional remasters will add much though. 1 already got the UE treatment already and in my opinion plays very clunky vs 5. Haven’t they already 4k’d and FPS boosted 2 and 3 with their BC wizardry? If not they should do that. I’m rather certain Gears 5 sold poorly especially on PC from Steam charts. The only thing that makes sense for MSFT to do with where they seem to be going is a F2P multiplayer title that brings 5’s gameplay, perhaps with improvements and all the popular multiplayer maps and modes from past games. I’d suspect they do that first. It’s just what MSFT seems to be chasing now, that sweet Fortnite & Apex money. Then maybe, years later, they tackle a remaster of 2 and 3.

Last edited:
This will be good as The Coalition have been consistently competent.

It’s amusing that it’s Halo, Gears and Forza again. Back to what made the 360 so tedious in the end.

Last edited:
I own Gears 1 on pc. Its on windows store only.
A windows update broke the game. Fps gets below 30 when looking at a direction, when the entire thing is supposed to run at 60+ easy.
And they never whent back to fix it.

So it makes sense they would ignore that and put out a Gears collection.

Moses85

Sorry Agencylife GIF by MX Player

DukeNukem00

Banned
I hope they have a good reason to do this. The games still look great with res and fps boost so I simple remaster would be a waste of time.

There are a number of reasons. Gears 1 is not on Steam, just windows store. Gears 2 and 3 have not been released on PC and are shackled to microsofts console. A third reason would be to actually unlock its performance. When console players say "this is 60 frames, so its awesome", you can only smile thinking how silly they would feel in the future after they witness actual high framerate and not the shit that 60 is in fact. We have 360 hz monitors now. A game running at 60 feels broken and near unplayable after you play on what is actually high refresh rate, not the slow as molasses 60. Plus you can play with mouse and keyboard and actually be able to aim and react properly. You can play at 8k or 16k resolutions.

Plenty of reasons for a collection if done right

Umbasaborne

Banned
There are a number of reasons. Gears 1 is not on Steam, just windows store. Gears 2 and 3 have not been released on PC and are shackled to microsofts console. A third reason would be to actually unlock its performance. When console players say "this is 60 frames, so its awesome", you can only smile thinking how silly they would feel in the future after they witness actual high framerate and not the shit that 60 is in fact. We have 360 hz monitors now. A game running at 60 feels broken and near unplayable after you play on what is actually high refresh rate, not the slow as molasses 60. Plus you can play with mouse and keyboard and actually be able to aim and react properly. You can play at 8k or 16k resolutions.

Plenty of reasons for a collection if done right
Do you play on pc? I couldnt tell.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The only reason I can see for this is to finally bring the second and third Gears to PC.

Otherwise, you can already play then in 4K/60 on the SX anyway. No remastering really needed.

Beechos

What a waste of resources. Gears 1 was already remastered and if im not mistaken the rest got auto fps/res boost. Unless its a remake why even bother.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The only reason I can see for this is to finally bring the second and third Gears to PC.

Otherwise, you can already play then in 4K/60 on the SX anyway. No remastering really needed.
In fact, I don't want these remastered. They remade first one and the ultimate looks worse than original and lost something special.
Just 4k60/120 pc versions and be done with it. Touch nothing else.
The 2nd and 3rd game are like religion to me :p Love it. Last of their kind

Last edited:
No one want to play old games.... EXCEPT me, and million of people :D, so please MS, bring it on.

What a waste of resources. Gears 1 was already remastered and if im not mistaken the rest got auto fps/res boost. Unless its a remake why even bother.
GOW 1 remake wasnt very good to be honest. Whole beautiful art direction from X360 original was changed into something flat and plastic. I would rather replay X360 version at higher resolution, than this "ultimate" abomination.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
I'd much rather have a Fable Collection, Fable 2 looks pretty rough these days. Would be good timing wise too, to ramp up excitement for the new Fable.

I'd probably play a bit of Gears collection, but I'm kinda had my share with the series.

Top Bottom