• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeForce Now Will No Longer Support God of War Starting Next Month

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Beginning July 1st, both the Steam and Epic Games Store versions of God of War will be unplayable on Nvidia's cloud gaming service. In an email sent to IGN, an Nvidia spokesperson confirmed that God of War was being pulled from the service because "the publisher, who previously opted into streaming on GeForce Now," decided to opt out."

Fortunately, Nvidia confirmed that thanks to GeForce Now's opt-in process, which allows some games to continue to be available to subscribers on a legacy basis, players that started playing God of War on GeForce Now before July 1st, will still have access. The only requirement is that GeForce Now subscribers need to load and access the game's main menu via GeForce Now at least once before the title is pulled from the service.

Last edited:
Frustrated World Cup GIF

Kacho

Gold Member
Weird. I assume this is because they have their own streaming service.

Are Microsoft games compatible with GeForce Now even though they have xCloud?

Fredrik

that doesn't answer my question. all GeForce now does is give you remote access to a normal gaming PC. there shouldn't be any permission needed from anyone
I agree that it doesn’t make any sense, edpecially since you’ve already bought the games you play on GFN.
But it’s all about the money. You can pay Nvidia to play God of War on your phone or too weak PC or streaming box, or you can pay Sony to do the same thing. Sony want your money.

I agree that it doesn’t make any sense, edpecially since you’ve already bought the games you play on GFN.
But it’s all about the money. You can pay Nvidia to play God of War on your phone or too weak PC or streaming box, or you can pay Sony to do the same thing. Sony want your money.

You bought a license that gives you conditional access to the game. Cloud services generally aren't permitted.

MiguelItUp

Wasn't there a rumor that Sony wanted to create their on PC platform to house their games? I always assumed it was BS, and honestly hoped so, lmao.

But I figured this is probably because Sony is focusing more on services and everything, so maybe they want people to focus on their own PS Now service.

Topher

Gold Member
Wasn't there a rumor that Sony wanted to create their on PC platform to house their games? I always assumed it was BS, and honestly hoped so, lmao.

But I figured this is probably because Sony is focusing more on services and everything, so maybe they want people to focus on their own PS Now service.

There was a Sony job listing for a project manager for client side services. That is pretty broad though. Some took it to mean PC store, but I think that is a stretch.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I wonder if they will risk creating their own online PC shop. Imagine the back lash they would recieve if they start removing games off the Steam and Epic store fronts.
that'd be a pretty dumb and/or expensive move. most pc owners hate the idea of multiple stores/clients. it doesn't bother me but it wouldn't go down well for the majority. if it's not on Steam then it's not good enough (apparently). I use Epic way more than Steam these days but you still get people shitting on Epic. I suppose Sony has a bit more goodwill but Epic is throwing a shit fuck load of money to building their store. Sony must be prepared to do the same if they want to ditch Steam. Same goes for MS. They have their own store but that's not enough for some. No Steam = No buy. That's how it goes for PC.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

There was a Sony job listing for a project manager for client side services. That is pretty broad though. Some took it to mean PC store, but I think that is a stretch.
That's what it was! Yeah, honestly, it could really just be to help them buff and improve stuff that they already have in motion.

Neofire

that doesn't answer my question. all GeForce now does is give you remote access to a normal gaming PC. there shouldn't be any permission needed from anyone
They dont need to give permission to a company that is providing a service that allows Sony's IP to be streamed? 👀 Says who? Lol

Lognor

Banned
Returnal?
Is it on there to stream to pc? Or you questioning it?

Playstation. Com says Stream hundreds of PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, including PlayStation exclusive titles, to your Windows PC and laptop on-demand

Nothing about ps5 games. But you're saying they're on there?

Isn't GeForce now for streaming?

They dont need to give permission to a company that is providing a service that allows Sony's IP to be streamed? 👀 Says who? Lol

I think what people need to ask is if it’s illegal for Nvidia to do this. The answer is probably no which is why they don’t hesitate to pull streaming for those that request it.

Is it on there to stream to pc? Or you questioning it?

Playstation. Com says Stream hundreds of PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, including PlayStation exclusive titles, to your Windows PC and laptop on-demand

Nothing about ps5 games. But you're saying they're on there?

Isn't GeForce now for streaming?

Returnal is part of PlayStation Plus Extra and it’s a PS5 game. I’m not sure if it’s streamable though.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Don’t know how nvida’s stuff works, don’t you have to own the game on steam already?

Guess I can stream my game from PC to my iPad and that’s fine but nivida thing is more of a grey area since money is involved. Not gonna win them fans but hey gonna do what they gonna do.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Don’t know how nvida’s stuff works, don’t you have to own the game on steam already?

Guess I can stream my game from PC to my iPad and that’s fine but nivida thing is more of a grey area since money is involved. Not gonna win them fans but hey gonna do what they gonna do.

It's like Stadia, streaming games.

Swift_Star

Banned

I guess the license contract of the game you own doesn’t have a clause allowing you to use third party streaming platforms to run it… it must allow you only to run the game locally, you know What I mean?

Last edited:

Neofire

I think what people need to ask is if it’s illegal for Nvidia to do this. The answer is probably no which is why they don’t hesitate to pull streaming for those that request it.
It being illegal is debatable but Nvidia pissing off IP owners with allowing their IPs to be streamed against their wishes is, I'm sure, not healthy for them that's why they kindly removed it at Sony's request.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Software license agreements are often really specific and have limitations well beyond the DRM built into the system. Those clauses are difficult to enforce, but if a company is enabling the breaking of those clauses or potentially breaking them themselves that's a lot easier to do a cease and desist over. I doubt it has to go that far with nVidia, they probably are simply asked to do it and then comply, or as they said they seem to be asking publishers to opt in in the first place. It's interesting that Sony is giving them a month though.

Last edited:
It being illegal is debatable but Nvidia pissing off IP owners with allowing their IPs to be streamed against their wishes is, I'm sure, not healthy for them that's why they kindly removed it at Sony's request.

I meant that it’s probably not illegal for Nvidia to comply with the publishers request. Sorry if it sounded wrong. But yes I agree that it’s healthy for them to comply with Sonys request.

Last edited:
Top Bottom