• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gematsu: Silent Hill is being developed by Kojima Productions with Sony funding

"Gematsu has also heard that a new Silent Hill is in development at a prominent Japanese developer. That studio is Kojima Productions, according to a publishing source that wishes to remain anonymous, who also said that the game is funded by Sony Interactive Entertainment."

Javthusiast

Banned
Yeah sure.

Ashley Olsen Reaction GIF by Filmeditor

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Silent Hills not Silent Hill surely?
It's a reimagining of the original...
Nothing like what you saw in T.P, They have a well known actor to play Harry and it will 3rd person with Cinematic Horror camera cuts.
a bit like the original really
Apparently there is an Ultra Wide mode too just like Death Stranding DC but that's on by default
jk/

Last edited:
Well, this is a rumor for a while now, so I think we are getting there. Now it has been so much time that I have decided to make a horror game and will call it, Hills of the Silent. I think I can finish it in 2 weeks, it will be the most real experience you can get for a horror game.

EDMIX

Unless Konami sells its IP, Kojima will NEVER be involved in ANY capacity with any of it.

Konami went scorched earth with that guy.

That being said, I'd love to be proven wrong.

Well....I disagree. As my profile icon shows, i'm a massive fan of Kojima, but I believe Konami may have been in the right regarding letting him go or not contracting for another game etc. If the dispute is over funding, budget, etc maybe they are more ok with Sony publishing, budget, fund etc and they are simply licensing it out to Sony or something and have nothing what Kojima can do as a director, but simply don't want to pay the cost and instead want to be paid...

Maybe with Sony funding, Konami is more then ok with Kojima on board. I don't see that its a personal thing with Kojima as much as its a funding and budget thing.

I mean, Konami didn't even want to fucking fund a proper MGS6 or even a remake or anything like that, we got survive lol What did any of that have to do with Kojima? So maybe its more so Konami not wanting to put money behind such projects and might be more ok with licensing or even just selling the IP

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
What’s more suspicious is the timing. Why announce this now and not yesterday? I’m not saying it’s impossible, I just think it unlikely.

Corndog

Banned
Well....I disagree. As my profile icon shows, i'm a massive fan of Kojima, but I believe Konami may have been in the right regarding letting him go or not contracting for another game etc. If the dispute is over funding, budget, etc maybe they are more ok with Sony publishing, budget, fund etc and they are simply licensing it out to Sony or something and have nothing what Kojima can do as a director, but simply don't want to pay the cost and instead want to be paid...

Maybe with Sony funding, Konami is more then ok with Kojima on board. I don't see that its a personal thing with Kojima as much as its a funding and budget thing.
That seems a bit more probable. Sony pays to use the ip and can hire whoever they want.

coffinbirth

It was VERY personal. This was pretty well covered by the gaming press. Konami went so far as to get Kano IT SHIA to deny Kojima Productions health insurance ffs. Just a few years ago Konami accused Kojima of "unfairly sullying the reputation of our company" simply because he gave an answer about MGS during a panel at TGS...like I said, scorched earth.

Last edited:

Dacon

Banned
It's a reimagining of the original...
Nothing like what you saw in T.P, They have a well known actor to play Harry and it will 3rd person with Cinematic Horror camera cuts.
a bit like the original really
Apparently there is an Ultra Wide mode too just like Death Stranding DC but that's on by default
jk/

If this rumor were true, I think you'd be surprised by how right you'd be.

If Kojima ever remade Silent Hill he 100 percent would use a famous actor as the vehicle for the project.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

"Gematsu has also heard that a new Silent Hill is in development at a prominent Japanese developer. That studio is Kojima Productions, according to a publishing source that wishes to remain anonymous, who also said that the game is funded by Sony Interactive Entertainment."
With the new Konami... if they are making a New games i bet is a Cheap 3D Style shit like the new Contra

Last edited:
It's honestly weird that Sony would fund a Silent Hill game before doing so with the Metal Gear Solid franchise, which is way bigger in popularity and it's also an IP which they are preparing a movie.

Considering how they are trying to have some synergy within their entertainment areas...it's a no brainer for them.

Silent Hill is good too btw, just not something i expected. But it does align with the rumors that Kojima was working with Sony on something while trying to make that deal with MS for that episodic game.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

I mean, Konami didn't even want to fucking fund a proper MGS6 or even a remake or anything like that, we got survive lol What did any of that have to do with Kojima? So maybe its more so Konami not wanting to put money behind such projects and might be more ok with licensing or even just selling the IP

Agreed, Konami have very little to lose and a lot to gain.

Bottom line is whoever they were to approach with a mind to offering them Silent Hill is immediately going to run into the perception that Kojima *was* going to take his shot at the franchise and whatever they did would end up being compared to what could have been.

Essentially the same buzz-saw of fan backlash that tanked MGS:Survive. Not appealing.

So why not lean into it? Especially if Sony is funding the project. Project fails, they get paid (for the license) and they get to look like they made the right business choice regarding Kojima. Project succeeds and they get paid more plus their franchise gets rehabilitated.

Its a win/win.

Top Bottom