• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gematsu: Silent Hill is being developed by Kojima Productions with Sony funding

bitbydeath

Good, now show us a list of everything gematsu has claimed that ended up being wrong.
They did, there were two rumours partially wrong. Both seem to be very accurate so both may be right on this too. There could be multiple teams involved on the project.

Keihart

I would prefer Kojipro doing their own original horror game without ties to any franchise, but i guess that having the franchise name does give them more leverage on the sales angle.

Gematsu reporting on this it's pretty hype.

coffinbirth

Gematsu is not a site to post rumors so if they choose to do that then it means the rumor come from inside the industry and not random “insiders”.

Well if Sony is founding it that means Sony licensed the IP from Konami.

Sony can choose any developer for the job… it is not in the Konami concern.
False.
This hypothetical contract can, and most likely would, have wording keeping Kojima (or any plethora former devs they've been publicly smearing) a thousand miles from their ip.

Again, KONAMI HATES KOJIMA.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
False.
This hypothetical contract can, and most likely would, have wording keeping Kojima (or any plethora former devs they've been publicly smearing) a thousand miles from their ip.

Yes if they put in contract but in a licensing contract you won’t bother with who develop the game… it is Sony choice.

BTW Kojima and Konami doesn’t seems to hate each other anymore… they seems even to be talking about future.

Last edited:

coffinbirth

Yes if they put in contract but in a licensing contract you won’t bother with who develop the game… it is Sony choice.

BTW Kojima and Konami doesn’t seems to hate each other anymore… they seems even to be talking about future.
word-salad-word.gif

FunkMiller

Nobody cares about sillent hill tho

No. You’re absolutely right.

That’s why there are never multiple threads created about the franchise at the slightest whiff of a rumour, why it never trends on social media whenever someone in the industry mentions a possible revival, and why one of the most respected video games developers in history has had no interest in bringing it back.

Last edited:
Nobody cares about sillent hill tho
Let me guess, Silent Hill (at least the numbered good ones) were before your time.

Silent Hill is my favorite video game franchise and I have always cared about it. Unfortunately after the first 4 Konami was more interested in the quick and easy money and outsourced development to some western developers who had no idea what makes Japanese horror great.

So all I want is one more good Silent Hill game to redeem the franchise. Unfortunately besides a good one, I will probably also get a turd from bloober…

Dacon

Banned
"news" doesn't mean what you think it means, "mate."

"news" is confirmed, respectable information coming from an actual named source.

This "some dude told me this" stuff barely qualifies as a rumor and is potentially misinformation. There's a difference. 🤔

Thanks for proving that you are butthurt, mate. Let people have fun with rumors/news.

Play some games and get the stick out of your arse.

I legit used to think you two were the same person and read that as someone arguing with themselves.

SMFH

This rumour has been circulating for far too long.

It's been on going since what, last year?

I think this might be a likely chance of happening because I haven't heard of a rumour of a game being so persistent and constantly being reported again and again to my memory.

I can remember that MGSV re-release rumour, but that died almost immediately.

But this....this has consistently stayed and being reported numerous of times.

Surely, this must have hold some weight if this rumour has survived this long.

MLID & Gematsu have backed this rumour up

But lotta other insiders deny it

Hella strange
Well the person from VGC also said he knows about a Silent Hill project from a prominent Japanese developer, which is not Kojima productions. But he also said he does not deny the Gematsu story since the journalist is trustworthy.

So I have now the theory that apart from the likely Bloober team Silent Hill Game, there are two more, one from Kojima and the other from another Japanese developer (possibly a VR game) and the insiders who deny it, just didn’t Heard- about the Kojima one, but only the other game.

its also possible that Kojima is making Silent Hills, while the other Japanese developer is making a remake of Silent Hill 1 or 2.

I mean Konami also saw the success Capcom had with their Resident Evil Games of Late, so I think it’s not impossible for them to lend the IP to more than 2 studios for more profit.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Well the person from VGC also said he knows about a Silent Hill project from a prominent Japanese developer, which is not Kojima productions. But he also said he does not deny the Gematsu story since the journalist is trustworthy.

So I have now the theory that apart from the likely Bloober team Silent Hill Game, there are two more, one from Kojima and the other from another Japanese developer (possibly a VR game) and the insiders who deny it, just didn’t Heard- about the Kojima one, but only the other game.

its also possible that Kojima is making Silent Hills, while the other Japanese developer is making a remake of Silent Hill 1 or 2.

I mean Konami also saw the success Capcom had with their Resident Evil Games of Late, so I think it’s not impossible for them to lend the IP to more than 2 studios for more profit.
Or there is also a possibility that the studio VGC heard about was acting as a support studio or a co-developer with Kojima, which is why we are hearing these conflicting reports about who is actually making the game. It could be explained if there are multiple studios making the same game.

Another possibility is protecting your source. If VGC, for example, says it's Kojima, the source may get exposed.

And, of course, another possibility that Kojima just isn't involved and Gematsu got the wrong information (though I now doubt it).

I really hope this is a straight forward survival horror expierence (terrifying of course) and doesn’t have some weird mechanics like soul stealing, blood drinking, carrying shit on your back, ect.

GreatnessRD

I really hope this is a straight forward survival horror expierence (terrifying of course) and doesn’t have some weird mechanics like soul stealing, blood drinking, carrying shit on your back, ect.
This is funnier to me than it should've been. With that said, show respect to Kojima-San! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Corndog

Banned
Honestly it's a waste of money.

Create a new horror IP with Kojima would be practically the same thing. But cheaper as they don't need to license out an IP. I'd also give it VR support (not exclusive just a enhancement). Hardcore fans would know it's basically a successor to PT/Silent Hills. The casual fans wouldn't give a fuck about Silent Hill IP in the first place.

If they were to license out an IP from Konami it would be Metal Gear or even Casktvania. The rest of the IPs have no relevance in this day and age
I’d rather have a revamped death stranding 2. Just make it a different type of game.

SkylineRKR

Silent Hill never sold that great, but it wasn't a bomb either. The good games on PS1 and PS2 at least.

I think you would be surprised at its selling potential right now. Its a long running IP thats been dormant for a long time, that also saw movies and is known by old and younger audiences. The trend I see is that dormant IP generally sell well. Shenmue 3 tanked ofcourse, but the KS was one of the most hyped in history. That game just turned out to be terrible and not the sequel the fans wanted. Other revivals that sold well are NieR Automata, for instance. SH was much bigger than those franchises, however.

If there are some names attached to SH, and if the game turns out to be good then I'm pretty sure it will sell. Death Stranding had the Kojima name attached to it, it didn't meet universal acclaim everywhere and was a new IP, despite the game not quite meeting expectations it broke 5 million units earlier this year. And its a very unconventional game.

Silent Hill is a more liked and more well known IP, and its a genre thats proven unlike DS. I think it can outperform DS at least.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
False.

Konami likes money.

And its way harder to hold a grudge when it stands against a big financial upside. Assuming such a thing (the alleged grudge) actually exists, which given that Kojima hasn't ever spoken out on the specifics, I'm not sure does.

The simple fact is Kojima was their top earning creative for a long, long time. He didn't end up so high in Konami's internal hierarchy because of his charming personality!

Lupin25

It makes sense for Sony to have interest.

Silent Hill might not be the strongest IP, but with Kojima’s name attached, after what transpired with PT, a successor doesn’t seem unimaginable.

Wait. The internet told me just 2 months ago that Bloober Team was developing Silent Hills.
Was that rumor not true and this is? Hmmmm.

Also, if the relationship between Kojima and Konami were that bad, I doubt they'd sign a deal allowing him to make a game with their IP. And if they did, im doubting its be exclusive to any platform as they want them dollars!!!

It's different when money is coming from Sony and they themselves want the game on their latest console.

So we now have Gematsu and this quite reliable Twitter handle saying opposite things about the claim. What a wild ride this is right now.
Look nothing against her personally, but she may have some inside information, but there is just no way she knows about everything going on in the industry. No one knows everything.

Therefore, again nothing personally, but she should learn to choose her words better. Really professionals will instead say something like „not according to my information“ or „I don’t know“. Like for example the guy from VGC said he meant another developer but also left the door open by saying he has no reason to doubt the Gematsu information.

The way she spells it just sounds arrogant and ignorant and I kind of hope she will later regret her wording.

ParaSeoul

Wait. The internet told me just 2 months ago that Bloober Team was developing Silent Hills.
Was that rumor not true and this is? Hmmmm.

Also, if the relationship between Kojima and Konami were that bad, I doubt they'd sign a deal allowing him to make a game with their IP. And if they did, im doubting its be exclusive to any platform as they want them dollars!!!
theres two games in development,maybe look for more than 3 minutes next time ok

ethomaz

Banned

I’m in that line too.

- A remaster collection.
- A Kojima game
- A PSVR2 game.

Last edited:

coffinbirth

Konami likes money.

And its way harder to hold a grudge when it stands against a big financial upside. Assuming such a thing (the alleged grudge) actually exists, which given that Kojima hasn't ever spoken out on the specifics, I'm not sure does.

The simple fact is Kojima was their top earning creative for a long, long time. He didn't end up so high in Konami's internal hierarchy because of his charming personality!
Google exists.

JimRyanGOAT

A few prominent leakers were saying Sony Japan Studios was in charge of the Silent hill reboot and it was a PS exclusive. Another SH game was being shopped around, which ended up being Bloober team I believe. Keep in mind, this was almost a year back before MLID, VGC, Rely on Horror, and other leakers came in.

Then Sony Japan was completely restructured so people dismissed the rumor

But its also possible Kojima was working on Silent hills in conjunction with Sony Japan since they had a few OG Team Silent members

Then Sony Japan was restructured and the OG's from Team Silent left Sony completely

So maybe one side heard Japan Studios, then the other side heard Kojima. I'm guessing it was Kojima's game but Sony Japan was lending out help

Just my theory

Last edited:

demonstr8

Look nothing against her personally, but she may have some inside information, but there is just no way she knows about everything going on in the industry. No one knows everything.

Therefore, again nothing personally, but she should learn to choose her words better. Really professionals will instead say something like „not according to my information“ or „I don’t know“. Like for example the guy from VGC said he meant another developer but also left the door open by saying he has no reason to doubt the Gematsu information.

The way she spells it just sounds arrogant and ignorant and I kind of hope she will later regret her wording.
A really reasonable and sensible take that describes the importance of the words people use and what they actually mean. I would upboat you if I could.

KOMANI

KOMANI
A few prominent leakers were saying Sony Japan Studios was in charge of the Silent hill reboot and it was a PS exclusive. Another SH game was being shopped around, which ended up being Bloober team I believe. Keep in mind, this was almost a year back before MLID, VGC, Rely on Horror, and other leakers came in.

But its also possible Kojima was working on Silent hills in conjunction with Sony Japan since they had a few OG Team Silent members

Then Sony Japan was restructured and the OG's from Team Silent left Sony completely

So maybe one side heard Japan Studios, then the other side heard Kojima. I'm guessing it was Kojima's game but Sony Japan was lending out help

Just my theory
or someone confused a Sony Japanese studio with Sony's Japan Studio. The Blooper thing is probably true since there was a public agreement between them and Konami and they publicly contacted Masahiro Ito on twitter for work.

Zeroing

Banned
Lots of rumors 99% turn to be false so let’s assume it is not true.
If if turns to be real… we will be surprised

bitbydeath

Just my theory
Those staff that left Sony Japan formed Bokeh Game Studio, who are confirmed to be working on a horror game with a famous creative.

yurinka

Well if Sony is founding it that means Sony licensed the IP from Konami.

Sony can choose any developer for the job… it is not in the Konami concern.
If true (I'm 100% #teamFake) Sony funding it maybe means they paid for a (timed? console?) 3rd party exclusive.

It would be way, way more likely than Sony asking a 3rd party to license them a small IP (compared to Sony IPs). Even more considering Sony had many of the key creators of this IP and fired them recently.

Those staff that left Sony Japan formed Bokeh Game Studio, who are confirmed to be working on a horror game with a famous creative.
Yes, they are working on a Devil May Cry-ish new IP with horror elements that isn't Silent Hill. They shown very early WIP gameplay.

Just my theory

Good, now show us a list of everything gematsu has claimed that ended up being wrong.
Same goes with VGC. One of the listed there is wrong: Sony didn't shut down Japan Studio.

They restructured it changing their leadership, downsizing it, moved their XDEV (the ones who publish and support 2nd party, externally developed games like Bloodborne or Death Stranding) Japanese team away to report now to XDEV instead of to Japan Studio and merged all their internal development Japan Studio teams into one of them: Team Asobi, and finally the studio got rebranded and moved to a new office.

Now both Team Asobi and their XDEV Japanese teams have several job positions open to grow after the restructuring.

or someone confused a Sony Japanese studio with Sony's Japan Studio. The Blooper thing is probably true since there was a public agreement between them and Konami and they publicly contacted Masahiro Ito on twitter for work.
Sony's Japanese studios weren't working in Silent Hill. Japan Studio was working in Astro's Playroom and getting restructured (the key people behind the original Silent Hill or Siren left/were fired) and Polyphony was working on GT7. In addition to this, looking at reviews and sales Silent Hill is a small niche IP compared to a lot of Sony ones, so Sony has no reason to want to work on this 3rd party IP when they never developed games for 3rd party IPs. If they ever do it, it would make more sense to do it with a huge exclusive IP instead of with a small multiplatform one. I think they aren't, weren't and won't be working on Silent Hill.

Even Kojipro, who isn't a Sony studio, was working on Death Stranding's PC port and Director's Cut and according to Norman Reedus they are starting to work on its sequel. According to Kojima covid had a big impact on their productivity and haven't been very productive during the pandemic. And they are relatively small team, not enough to be working on two AAA games. In addition to this, Konami cancelled Silent Hills, the game he was making there and fired them so I highly doubt they would want to work again with Konami or with Silent Hill after they founded Kojipro. I think they aren't, weren't and won't be working on Silent Hill as Kojipro.

Bloober said they were working on a very popular horror IP for a big publisher, and later we knew the publisher is Konami, whose only popular horror IP is Silent Hill. They said Akira Yamaoka was going to work on a second game with Bloober, and Yamaoka mentioned he was going to work in the project that 'I think it's kinda the one you're hoping to hear about' that was going to be announced later this summer (in summer the game itself wasn't announced, but instead they announced Bloober+Konami deal without mentioning the name of the game). Seems super likely that Bloober is working in the next Silent Hill game with Konami and Yamaoka.

Silent Hill isn't a huge IP for Konami and they aren't so invested in AAA games anymore, so if in addition of making a new Silent Hill with Bloober they have another Silent Hill project in the works, I assume it will be a remaster/remake/compilation/mobile game/pachinko.

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
If true (I'm 100% #teamFake) Sony funding it maybe means they paid for a (timed? console?) 3rd party exclusive.

It would be way, way more likely than Sony asking a 3rd party to license them a small IP (compared to Sony IPs). Even more considering Sony had many of the key creators of this IP and fired them recently.

Yes, they are working on a Devil May Cry-ish new IP with horror elements that isn't Silent Hill. They shown very early WIP gameplay.

Same goes with VGC. One of the listed there is wrong: Sony didn't shut down Japan Studio.

They restructured it changing their leadership, downsizing it, moved their XDEV (the ones who publish and support 2nd party, externally developed games like Bloodborne or Death Stranding) Japanese team away to report now to XDEV instead of to Japan Studio and merged all their internal development Japan Studio teams into one of them: Team Asobi, and finally the studio got rebranded and moved to a new office.

Now both Team Asobi and their XDEV Japanese teams have several job positions open to grow after the restructuring.

Sony's Japanese studios weren't working in Silent Hill. Japan Studio was working in Astro's Playroom and getting restructured (the key people behind the original Silent Hill or Siren left/were fired) and Polyphony was working on GT7. In addition to this, looking at reviews and sales Silent Hill is a small niche IP compared to a lot of Sony ones, so Sony has no reason to want to work on this 3rd party IP when they never developed games for 3rd party IPs. If they ever do it, it would make more sense to do it with a huge exclusive IP instead of with a small multiplatform one. I think they aren't, weren't and won't be working on Silent Hill.

Even Kojipro, who isn't a Sony studio, was working on Death Stranding's PC port and Director's Cut and according to Norman Reedus they are starting to work on its sequel. According to Kojima covid had a big impact on their productivity and haven't been very productive during the pandemic. And they are relatively small team, not enough to be working on two AAA games. In addition to this, Konami cancelled Silent Hills, the game he was making there and fired them so I highly doubt they would want to work again with Konami or with Silent Hill after they founded Kojipro. I think they aren't, weren't and won't be working on Silent Hill as Kojipro.

Bloober said they were working on a very popular horror IP for a big publisher, and later we knew the publisher is Konami, whose only popular horror IP is Silent Hill. They said Akira Yamaoka was going to work on a second game with Bloober, and Yamaoka mentioned he was going to work in the project that 'I think it's kinda the one you're hoping to hear about' that was going to be announced later this summer (in summer the game itself wasn't announced, but instead they announced Bloober+Konami deal without mentioning the name of the game). Seems super likely that Bloober is working in the next Silent Hill game with Konami and Yamaoka.

Silent Hill isn't a huge IP for Konami and they aren't so invested in AAA games anymore, so if in addition of making a new Silent Hill with Bloober they have another Silent Hill project in the works, I assume it will be a remaster/remake/compilation/mobile game/pachinko.
jesus christ man, why did i get the 6 paragraph response with run on sentences. sure, whatever makes your head canon intact.

Shubh_C63

Did I missed anything.
Wasn't the dev from Medium making the next Silent Hill game. Why even this Sony/Kojipro speculation exists after that news.

The Snake

I don't think anybody's gonna read this dude

How can you be in such denial. The person from VGC was even tweeting that while they have heard about another prominent Japanese developer, he has no reason to doubt the Gematsu information, since he knows that Sal from Gematsu is a very good journalist. It is possible that there are more than 2 Silent Hill games are in the works.

No one is denying that bloober is working on a silent hill game, but it would be too early to announce it as it’s probably in early development and can’t therefore bebte game Yamaoka-san was teasing.

ilent Hill isn't a huge IP for Konami and they aren't so invested in AAA games anymore, so if in addition of making a new Silent Hill with Bloober they have another Silent Hill project in the works, I assume it will be a remaster/remake/compilation/mobile game/pachinko.
LOL and why shouldn’t they allow two or more companies allow them to make games. They are just lending out the IP, they are not funding / developing it, so it’s no Risk for them with a guaranteed profit. If there are 10 interested parties they would probably lend it to 10 companies….

Top Bottom