• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gen Z Reacts to the Original Xbox

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Gen Z reacts to the original Xbox as millennials watch and reminisce on the nostalgia.

giphy-20.gif

Last edited:

Fatbody

I clicked on this expecting to get a little hit of nostalgia mixed in with some “I’m getting too old for this shit.” But instead, I got the cast of Empire and a weepy teenage girl talking about her panic attacks.

Also, I vividly remember playing with people on the west coast from my suburban basement in NY on the extremely ahead of it’s time OG Xbox Live. There was nothing like it in 2002. It was a unified, system level platform that connected living rooms together all over the planet with a push of the A button. Not only does this video not mentioned anything about it, they straight up deny its existence.

Kuranghi

Fond memories of my chipped Xbox running XBMC and outputing 720p and DD/DTS through VGA + optical, watching movies, playing sound through my Logitech Z-5500s. Having surround sound in console games that early on was immense.

Getting the most stoned possible and watching Advent "won't someone please think of the" Children in that fashion was amazing. I'm sure there was a 720p copy around before the disc release.

Fond memories of my chipped Xbox running XBMC and outputing 720p and DD/DTS through VGA + optical, watching movies, playing sound through my Logitech Z-5500s. Having surround sound in console games that early on was immense.

Getting the most stoned possible and watching Advent "won't someone please think of the" Children in that fashion was amazing. I'm sure there was a 720p copy around before the disc release.

I made some bank off chipping the OG Xbox back then, our company had one of the few legal mods and never gave/sold dodgy games etc. Just pure modding and the gamers were left to "backup" their games themselves. XBMC was crazy good back then. Such an awesome community of homebrew mods too. The Xbox 360 and Live/DRM killed that shit off though.

sainraja

First Gen Z-er loads Halo CE and says...

So many hardcore Halo nerds just cried out in anti-sprint pain. Fucking LOL.
Why would you want to restrict running in Halo in any way?
People are able to run. Why can't the Spartans or why shouldn't they be able to run?

Why would you want to restrict running in Halo in any way?
People are able to run. Why can't the Spartans or why shouldn't they be able to run?
One of Halo's main gameplay appeals is that you are not penalized for shooting while moving, jumping, or shooting from the hip like literally every other mainstream FPS. Sprint makes you put your gun down to run at full speed and changes how maps/guns work to account for that. A lot of people feel like that makes the gameplay less interesting.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Feel like these nitwits would have been just as stumped with current consoles tbh.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Meanwhile Gen Xers:
Confused Tom Hiddleston GIF
I feel this.
If I walked into that room going from the SNES I wound have freaked out that I was some awesome room. I guess I can also in hindsight appreciate the leaps the OG Xbox helped to create in console gaming. Well of course not just the Xbox but the PS2 and GameCube. But let’s not forget the real hero the Dreamcast.

man they don’t know shit. Remember back in the day you had to plug your NES into a box to stop the TV/VHS interference.

I think I Gen X have gone from new technology which wasn’t user friendly so we had to plug in wires switch channels make work arounds (scart, scart adapters , RGB, region locked games and game adaptors etc) DVD region unlocking etc. To super easy new tech HDMI that is user friendly.

Also had my son tell me that snes graphics are terrible and look old fashioned. Lol. I had to call myself before telling him he should know where gaming came from. Before telling him of the glory of the 2600

Last edited:

Wildebeest

It's good that these geriatric millennials can still form bonds over video games. Just let them win, and lie to them by telling them that their opinions are still relevant. It is kinder.

Kssio_Aug

I find the attempt of this video cringier than the "teens" in there. It's clearly exaggerated... My brother in law is of their age and he had an Xbox 360 and a PS3, so obviously he knew how to use a disc (and I'm pretty sure he also had a PS2 when younger). The original Xbox and PS2 is by no means that alien to these young people, except if they were living in a cave.

Last edited:

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
wait, did people always connect their console to their TV via the front of the TV? I always used a SCART lead and connected it to the back of the TV.

Skifi28

Best console I've ever had, way ahead of its time with features and visuals a generation ahead of the competition. But this video... Yeah nevermind.

Drew1440

wait, did people always connect their console to their TV via the front of the TV? I always used a SCART lead and connected it to the back of the TV.
The US never used Scart, the nearest alternative was component (uncommon for regular CRT) or S-Video. Even then these consoles still shipped with composite cables, even in Europe where most TVs had scart.
Still triggers me that people connect their PS2 via the composite cable, despite their TVs having a component input

OG Xbox was a anomaly in the console buisness that will never reappear. Ill never forget tht first time i saw the linux dashboard with all the bells and whistles. He had an dvd recorder built in, so he could rip Games/Movies/Music, stored them in an FTP Server and could reburn them anytime. Also he loaded N64/PSX games via his FTP Server to play them on the emulator on the console. It was black magic and anything was so promising for the future of home entertainment. I really miss those days...

Season 2 Reaction GIF by Friends

sainraja

One of Halo's main gameplay appeals is that you are not penalized for shooting while moving, jumping, or shooting from the hip like literally every other mainstream FPS. Sprint makes you put your gun down to run at full speed and changes how maps/guns work to account for that. A lot of people feel like that makes the gameplay less interesting.
I think that is a silly reason NOT to have sprinting/running in the game. Master Chief is capable of running and so the game should support it. Appreciate the response though! Thank you!

I wouldn't, I don't mind sprint per se but I do like it implemented well. It's a common thing among Halo nutters though.
Ofcourse, the focus should be on implementation.

Last edited:

sainraja

OG Xbox was a anomaly in the console buisness that will never reappear. Ill never forget tht first time i saw the linux dashboard with all the bells and whistles. He had an dvd recorder built in, so he could rip Games/Movies/Music, stored them in an FTP Server and could reburn them anytime. Also he loaded N64/PSX games via his FTP Server to play them on the emulator on the console. It was black magic and anything was so promising for the future of home entertainment. I really miss those days...

Season 2 Reaction GIF by Friends
For me, the controller just ruined the experience on Xbox. The S controller (IMO) didn't really improve much. The best Xbox controller was introduced with the One in my opinion. My issue with 360 was the weird battery hump on the back, the shape and d-pad.

GymWolf

For me, the controller just ruined the experience on Xbox. The S controller (IMO) didn't really improve much. The best Xbox controller was introduced with the One in my opinion. My issue with 360 was the weird battery hump on the back, the shape and d-pad.
I loved their big controllers, nowadays they only produce controllers fro midgets hands...

Today my switch pro controller arrived and i was hyped after all the praise online just to find this small ass thing that is even smaller than xone pad...

Last edited:
Top Bottom