• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

General Thread/Musings about LBGTQ+ Representation in Games

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
So, first and most importantly, disclaimers:

I think this is cool with the ToS, if not, mods can take care of it.

This is a topic for actual engaging discussion about representation's role in games, where it's used correctly, incorrectly, disengenously. Good examples of characters and protagonists, etc. Please keep this thread away from specific politics, as per THE RULES.

And finally, I know this is a redundant request for 98% of you, but keep hatred and slurs out of this discussion.

That said:

I was recently browsing another purple forum, and there was a thread about Chris Redfield and whether or not people thought he was gay, would ever be outed as gay by Capcom, if there's evidence of him being gay, etc. There was talk about a note in the RPD in RE2R that Chris left, and a couple of users interpreted it and subtext for his sexual orientation, where as the vast majority were like "He's obviously speaking out of character to send his comrades news of his sting on Umbrella in Europe without alerting the crooked police,"

And this got me thinking about the whole representation in gaming thing. Now, I wholly believe games should be games above all, but as the trend of narrative focused titles with deep characterization rises, of course there is going to be more facets of the real world expressed and explored.

So what, fellow GAF, constitutes good representation to you? What are some good examples that aren't hamfisted? What are some examples that you thought were poor, be it because of stereotypical portrayal, disingenuous check box ticking or real world agendas creeping in? Following that, do you think titles and characters defined by their sexuality should be a thing? Are we setting up a lopsided double standard, or is the error thinking that a game that doesn't have gay themes or characters is automatically a "straight game," ?

Furthermore, do you believe companies have gay coded characters without explicitly stating their preferences, or do you think it's mostly underrepresented people seeing animal shapes in clouds? Is there a perfect balance?

To put in perspective, I'm a bisexual dude who has mostly been involved with women, so none of this is coming from a jaded "You guys already know the answer I'm looking for!" point of view. It's just a topic I don't see explicitly mentioned on GAF a lot, and I figured for some, it would be a discussion worth having. For those not interested, I get it, too.

I think, just as a little bit of my own opinion before signing off here, Bill from the original The Last of Us was one of the best realized homosexual characters in gaming. He was a side character, sure. But his sexuality tied into his story without overpowering it, and it never creeped into the main storyline. It wasn't preachy, praised or condemned. It was just a part of his character. A detail to flesh him out and make him more realistic. There was a level of restraint and realism there that I'd love to see other games (and media in general) tackle.

Have it, guys.

Quasicat

I don’t really think about or care about other’s sexuality, in real life or in my entertainment. When someone feels they need to make a big deal out of it, I just look the other way. I don’t share my sexuality with others because I think others feel the same way I do…they don’t care either. I let you be you and you let me be me.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I don’t really think about or care about other’s sexuality, in real life or in my entertainment. When someone feels they need to make a big deal out of it, I just look the other way. I don’t share my sexuality with others because I think others feel the same way I do…they don’t care either. I let you be you and you let me be me.

That's essentially how I am in real life, as well. I think narratively it can have a purpose, but I think regarding any topic, there's a good way to write a story, and a bad way.

Outlier

I don't mind representation of anything in a game.

Just don't make the game about the representation and don't tack it on to check a box.

I would totally play a game with minority trans disabled whatever person, if they told a compelling story about the characters personal journey/struggles or just didn't talk about it at all and it was simply just who the character is, rather than be about "HEY look we put the minority in to upset the status quo! Now give us social justice points!"

Honestly, i dont care what anyones deep desires are, i just find it annoying when is pushed in our video games, you can engage in any cpnversation you want, but if im sitting infront off my tv, i dont look at characters and be like “ he prolly likes it in the ass”.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I don't care about representation or other cultural and/or political influences in media. If something doesn't fit my taste I won't listen, see or interact with it. What a game studio chooses to portray is 100% up to them. Which games people want to play is 100% up to them.

People who try to stop freedom-in-general are the people I'm dodging online and IRL.

Gankthenew

I think it's fun to see this sometimes in the story, but I don't understand why some people care so much about it

I don't like how in games or Netflix, tv, etc, try to make a characters orientation, become their personality.

It's like that one guy who owns a souped up racing car. All he ever does is talk about his car, upgrades, facts about his car, future plans about his car, etc. His whole identity is based on his car. This should not be the case with orientation or anything. First and foremost, you are your own person, and your identification/orientation should not make up your personality.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
If you need ”representation” in video games of all things then something is definitely lacking in your own self. Having a gay character in a game wont fix your issues. People who think like this, waste their time and energy will never find peace.

Every time this crap is put in games i wont buy said game. I save both money and time, so it’s a win win for me 🥳

Banned
If you need ”representation” in video games of all things then something is definitely lacking in your own self. Having a gay character in a game wont fix your issues. People who think like this, waste their time and energy will never find peace.

Every time this crap is put in games i wont buy said game. I save both money and time, so it’s a win win for me 🥳

I think someone is projecting here

Editaur

Most of strong characters I could find any thing to relate to never really mentioned their sexual preferences.

To be honest I find it more offensive being treated like a fashion trend or a couple of bullet points you can slap on and call it a day.

Last edited:

GreenAlien

The woke concept of "representation" is always wrong. There is no correct way to do it. The moment you do "representation" you failed. The moment you demand "representation", include "representation" or feel "represented" by something that's not an idea/opinion/belief/moral, you are in the wrong.

Creators can use any other reason..
"I just felt like having a gay pink trans gorilla there". That's fine.
"I included a gay pink trans gorilla because representation". Not fine.

People can feel represented by ideas/opinions/believes/morals..
"I feel represented by green aliens because they are green aliens" -That's just racist.
"I feel represented by green aliens because they all share my ideas/opinions/believes/morals" - That's fine. It's good to be a hive mind.

That means, of course, that most of the time the only way to judge correctly is based on marketing and specific creator statements.. Which is really unsatisfying.
So I would say, the correct way to do it is to just not do it and shut up about doing it. Don't point it out in your marketing. Don't make a big deal out of it. Don't talk about it.

Last edited:

Damigos

Why must everyone be represented everywhere ?

And where does it stop ?
For example if i have we have a character that is black and gay dont we create a problem to all black straight guys ?

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
There's a lot of opinions here that basically echo my own. If it's done right, it's not some focal point of the game's DNA, and not a back of the box, center of the trailer marketing point.

Modern studios seem to fall into the trap of overcorrecting, to the point of parody, or exhibition. In 2021, I think it's logical to have different races and sexualities featured in a games' world as it makes sense and as the developer sees fit to do so, but I will always believe the true answer lies in equality and not equity. At no point in time should anyone else in the equation be stepped on in the name of another person, because it will inevitably lead to another flip of the coin back to the ways things were before. These things should be normalized at this point. Not special, but not spoken of in hushed tones, either. Just the same as everyone and everything else.

Pejo

OP, thanks for giving me the opportunity to post this.

Q2jTzYG.jpg

I think the drive for diversity (for games) in sexual orientation and gender identity is a side effect of LGBT+ making too much of their own identities as humans about their sexuality. If I'm straight, I don't make it a defining characteristic of myself. I have hobbies, I have things that drive me, I have things that I don't like. In a conversation with another human, the last thing that should come up or be focused on is where I want to put my dick. That's how I feel about video games. The characters should be interesting without leaning on the fact that they're gay or whatever. For all the problems the show had, I thought that the gay characters in The Walking Dead were really good. They were way more than the sum of their sexuality while not hiding it away.

A lot of what I've seen in gaming where this conversation applies, is that FIRST - they are LGBT+, then their actual character traits are secondary or don't even matter at all.

Excess

That's essentially how I am in real life, as well. I think narratively it can have a purpose, but I think regarding any topic, there's a good way to write a story, and a bad way.
I'm not a writer, but I do know this is a part of good storytelling, that sex and violence is only as good as it's usefulness to the story.

Maybe there exists a good way to include these topics. I just don't know that it does for me anymore. The subject has been politicized by activists, and the strategy successfully rolled out across all media. I now see any kind of inclusion as the manifestation of this agenda. If the entire game focuses on LGBTQ topics, it's of no interest to me. If a character's gay, but it's just a detail on a character bio or something, it feels like ticking a checkbox for the sake of 'normalization' and earning brownie points. Heck, even if the devs keep their characters' sexuality a secret on purpose so people keep speculating about it, that's still diverting attention to it. Making a character gay doesn't make them unique. It doesn't make them interesting. It's a done to death trope at this point, and I'm personally sick of it.

ReBurn

Gold Member
If the creator wants to include representative characters and scenarios in their games then I'm on board. If they choose not to I'm on board. I'll side with creative vision over identity politics any day.

Winter John

Gold Member
All I hope is one day we'll evolve to the point where having minorities playing main characters is viewed as an unremarkable everyday thing. Instead of being held up by a bunch of condescending, self serving middle class fools as something that needs to be celebrated and given an inclusiveness trophy. Or attacked by uneducated, worthless failures who see any minority representation as a "woke" agenda designed to warp their fragile minds.

Gaming has had diverse characters for eons if you ask me.

It's the internet that made it a huge deal.

I never batted an eye when I played as CJ in GTA:SA, I never batted an eye when I played as Lara Craft in Tomb Raider, I never batted an eye when I was playing some rodent named Ratchet in R&C, and I never batted an eye when I had a giant tongue wagging party member or a giant walking talking cat in FFIX & FFX.

Diversity in gaming had always existed, it's just that now its becoming a selling point and that in itself is where things became cringey AF and we're shoved down our throats about how this character is gay - out of the blue - like some game characters, or how devs make a point to say "we really wanted to represent other people" and making an entire game that revolves around them making a point for that.

It's silly, its dumb, and I cant believe my ears when I hear a dev making that a selling point of a game.

Like, I really don't give a shit about any of it being implemented in a game at all, but just don't shove it in my face and expect me to give you a high five over it.

As many have said, it's a great thing to experience in a game when it unfolds naturally, like Bill and Ellie from TLOU, but it's awful when its painfully obvious and used as a marketing tool.

NikuNashi

The best representation of any demographic in games, or any other medium, is when that demographic isn't noticed. Ultimately, they are just people......right?
Exactly, I think what rubs people the wrong way is when the first info that gets 'leaked' about a game is something about inclusion. Then when game 'journalists' (I use that term in the loosest possible way) jump on it and write Twitter bait articles about it. It's a bad way to sell a game and is very divisive and hurts the overall cause.

Reactions: Fuz
OP, thanks for giving me the opportunity to post this.

Q2jTzYG.jpg

I think the drive for diversity (for games) in sexual orientation and gender identity is a side effect of LGBT+ making too much of their own identities as humans about their sexuality. If I'm straight, I don't make it a defining characteristic of myself. I have hobbies, I have things that drive me, I have things that I don't like. In a conversation with another human, the last thing that should come up or be focused on is where I want to put my dick. That's how I feel about video games. The characters should be interesting without leaning on the fact that they're gay or whatever. For all the problems the show had, I thought that the gay characters in The Walking Dead were really good. They were way more than the sum of their sexuality while not hiding it away.

A lot of what I've seen in gaming where this conversation applies, is that FIRST - they are LGBT+, then their actual character traits are secondary or don't even matter at all.
It's narcissism.

I am all for everyone being represented, I’ve got no prejudice, I just want the characters to not be stupidly over the top just because. I enjoy it when the representation is casual, not where the character is being forced to look or act above and beyond to push them due to their orientation. I look at people as equals, no matter their color, sexual orientation, etc. They should be represented as such.

Guilty_AI

So what, fellow GAF, constitutes good representation to you? What are some good examples that aren't hamfisted?
I think the problems lies in deeper waters.
Narratives in big games simply aren't very good most of the time. A lot of the "represetation" feels force and hamfisted because the people making those narratives write two dimensional characters in the first place.

They see all the buzz about inclusion and start developing characters around that single aspect of "oh hes black, hes gay, shes a strong woman, yada yada". Naturally that isn't nearly enough to build a proper personage. On the other side, they can also lazily throw in something like "oh shes actually lesbian" without any reason or context just for the sake of getting brownie points.

Particularly, I think this isn't much different from how it has always been. There are plenty of works with bad two dimensional characters, written that way just in attempts to pander to modern trends. Or companies trying to please younger demographics with their "how do you fellow kids" moments.

TL;DR -> The complaint about hamfist and pandering can actually be attributed to merely poor writing.

2017-11-08-140026.jpg

do you think titles and characters defined by their sexuality should be a thing? Are we setting up a lopsided double standard, or is the error thinking that a game that doesn't have gay themes or characters is automatically a "straight game," ?
That really depends on the game. If sexuality is a major part of the game (think JP romance VNs), then its only natural. You can't make a visual novel about gay dudes dating without making it very explicit its a game with a bunch of gay dudes. And naturally a similar game of a boy or a girl making an harem of the opposite gender will naturally be advertised to straight people of the MCs gender.

The error here is thinking that everything needs to be defined by sexuality. Theres no reason for a grounded WW2 game for example to focus too much on a characters sexuality, that isn't why people are there.
Its a "war game", not a "gay game" or a "straight game".

Last edited:

Ozzie666

Doesn't bother me either way, I just like when it makes sense, story makes sense, character is well written and that it doesn't feel forced or just included to check a PR box. Developers shouldn't be forced. Hopefully gaming doesn't go the way of the CW TV shows. It needs to be natural.

As for great representation, a lot of old video game characters would probably be too stereotypical and not acceptable now in today's client. My first thought was Tony from GTA, as people have mentioned. Most recent Ellie from last of us.

Last edited:

Plantoid

If I were to play as a black transgender fat rastafari woman
or as a white male everytime, I simply wouldn't care either way

Nezzeroth

Congratulations.

Knack Ellie is one of, if not THE greatest gay protagonist in all of gaming.

Its the subtle and realistic portrayal, the writing and acting, that nails it for me.
Disagree. She is, quite literally, an intolerant bigot and does nothing to improve the stigma.
Bill, however, was a fantastic character, and the fact that I would never have guessed he was gay until he brought up his partner is the right way to go about it.
I also enjoyed Dorian in DA:O, even though generally Bioware's "force-feed you LGBT propaganda" approach to gaming isn't appreciated. With Dorian, they at least made him easy to empathize with instead of making him an asshole like Ellie.

Nezzeroth

Some good examples

Bill in TLOU1
This is probably my favorite. A lot of times gay inclusion is kind of trash to be honest, because a big deal is made out of it for no reason. Bill on the other hand being gay doesn't really change much and it's not thrown at your face. Good writing.

kyliethicc

Disagree. She is, quite literally, an intolerant bigot and does nothing to improve the stigma.
Bill, however, was a fantastic character, and the fact that I would never have guessed he was gay until he brought up his partner is the right way to go about it.
I also enjoyed Dorian in DA:O, even though generally Bioware's "force-feed you LGBT propaganda" approach to gaming isn't appreciated. With Dorian, they at least made him easy to empathize with instead of making him an asshole like Ellie.
Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

Topher

Gold Member
true, but tell that to the bad writers and wannabe activists

Well, that's the difference between good writers and bad. The good writers don't need to be told. I watched Star Wars: Rogue One and loved it not thinking once "dammit.....too few of the main characters are white heterosexual males".

How was Ellie an intolerant bigot again?

Last edited:
The woke concept of "representation" is always wrong. There is no correct way to do it. The moment you do "representation" you failed. The moment you demand "representation", include "representation" or feel "represented" by something that's not an idea/opinion/belief/moral, you are in the wrong.

Creators can use any other reason..
"I just felt like having a gay pink trans gorilla there". That's fine.
"I included a gay pink trans gorilla because representation". Not fine.

People can feel represented by ideas/opinions/believes/morals..
"I feel represented by green aliens because they are green aliens" -That's just racist.
"I feel represented by green aliens because they all share my ideas/opinions/believes/morals" - That's fine. It's good to be a hive mind.

That means, of course, that most of the time the only way to judge correctly is based on marketing and specific creator statements.. Which is really unsatisfying.
So I would say, the correct way to do it is to just not do it and shut up about doing it. Don't point it out in your marketing. Don't make a big deal out of it. Don't talk about it.

Funny enough ERA is having a fit over the main character of Forespoken and it basically boils down to the bolded of your post. I don't think anything can ever satiate them, even as a stepping stone.

To OP's question, I have no problem with LGBT characters in anything. Just don't put down non-LGBT characters to prop them up, and make them genuinely interesting, that means having internal conflicts that display flaws they have to overcome, not just all of their problems being external forces. That doesn't work for straight characters, why would it suddenly work for gay ones?

Somewhat related as well but, if a game is actually going to focus on a character's sexuality as part of their story and wants to be something of an accurate reflection of the world in doing so, it'd be nice if locations where LGBT+ rights (including basic human rights) are actually under serious threat. That means a lot of places that aren't America or most of Europe. Yes, I know there are still certain problems that specifically affect LGBT+ people more than straight people here (just like how there are laws and such that specifically affect minorities more unfairly than white people in America), but some stories which focus on issues adversely affecting LGBT+ tend to always make America the ultimate villain in that (when they want to blame a given country's systemic issues) and just realistically speaking, even with all its problems a country like America is one of the best places for LGBT+ people (and other minority groups) WRT civil and human rights.

ShadowLag

I don't care what the sexuality of the characters are in a video game, movie, other form of entertainment, or real life. No one has the right to tell the creators what they should or shouldn't put in their game. It's how we end up with focus group tested and agenda driven bullshit.

Last edited:

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I dream of a future where a detail about learning someone is lgbt is about as eventful as picking up your mail from the mailbox. As a bi male I'd love to be normalized. I just don't want it to ever be my main adjective, you know? We're all so much more than a label. I'm also kind of against forcefully inserting it everywhere too, as it mostly just increases hateful backlash that is only a headache to my life.

Top Bottom