• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genshin Impact |OT| 4.0 (Fontaine) - Je m'appelle "la baleine"

McCheese

It's a bit shit, isn't it?

It feels like they threw a lot of labour into making it, but every time somebody wanted to know how something should function they just pointed vaguely in the direction of another game and said "something like that"; it's not even that it's unpolished, but just unloved and lacking any sort of creative direction.

Gripes so far
  • Characters are generic one-note trash. Coming off the amazing Atelier Ryza, it's hard to feel anything for the cast of characters in this; they are all so one dimensional and bland they might of well just have been png images.
  • They gloss over the gatcha mechanics until you've already sunk a lot of hours into it, to the extent that they don't even give you tutorials for the gatcha systems until the 5-6 hour mark. I can understand why they do this, but folks know they are not getting an AAA game for free, so I wish they would just be upfront about the real gameplay loop of this (i.e. buy stuff or grind stuff) earlier on rather than baiting and switching when you've already spent a day playing it.
  • Travelling the overworld is a fucking slog, everything feels like it's been intentionally made a chore so they can sell you a way to make it not be a chore later on. The stamina for running and climbing being so low, the teleportation points being annoying far away from locations you need to frequently re-visit etc. It's like the mirror-world version of Breath of the Wild where exploration was always a joy (despite it looking like it's the same game in places).
  • For a game that works on a mobile phone, surprised at how poor the performance is on the PS4 Pro, maybe the travelling would be less of a slog if the framerate wasn't hovering around the 20 mark. I feel like the always-online stuff is possibly causing a lot of frame spikes.
  • The waifu game is weak in this, all the "mummy" characters are 3-star rubbish and the rare ones look like they belong in a Doraemon episode. I feel bad for the coder who worked on the jiggle physics, hope he didn't put too much effort in.
For folks who haven't started yet, I'd be... quite wary about investing time into it, even without the gatcha stuff it's probably a 6/10 game, I really can't see myself sticking with it once the grind sets in.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
  • Characters are generic one-note trash. Coming off the amazing Atelier Ryza, it's hard to feel anything for the cast of characters in this; they are all so one dimensional and bland they might of well just have been png images.
GrayPeskyDragonfly-small.gif

• They gloss over the gatcha mechanics until you've already sunk a lot of hours into it, to the extent that they don't even give you tutorials for the gatcha systems until the 5-6 hour mark. I can understand why they do this, but folks know they are not getting an AAA game for free, so I wish they would just be upfront about the real gameplay loop of this (i.e. buy stuff or grind stuff) earlier on rather than baiting and switching when you've already spent a day playing it.
It is a free game and you can accumulate points to unlock characters for free. (luck) Don't tell me this is your first gacha game? Also grinding? In a RPG MMO like game? NOOOOOOOOOOO!

• Travelling the overworld is a fucking slog, everything feels like it's been intentionally made a chore so they can sell you a way to make it not be a chore later on. The stamina for running and climbing being so low, the teleportation points being annoying far away from locations you need to frequently re-visit etc.
Your stamina can be upgraded as you play the game and there is like two teleportation things per area.

• For a game that works on a mobile phone, surprised at how poor the performance is on the PS4 Pro, maybe the travelling would be less of a slog if the framerate wasn't hovering around the 20 mark. I feel like the always-online stuff is possibly causing a lot of frame spikes.
Turn on v-sync and disable motion blur. With meh internet I got a consistent 30FPS. But yeh game could run better.

The real complaint is how once you do all your main quests you are stuck just roaming the world trying to accumulate shit to unlock the rest of the world. NOW that is SHIT. Also the wheel thing being randomly broken.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Unlucky me
You should get another 3 free pulls as soon as you reach level 11. They just gave out another free 10 summon things btw. You could also save em for later as half of the playable characters are still not available.

Mista

Banned
Reached adventure rank 15 finally
You should get another 3 free pulls as soon as you reach level 11. They just gave out another free 10 summon things btw. You could also save em for later as half of the playable characters are still not available.
I already made a couple of pulls

Larxia

I'm disappointed by something, the day / night cycle is way too short :( I don't like when games do this, I prefer playing during bright day time, and therefore I feel like I need to rush to see some places with good lighting because the night will be there soon. It also takes some immersion away.
When I started the game it was day time forever, probably only for the intro.

Last edited:

Wunray

I take it there is no FOV slider, shame really, also locked 60fps, which isn't really bad. I like the games art style though. Combat seems fun but then again I haven't beaten the prologue so it might get even more awesome.

Reactions: Isa

Saber

Gold Member

Does this begginer set or any other character set gonna be available once I reach 11? I feel like I was too unlucky with my tries.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Does this begginer set or any other character set gonna be available once I reach 11? I feel like I was too unlucky with my tries.
You accumulate those weird things you can make into the summon things...er just do missions and collect stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Tell me more.
Combat has no dodge nor defense or parry buttons. Don't expect BOTW gameplay in that regard.

Instead it feels a little bit MMOey. Sone characters can aim with a bow or cast msgic but, for what I have seen, melee combat is just press button to attack or press button to skill.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
What do you mean no dodge? There is a dodge button.
Wasn't it a run button? But whatever, I meant like something in BOTW, being able to lock onto an enemy and roll or jump around him like in most action games.

Larxia

Wasn't it a run button? But whatever, I meant like something in BOTW, being able to lock onto an enemy and roll or jump around him like in most action games.
If you press it just once it's a dash which is useful to avoid attacks.

Still getting used to evading with R1, to the point i just run in circles 🤣🤣
I got hit during a boss fight because of this earlier lol
edit : oh wait no I thought you said you were trying to avoid with circle / B, which is what I did

Last edited:

John Day

If you press it just once it's a dash which is useful to avoid attacks.

I got hit during a boss fight because of this earlier lol
edit : oh wait no I thought you said you were trying to avoid with circle / B, which is what I did
LOL Did that too!

Neolombax

Game runs surprisingly fine on my base ps4? Turned off v sync and motion blur though, and had it installed on my HDD...or it could be im a more forgiving person than I thought I was when it comes to performance.

Its basically a mobile gacha on a console, which is honestly fine with me. I play gacha games all the time. The world is really easy on the eyes, and while the gameplay is pretty basic, the different characters make up for that in a way. Having fun exploring the world. The way elemental effects react to enemies and the world was really surprising.

TintoConCasera

There's dodge
Yeah, my bad, didn't think of using the run button as a dodge. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Still, I was trying to make the point for the guy asking that the gameplay is not much like BOTW.

DESTROYA

Alright my impressions of the mobile version :

Have a totally different experience on it on mobile.
Tried on a fairly new ipad a year or two old and it’s a friggin mess.

Pros:

Looks very nice
Doesn‘t seem too Gacha that requires you to pay too win but that can all change since I only leveled up to 5

Cons:

Performance is horrible and most cut scenes are a slide show taking away parts of the story
Laggy and very buggy, didn’t load backgrounds at all making traveling or going anywhere very difficult
Worst part is the First flying Dragon stage when you first get your wings , couldn’t see the Dragon at all or what direction you were supposedly flying because the screen did not load properly
Virtual controls are horrible
Definitely not even in the same class as BOTW, while they do have a very similar art style, mechanic and enemy type
BOTW is a much more polished game and a lot more fun , not even close.
Lack of controller support when this game was clearly made with a controller in mind.

Maybe the PC version is better but wanted to try it put before investing a lot of time into it and walked away extremely dissatisfied. Mobile version still needs a lot of work and not ready for Prime time.Might give it a few more tries and see were it goes but so far not a enjoyable experience.

Wish the game wasn't only 60fps, as it feels "slow" compared to what I'm used to. Besides that, the game is gorgeous and plenty of fun! I'm not really into MMO's, so enjoying this game is surprising. Almost adventure rank 16, maybe another hour or so and I'll be there. Can't wait to try out with my friends.

Mista

Banned
Wish the game wasn't only 60fps, as it feels "slow" compared to what I'm used to. Besides that, the game is gorgeous and plenty of fun! I'm not really into MMO's, so enjoying this game is surprising. Almost adventure rank 16, maybe another hour or so and I'll be there. Can't wait to try out with my friends.
True that. The game can easily do more

Pejo

1wBRRyT.png

Is this any good, not used to playing these kinds of games.
I got the eyepatch girl on one of my rerolls, her R2 move is like an electric parry/super armor thing. I don't generally like the greatsword users in this game though. There's not enough hitstun to make up for how slow the weapons swing so it feels bad to play. Shame, I like her design.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Trying it out soon.

Looks like BotW, but I got bored of BotW after 5 hours so I'll give this a try.

*I know this game is not like BotW*

TintoConCasera

Me : cool a cute girl
Game: no it is a boy
Me: lol no
Game: look it has a boy voice
Me: fuck you game

We need more weapon variety.
Guess we all had some doubts at that scene with the "boy" and the dragon uh. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Given the impressions here, it seems like the game can be finished completely with just the story characters and the waifu pulls are largely unnecessary.

Not that I'm complaining, but I can't help but wonder why they wouldn't just charge money for this game. Seems like it would sell gangbusters even at $20, and they could even keep the gacha mechanics in place for the whales. I suppose they know what they're doing though, and who am I to complain about getting something like this for free...

Mista

Banned
Did a couple of rerolls but this was my best one. I'm just gonna with this one even though i wanted Jean or Xianglong. Definitely gonna spend a bit more time with it later tonight.
Nice pull right there! I didn’t bother to reroll. I’m enjoying the game with what I have

Looks like with the one-time bonus they are doing, I'm going to reverse my previous stance and reroll the shit out of this game the next 2 nights. Hopefully I can come away with some cute waifus to start out with.

Last edited:
Top Bottom