• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley says to expect fewer third-party showcases this summer. (VGC)

WolfusFh

This is my hope too. In fact, I wish they mostly focused on these AA kind of games with some more polish in games like Ori, Psychonauts 2, Sifu, Kena, It Takes Two, UbiArt, and Square AA games. The industry needs more focused games and design.
AA games of known franchises would also be pretty good. Experimental spin offs would usually lead to pretty cool games, such as MK Shaolin monks, Sonic Riders, several Mario games, and so on.

The problem is that to a lot of people, graphics is of utmost importance, especially in established franchises. "Oh, this doesn't have ultra realistic motion capture cutscenes? Garbage game".

Punished Miku

Gold Member
MS will have a good show. Nintendo will almost surely do something.

Couldn't give less of a shit about Summer Ad Fest. You can catch up on trailers for it in 20 min once its done.

KXVXII9X

AA games of known franchises would also be pretty good. Experimental spin offs would usually lead to pretty cool games, such as MK Shaolin monks, Sonic Riders, several Mario games, and so on.

The problem is that to a lot of people, graphics is of utmost importance, especially in established franchises. "Oh, this doesn't have ultra realistic motion capture cutscenes? Garbage game".
I love my cutscenes and "movie" games. I think Sifu did it masterfully while keeping a stylized look that to this day has me obsessed. It looks better and clearer to me than ultra realistic graphics, while also running MUCH better performance wise. Same thing with Psychonauts 2. Lots of cutscenes and wonderful animations, but the visual style is fresh while being more efficient. I also love game spinoffs! I usually prefer the Pokemon Spinoffs more and think spinoffs are a great way to keep an ongoing franchise fresh.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
As per usual, souls fanboys have to mention their crap in every thread regardless of context.
We get it, playing a hard game is your only achievement in life, there's no need to make that more clear in every topic.
I’m not a souls fanboy, it’s not my only achievement in life and I don’t make that clear in every topic, but thanks.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
You really only need 5 (major ): shows PC gaming, Sony, Nintendo,, Microsoft and Devolver Digital. (Maybe EA and Ubisoft)

Everyone else can be a 2nd tier presence in one of the aforementioned shows.

What will really be missed is that show floor. Like I said, Treehouse live is the best thing about "E3"

supernova8

Banned
geoff telling everyone to lower their expectations for his show is never a good sign

He didn't actually say that right? Sounds more like he said "third parties won't do their own showcases, they will just put their games in MY show instead".

In other words, blowing his own trumpet and trying to hype up his own show... as usual.

police turkey GIF by South Park

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
PS4/XBO - $70-$100 million.
PS5/XBX - $100-$150 million.

I don’t know how long this trend can continue. I love graphics and technology but at this stage I’d take PS4/XBO level visuals with larger Worlds and much better physics systems over 5-7 year development cycles.

Reactions: K2D

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's going to be another mobile game commercial shitfest, innit. Oh and cringe ass Facebook ideology preaching.

Lethal01

Talk about a jack all answer. 1) There's a middle ground between an indie game at a couple of 100k budgets, and today's AAA titles.
Yes, tons of indie games with a couple million dollars in budget, the middle ground is filled.. with indie games.

K2D

Banned
Missing the point:

Yes, tons of indie games with a couple million dollars in budget, the middle ground is filled.. with indie games.
Invest in a Playdate then!

Exactly my point:

I don’t know how long this trend can continue. I love graphics and technology but at this stage I’d take PS4/XBO level visuals with larger Worlds and much better physics systems over 5-7 year development cycles.

WolfusFh

I love my cutscenes and "movie" games. I think Sifu did it masterfully while keeping a stylized look that to this day has me obsessed. It looks better and clearer to me than ultra realistic graphics, while also running MUCH better performance wise. Same thing with Psychonauts 2. Lots of cutscenes and wonderful animations, but the visual style is fresh while being more efficient. I also love game spinoffs! I usually prefer the Pokemon Spinoffs more and think spinoffs are a great way to keep an ongoing franchise fresh.
Yeah, I love the art style in Sifu as well. I always preferred stylized art over realistic graphics. Sure, for some games, the realistic style fits much better. But it stopped being impressive a long time ago. And I never really saw it as a necessity in every game.

I agree, spinoffs keep the series alive, and it might even improve them in certain ways, since you can have other gameplay styles in the same series without alienating the older fans. There are also great possibilities to expand the story and lore of the franchise. It's the thing I miss the most from the "PS2 era". A lot of experimental spin offs back then.

sobaka770

Banned
I remember when MS or Sony exec said that the problem with game releases will be worse post-pandemic rather than during as the pipeline still existed. Now seeing it in practive - those teams working separately at home during Covid obviously can't deliver as they used to. Ubisoft is barren, EA as well, Activision is merging with Microsoft and dealing with Scandals. This may be the most barren year for major releases yet, most of them still multiplatform delays - kind of like 2014 when fucking Dragon Age Inquisition was GotY.

Oh well, at least I may actually get to catch up on Cyberpunk and play through Witcher 3 again. Who needs new stuff anyway?

0SnBs7i.jpg

Ehlmg0y.jpg

I want to go back to when graphics budgets were constrained, and gameplay/art style/music/writing was king.

Take the graph with a grain of salt

I might be talking out of my ass, but it seems like this rate is starting to show its cracks. It looks like the Gauss bell has peaked, if the eagerness and sprints for selling and consolidation by the big players such as EA and Activision is anything to go by.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I know this is probably meant to be a joke but damn, I never thought about it really too deeply.

My favourite events are normally Obsidian, Bethesda and Blizzard, and now I just remembered why I bought an Xbox. Would be real neat to actually get some games from those companies though. 😂

The only third party devs I probably care about now are Ubisoft, who will probably be sold soon, Capcom and Square.
Nice. When did you get your Xbox?

BlueHawk

Neo Member
Nice. When did you get your Xbox?
Think it was a week after the PS5 launch. I bought them both and got a bit disappointed tbh, apart from load times and Play room being awesome on the controller it was a bit of a meh experience personally, but thankfully indie games have been refreshing and Mobile gaming has leaped so fast it seems too for graphics

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Think it was a week after the PS5 launch. I bought them both and got a bit disappointed tbh, apart from load times and Play room being awesome on the controller it was a bit of a meh experience personally, but thankfully indie games have been refreshing and Mobile gaming has leaped so fast it seems too for graphics
Oh I thought you got a Xbox recently because of your comment in another thread 🤔

My favourite events are normally Obsidian, Bethesda and Blizzard, and now I just remembered why I bought an Xbox

DICE did that and created Mirrors Edge

EA has an initiative to fund small projects that gave us A Way Out, Unravel, It Takes Two

Ubisoft also did this with Valiant Hearts, Child of Light, Rayman Origins/Legends

With the success of It Takes Two, hopefuly there will be more
Ubisoft has completely stopped doing those types of games. Mirror's Edge was how long ago? EA puts one game out every 2 years like this.
Hardly a monsoon of AA games coming from a major publishers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom