• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George R.R. Martin flew to New York to 'beg' an HBO executive to make 'Game of Thrones' 10 seasons long, according to his agent

Punished Miku

Gold Member
This sounds like damage control prior to the release of the new HBO show. I'd be happy to see another decent GoT show though, so hopefully they can figure out what they did to shit the bed.

Anyone with any kind of brain though should have realized that the proposed timeline for Season 8 was completely unacceptable. To hype up the great war with the White Walkers, the second battle for humanity since the Age of Heroes, the war that makes all the previous wars seem like childsplay, - to have that resolve in literally 1 episode is completely ridiculous. You literally should have had a slow campaign of constant losses and bravery, and maybe you know .... winter? Like, a whole season of winter at a minimum. And they not only cut it down to 1 season, but literally made it a short season as well.

One of the worst calls of all time.

A new book titled "Tinderbox: HBO's Ruthless Pursuit of New Frontiers" by the journalist James Andrew Miller includes one key financial detail about the first abandoned "Game of Thrones" prequel series. An executive working for the company at the time said HBO spent $30 million on a pilot episode for a show that isn't expected to ever see the light of day.

Bob Greenblatt, the former chairman of WarnerMedia entertainment, was interviewed for the book and told Miller about how he came into the conversation after showrunner Jane Goldman's pilot for a prequel was already in production.

"They had spent over $30 million on a 'Game of Thrones' prequel pilot that was in production when I got there," Greenblatt said. "And when I saw a cut of it in a few months after I arrived, I said to Casey, 'This just doesn't work and I don't think it delivers on the promise of the original series.' And he didn't disagree, which actually was a relief."

The "Casey" he's referring to here is Casey Bloys, HBO's chief content officer and one of the executives who helped oversee all things "Game of Thrones" at the end of its run.

"So we unfortunately decided to pull the plug on it," Greenblatt continued. "There was enormous pressure to get it right and I don't think that would have worked."

HBO didn't immediately respond to Insider's request for comment on Greenblatt's comments about the canceled pilot.

Last edited:

Onlinepromo

Neo Member
In general, an excellent film, and simply cool and well-staged and well-shot, and the actors are just movie stars. I really adore action-packed TV shows with a brutal development of events and a critical storyline, since only in them you can get strong emotions and an adrenaline rush. I watched the series Game of thrones in full and I liked it, they write that in 2022 other films of the same subject will be released, I'm waiting for their release.

WFairfax89

Neo Member
I can still believe that we have some chances to read The Winds of Winter, but Dreams of Spring will definitely never be written and published, given his speed of work on the book and his age.

Kenpachii

he's old morbid obese, its simple those books will never arrive. And i doubt he gives a shit either.

Last edited:
Top Bottom