• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George R. R. Martin hopes to finish Winds of Winter this year

DKehoe

i find it weird in all cases where people think the output of another is owed to them, be they individuals or corporations regardless of promises made, road maps, delivery dates, relationships, whatever

the fat and lazy might die stuff is at a level worse than that, reeks of entitlement or quotas, false declarations of ownership
Recently I’ve wondered if the rise of franchises, where people have become accustomed to getting new entries on a regular schedule, has led to this. It seems like there’s been a shift towards people expecting art to cater towards their own specific tastes rather than being an expression of its creator. People didn’t like the Game of Thrones finale, understandably so I wasn’t a fan of it myself, but rather than just move on a million people signed a petition demanding they shoot a new version. A similar thing happened with the Star Wars sequels. People feel like they should get exactly what they want and that they should get it now.

Tesseract

Banned
Recently I’ve wondered if the rise of franchises, where people have become accustomed to getting new entries on a regular schedule, has led to this. It seems like there’s been a shift towards people expecting art to cater towards their own specific tastes rather than being an expression of its creator. People didn’t like the Game of Thrones finale, understandably so I wasn’t a fan of it myself, but rather than just move on a million people signed a petition demanding they shoot a new version. A similar thing happened with the Star Wars sequels. People feel like they should get exactly what they want and that they should get it now.
in a lot of cases it's because people want the material to match or correspond to wayward paths taken in the course or state of an individual's life

choice and identity, to some extent also buyer's remorse insofar as cognitive dissonance applies to medium material consumed yet uncompleted

tldr invested people grow entitled and resentful, which is fine up to the point where it antagonizes the creator over the creative process

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I gave up on "Feast for crows" what 15 years ago? after numerous delays.
I got some déjà vu haha.
And yes the books and TV series are different entities and I plan on reading the books again to remove the abortion taste in my mouth season 8 has left me.

What happens to the shitty 8th season of the show? Is it canon? Is it how Martin wrote it? Or he didn't write it yet?

Not very knowledgeable of the books, i just want to know if the original author is OK with the show ending the way it did.
He already made comments about how the books will go a different route.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Did GRRM ever say how many books he plans to have in the series. Do we know if this is going to be the last one or not? I assumed it wasn’t but then I realized I don’t know why I thought that and maybe it is going to be the last one.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Did GRRM ever say how many books he plans to have in the series. Do we know if this is going to be the last one or not? I assumed it wasn’t but then I realized I don’t know why I thought that and maybe it is going to be the last one.

No its supposed to be this one and one more after

He wanted to split the last one into two books so 3 at the most.

DESTROYA

Animated GIF

bitbydeath

guys, any fantasy books as good as this? honest question, no world ever pulled me as much as the GoT world but i gave up on it ever be finished a long time a go
I’m writing a series which I think is the best I’ve ever read. But I’m obviously bias since it’s my own work.

bitbydeath

What happens to the shitty 8th season of the show? Is it canon? Is it how Martin wrote it? Or he didn't write it yet?

Not very knowledgeable of the books, i just want to know if the original author is OK with the show ending the way it did.
It’s not written, some parts may be still right but the journey on how they reach those points will be completely different.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Two more.

-The Winds of Winter
-A Dream of Spring

Lunarorbit

What a limp boner. If he was honest with himself or fans I'd have some respect for him. Just say your old and tired of writing these books.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.

The Kingkiller Chronicle books are excellent.
Rothfuss is a GRRM wannabe.

just like GRRM it's been ~10 years since his last book and still no idea when it's coming. also he kinda looks like a young GRRM:

dc53bf77157e2c25edfa6a3002d8a4f6.jpg
Rf82a27157d58a8d5e6d62c0a4b59eb2b

i honestly have no time nor respect for people who can't finish what they started. as much as GRRM pisses me off at least he seems to be trying. Rothfuss just doesn't give a shit.

Last edited:

T8SC

Wrote hundreds & hundreds of pages & still has hundreds to write?

So either this book is going to be 1500 pages long, or hes done no writing over the past few years.

Rothfuss is a GRRM wannabe.

just like GRRM it's been ~10 years since his last book and still no idea when it's coming. also he kinda looks like a young GRRM:

dc53bf77157e2c25edfa6a3002d8a4f6.jpg
Rf82a27157d58a8d5e6d62c0a4b59eb2b

i honestly have no time nor respect for people who can't finish what they started. as much as GRRM pisses me off at least he seems to be trying. Rothfuss just doesn't give a shit.

I know haha. I haven't even read Rothfuss's books but find the situations similarly entertaining. They don't owe anyone anything but like I said at least come out and say they lost the fire or whatever they wrote doesn't live up to their standards or at the very least in GRRM's case a simple, "It's done when it's done." and stop posting worthless updates every year. I think people would generally respect that.

GRRM's biggest mistake was to stop listening to his editors. The last two books are bloated and meandering bores.

Yoboman

Jesus

He wrote "hundreds and hundreds" of pages and has hundreds more to go?

If hundreds is 200, then hundreds and hundreds would be ~400. And he still has ~200 to go?

We also know he had apparently 200 pages written in 2012.

So if its a 1000 page book then he has really only done about 200 pages between 2013 and 2020 if we are being generous. More likely he basically did nothing in that time

What a joke

Last edited:

John2290

Lmao, it's been a decade. Even if he finishes it and hasn't already put work into the future books to get his ducks in a row in WoW... he ain't getting it done. The man wants nothing more than to work in the limelight on his other projects, the more glamorous stuff for TV and what not. He doesn't care about legacy or the books and who can blame him, he's probably living like a king and all his dreams are playing out. It's a pity but I'm sure he'll choose someone competent enough to tie it up in a bow when he kicks it.

Ionian

'A Feast for Crows' was such a let down after the previous books. 'A Dance with Dragons' was a meandering mess and boring as well.

He basically spent more time introducing new (boring) characters and padding the books out whilst refusing input from his editor. Sheer vanity.

And no conclusion to major characters in either, just more cliff-hangers. At least the first 3 had things happen at the end.

Jon Snow gets stabbed, even reading i then it was so bloody obvious he'd be back. Seriously doubt anyone believed he'd stay dead.

If the book does come out I'm skipping past his descriptions of whatever shit they're eating for pages and pages. He probably lost pages from shorting his computer drooling on his word processor.

Last edited:

TheContact

is this guy trying to push out a shit that's too big for his asshole or write a book? you're "hopeful?". god damn.

Top Bottom