• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George R.R. Martin Signs Five-Year Deal with HBO

Jon Neu

Banned
Varys and Littlefinger I thought were well done enough.

desmayo.gif

Varys and Littlefinger were transformed into brain dead characters devoid of the intelligence that made them great in the first place and made the game of thrones so interesting. Tyrion was also dumbed down to ridiculous levels (I still get nightmares with that last one Tyrion speech about Bran).

The first 5 seasons make the last 2 look like crap, but I was still entertained and it didn't "Ruin" the entire show for me.

The 2 last seasons were the most dumbest shit ever, it's not a matter of comparison, it's just that they are complete trash, they are Pompeii movie level of quality, just with better CGI.

Is so tragic to have a show so incredibly well written and smart as was Game Of Thrones in the first seasons, to transform into cookie-cutter run of the mill Hollywood trash and ending up it's characters arcs and plots in the most dumbest and poorest executed way possible.

Those 2 last seasons absolutely ruined the entire show legacy and still to this day breaks my heart how badly they fuck it up.

Rick and Morty summed it up really well:

mewu8c2bkeiz.png

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
desmayo.gif

Varys and Littlefinger were transformed into brain dead characters devoid of the intelligence that made them great in the first place and made the game of thrones so interesting. Tyrion was also dumbed down to ridiculous levels (I still get nightmares with that last one Tyrion speech about Bran).

The 2 last seasons were the most dumbest shit ever, it's not a matter of comparison, it's just that they are complete trash, they are Pompeii movie level of quality, just with better CGI.

Is so tragic to have a show so incredibly well written and smart as was Game Of Thrones in the first seasons, to transform into cookie-cutter run of the mill Hollywood trash and ending up it's characters arcs and plots in the most dumbest and poorest executed way possible.

Those 2 last seasons absolutely ruined the entire show legacy and still to this day breaks my heart how badly they fuck it up.

Rick and Morty summed it up really well:

mewu8c2bkeiz.png

Y'all are so dramatic lol

DKehoe

Gold Member
Tyrion was also dumbed down to ridiculous levels (I still get nightmares with that last one Tyrion speech about Bran).
The show didn't want to have Tyrion take the turn into being a villain like he is going to in the books. The loveable "I drink and I know things" guy is too much of a marketable fan favourite for them so they've always sanded down his rough edges from the books. So when the show reached the end game they didn't know what to do with him because he didn't go on the descent he's on in the books.

Jon Neu

Banned
The show didn't want to have Tyrion take the turn into being a villain like he is going to in the books. The loveable "I drink and I know things" guy is too much of a marketable fan favourite for them so they've always sanded down his rough edges from the books. So when the show reached the end game they didn't know what to do with him because he didn't go on the descent he's on in the books.

Not only they didn't know what to do with the characters, but they simply didn't have any talent at all to write something of quality to make those characters justice. The script and the dialogues in the last two seasons are so bad they look like something a 12 years old kid would improvise on the fly.

They had 2 years to do the last season, they could have easily brought some actual writers to do the script and the dialogues, but instead they left it all in the hands of D&D, who are good at adapting, but they are complete amateurs when it comes to writing themselves.

I'm sure there are profesional writers out there who can mimic the GRRM style and write something decent in 6 months, but they just let everything in the hands of a couple of hacks.

perkelson

This sad fat fuck even finished anything in last 10 years ?

When South Park run "dragons are coming" meme we thought he would finish it in next 2-3 years...

Valonquar

It was funny how GRRM stayed reeeeealy neutral & supportive while the show was still in production \ airing, and now he's comfortable throwing it under the bus... while simultaneously making additional shows & contracts with HBO.

Would you massacre thousands of people due to your anger? Because if so, I know an ideology that would be perfect for you...

Well she also saved millions of people from getting massacred. Net net she was a benefit for society. Lots of leaders have tough decisions to make on whether it’s worth sacrificing 100s or thousands of people to save millions. She saved the majority

Westeros would be in a better place for most people with Dany. Don’t think Bran will be useful at all

Ionian

Well she also saved millions of people from getting massacred. Net net she was a benefit for society. Lots of leaders have tough decisions to make on whether it’s worth sacrificing 100s or thousands of people to save millions. She saved the majority

Westeros would be in a better place for most people with Dany. Don’t think Bran will be useful at all

Meh, she abandoned Mereen after freeing the slaves, for them all to undoubtedly get enslaved again.

Then went to burn a city of citizens who were innocent because she lost her temper.

She was never meant to be good, that is the entire point of her character,

Meh, she abandoned Mereen after freeing the slaves, for them all to undoubtedly get enslaved again.

Then went to burn a city of citizens who were innocent because she lost her temper.

She was never meant to be good, that is the entire point of her character,

Only undoubtedly because Dany was killed. If she was alive she would have had a role in making sure they wouldn’t get enslaved again. She could probably just fly with her dragon there.

The point is she lost her temper for justifiable reasons. She gave up everything, her children, to save millions but the people were ungrateful. Sometimes you have to take drastic measures to get your point across and I believe Dany would’ve been a better leader long term and Westeros would’ve been a safer place with her.

Maybe the intention was that she was never meant to be good, but the show/writers did a very poor job portraying it. You can actually sympathize and understand why she did what she did. It was her against the world at that point, just because she wasn’t “fit” to be queen deemed by the lame citizens who were going to end up as fodder anyways had she not stepped in. She sacrificed her dragons to literally save everyone, including her enemies, and all she got was betrayal and excuses for why she shouldn’t be queen in the end? And the guy who was the most useless became king? Dany’s killing was not justified, they didn’t do it to save the masses, they did it to save the existing power structure and nobility. Bran, Sansa...really? They’re better than Dany?

Last edited:

BlueAlpaca

The point is she lost her temper for justifiable reasons. She gave up everything, her children, to save millions but the people were ungrateful.

Why would the people be grateful for some entitled lunatic bringing dothrakis and dragons and slaughtering her way to the throne? Why would her rule be any different than Cersei? Her tax policy? :p She's just another dictator. Maybe one who could be less of a tyrant than Cersei but you have to be one to rule Westeros - it's not like it's a parliamentary democracy.

Ionian

Is that the horse that appears to Arya after she somehow survives the long night, the night king and the destruction of king's landing?

iB7vZgiuFWwE3lFNL5x4.gif

So poetic.

'You might be wondering how I GOT here'.

Queue the GOT theme.

(shit, just wrote him another book)

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
I think in the books the Danny's twist it's going to be far better executed and the themes of how absolute power, a messiah complex and war can corrupt even the most docile and well meaning heart are going to be more coherent. That, and the Targaryen madness curse of which Dany always wanted to distance herself from.

And Bran becoming king it's obviously going to be a much more supernatural & revealing moment, probably with a twisted meaning behind it.

Top Bottom