• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George R.R. Martin Signs Five-Year Deal with HBO

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
The 'Game of Thrones' author strikes a long-term deal with HBO worth mid-eight figures.

14621103lpw-14621531-article-jpg_5196382.jpg

George R.R. Martin is founding a new content kingdom at HBO.

The Game of Thrones author just signed a massive overall deal to develop more programming for the network and its streaming service, HBO Max.
The deal represents an effort from HBO to continue the momentum of Game of Thrones, the network's most popular and most-award-winningseries of all time.
Though it's unclear how many, if any, of Martin's projects will be connected to Game of Thrones, HBO has positioned the writer in a leading creative role to create more original content and help expand the network's streaming foothold through HBO Max.
Sources say Martin's contract spans five years and is worth mid-eight figures.

Last edited:
HBO is embracing wokeness like crazy. The shows are going to be a complete clusterfuck.

You know nothing, Jon Neu. Have you even watched Game of Thrones bro? The amount of rape is more triggering than hiring a woke actor or whatever it is they're doing. It's pretty fucking clear the backlash they got for allowing those cunts to shorten the last season and bail, honestly what other major TV show got this amount of shit? Take my money. And maybe finish the last two books or something.

Jon Neu

Banned
You know nothing, Jon Neu. Have you even watched Game of Thrones bro? The amount of rape is more triggering than hiring a woke actor or whatever it is they're doing. It's pretty fucking clear the backlash they got for allowing those cunts to shorten the last season and bail, honestly what other major TV show got this amount of shit? Take my money. And maybe finish the last two books or something.

They are hiring black actors to portray people who should be literally white and blonde by the plot. And that thing called Bloodmoon that got terminated was literally the story of black people opressed by the white people of westeros.

They don't give a crap about the source material, they just want to ride on the success and taint everything with the woke message. And that's obviously a recipe for an absolute shitshow.

Game of Thrones still has momentum?

Sadly, no.

Last edited:
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
HBO is embracing wokeness like crazy. The shows are going to be a complete clusterfuck.
tumblr_msg8fpocpT1sg5ptmo1_400.gif

Where? What shows?

I've been watching most of their newer original content and mini-series. They still have everything that would get you mega-cancelled on any other network.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Jon Neu Jon Neu I saw that second post of yours. I don't care about behind the scenes work. I care about what actually hits the screen. Again, which recent HBO shows have been neutered and 'woken up'? Give me actual shows that are out to prove your word, not behind the scenes talk.

Valonquar

So I guess they will just phone in some Wild Cards shows that will be nearly as good, but not quite as Umbrella Academy or The Boys.

Jon Neu

Banned
Jon Neu Jon Neu I saw that second post of yours. I don't care about behind the scenes work. I care about what actually hits the screen. Again, which recent HBO shows have been neutered and 'woken up'? Give me actual shows that are out to prove your word, not behind the scenes talk.

It's not behind the scenes talk, it's literally what that show was about before it got terminated.

And obviously, choosing a black actor to portray a character that has to be white literally for plot reasons, already tells you that they go wokeness over plot.

Hatemachine

Banned
Bro, wow is taking literally 20 years to come out. Imagine the the last book, dream of spring?

I genuinely believe rr martin wont make it till then. The man is 72.

No fucking way. I know its grim, but its simple fucking math.
I mean it's getting to the point where I don't even think it would be possible for him to finish it. His stories probably have 500 different characters in them. At an unhealthy age 72 when it's been 10 years since his last book, there's no way in his mind he can keep this shit straight.

If the dude couldn't get shit together during the last year when everything was shut down, there's just no chance of it happening.

Last edited:

Ionian

Don't know why he bothered. Not like he's strapped for cash. Anything to avoid writing the book most likely.

He's an old dude now with no children so not like he'll be passing the wealth on.

OneMoreDay

Neo Member
Game of Thrones still has momentum?
I imagine most people will tell you no, but it kinda has. When a spin-off premieres, some million people across the world are sure to tune in simply because it's Game of Thrones. GoT's last couple of seasons can be compared to the Star Wars prequel trilogy. It's a clusterfuck, but it didn't prevent the franchise from staying immensely profitable.

Yoboman

Sadly the Game of Thrones went the way of Lost and The Matrix. Horrible written endings completely negated in the interest I had in the series. And unlike Star Wars I just can't ignore the episodes I hated.
I feel like a new book could actually reinvigorate a lot of interest when people recognise how different it is from the show

Ionian

ASOIAF was going downhill after 'A Storm of Swords'. Last two books were atrocious filler (For me at least).

Can't wait for GRR to start writing about pub carvery menus though. (Again).

Imagine he was your server, you'd die from starvation while he described the menu.

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
ASOIAF was going downhill after 'A Storm of Swords'. Last two books were atrocious filler (For me at least).

Can't wait for GRR to start writing about pub carvery menus though. (Again).

Imagine he was your server, you'd die from starvation while he described the menu.
I’d be more worried about him nibbling at my food on the trip to the table

Yoboman

#RestoreTheRRMartinCut

In all seriousness they need to redo the final two seasons.
I would be down for it if the final book was imminent. It’ll be another 10 years until the series is wrapped up if we are being generous

They could just get GRRM to manufacture a time skip for the last few seasons and follow from there I guess

The real issue though is that they completely left out entire massive plot points though so they’d really have to redo the whole thing

Last edited:

Ionian

I would be down for it if the final book was imminent. It’ll be another 10 years until the series is wrapped up if we are being generous

They could just get GRRM to manufacture a time skip for the last few seasons and follow from there I guess

He was going to do that before and cancelled the idea. Hence re-writing the last two books.

2 books are left. Dude got his millions, doesn't seem to care. Was posting on his journal about self isolating in a cabin due to COVID to write the next one.

That was years into writing it.

First link that came up, was on his blog though.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
lol we’re never getting winds are we?

I bought the books in 2014 thinking i wouldn’t have time to catch up before the next one comes out. still waiting for him to finish the story.

Alright

Banned
#RestoreTheRRMartinCut

In all seriousness they need to redo the final two seasons.
Just the last one. Season 7 was all set-up, and I think it worked as a jumping point for a major battle and to tie up loose ends.

Season 8 was so bad that Got went from my favourite show, maybe ever, to a show I wouldn't watch if you paid me.

Jon Neu

Banned
Screw all the haters.

Those first 5 seasons were fucking awesome TV. When's the last show to produce 5 seasons of S tier material?

That's because they just had to adapt the books to be awesome.

What are they going to adapt now? The Targaryen books are more like history books, they don't have much dialogue (hence HBO will had to invent the dialogue and we all know how that went), then we have the Dunk & Egg books, which are very good, but they are short and small in scale.

Top Bottom