• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George R.R. Martin Signs Five-Year Deal with HBO

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
It's not behind the scenes talk, it's literally what that show was about before it got terminated.

And obviously, choosing a black actor to portray a character that has to be white literally for plot reasons, already tells you that they go wokeness over plot.

If it's not on TV, it doesn't matter to me.

If it never made it to the network that qualifies as behind the scenes talk. Again, don't care about that. I've seen the shows they've been putting out. In two different shows HBO put out certain characters almost had sex with a corpse and in one of them the person beat the person to death beforehand and then considered it. Again, this is shit you won't find on other networks except maybe Netflix when they're bold enough.

When the wokeness you speak of actually happens on screen, then we can talk. Until then you're speaking nonsense, rumors, and hearsay.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon Neu

Banned
If it's not on TV, it doesn't matter to me.

If it never made it to the network that qualifies as behind the scenes talk. Again, don't care about that. I've seen the shows they've been putting out. In two different shows HBO put out certain characters almost had sex with a corpse and in one of them the person beat the person to death beforehand and then considered it. Again, this is shit you won't find on other networks except maybe Netflix when they're bold enough.

When the wokeness you speak of actually happens on screen, then we can talk. Until then you're speaking nonsense, rumors, and hearsay.

It doesn't matter that you want to ignore it no matter what, the reality is that those shows were greenlighted under those extreme woke premises and with that woke casting.

The House Of The Dragon is set to premiere next year and you have a black actor playing Corlys Velaryon, a character that has to be white literally by plot reasons, yet they don't care because wokeness is more important than being faithful to the source material.

Furlong

Banned
I don't see the point of signing a 5-year-deal with someone who looks like he is ready to drop any day now.

Jon Neu

Banned
If somebody wanted to pay me 8 figures to not write books I'd probably jump at it.

He is filthy rich already, how much more money is he gonna need in his graveyard?

A Song Of Ice And Fire it's his legacy, the thing he is going to be remembered for after he dies. If he doesn't finish it, it's going to be a failure on his name for the eternity.

And I'm sure he knows that and he is scared to death of not finishing the series or even worse, finish it but doing it badly. I'm sure he doesn't want anything else but perfection for his magnus opus, this is his Lord Of The Rings and the pressure has to be asphyxiating.

But all this diversions he is constantly in are just him running away from the pressure, but time is running out.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I don't see the point of signing a 5-year-deal with someone who looks like he is ready to drop any day now.

That's because you haven't read the fine print of the contract. If you think his obligation ends upon death you're probably not thinking. I'm sure his estate will still be obligated in some way in that eventuality.

Additionally if you think a talent that can make you a lot of money might be dying in the next oh, say, decade, then it probably makes sense to spend the money up front to get primary access to his remaining output. FWIW, GRRM is a limited resource and HBO just cornered the market.

Javthusiast

Banned
I have zero interest in any of the spin off shows. And by this point it's clear he will never move his fucking ass and finish the books, he is too busy rather doing anything else than that.

Spaceman292

Banned
They are hiring black actors to portray people who should be literally white and blonde by the plot. And that thing called Bloodmoon that got terminated was literally the story of black people opressed by the white people of westeros.

They don't give a crap about the source material, they just want to ride on the success and taint everything with the woke message. And that's obviously a recipe for an absolute shitshow.

Sadly, no.
Oh no! N-not...BLaCK pEoPLE!!! :O

Are you actually a maniac?

Ballthyrm

Why won't people just leave him alone. Be it producers or Fans.
Just let the man write his books, it was all going well with covid forcing him to stay at home and write.

Ionian

Why won't people just leave him alone. Be it producers or Fans.
Just let the man write his books, it was all going well with covid forcing him to stay at home and write.

Sure was (I assume you were joking but if not);

Ql0Sp3T.jpg

EDIT: the one with Elio and Linda was 2014? Bloody hell, didn't realise it was that long ago.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

Finish the damn book George!!!

Seriously though, I don't think he cares anymore. Writing the series has to be extremely taxing on him so getting a sweet deal from HBO seems to be a great consolation prize for not finishing it. I really doubt we'll ever see the end to ASOIAF in print.

Cool this will probably make them a ton of money. I know everyone acts like GOT is done for but people will be all over this anyways.

down 2 orth

You don’t even believe that so we will ignore it.

It's one thing for regular people to dislike something, and it's another for critics to dislike it. Most critics are tuned into the Marxist cult stuff, so when they see a champion of the people turning into an awful human being due to her irrepressible anger, they know where the criticism is being directed (hint: wokeism, i.e. Marxism). It wasn't a great season, but you should know that the hate for it isn't entirely from the grass roots level either.

Jon Neu

Banned
Shame they got a carribean actor instead of a middle eastern actor like in the source material.

I didn't knew Bristol was in the carrrribean.

Also, the actor, even for a british with some carrrribean heritage, looks perfectly in line of what an habitant of Essos and the descendants of the Old Ghis could look like. You obviously should know that before running your mouth about middle easterns but I guess you just don't care that much about the source material.

See? You can put people of color in your adaptation without them being a token political whim while respecting the source material at the same time. It's not that hard, actually; you just have to value the source material and the story over your narcissistic virtue signalling needs.

Liar

Banned
I have maybe one, or two complaints about TV show, but for me it was a great series with beginning, and the end.

Don't care about books.

99Luffy

Banned
I didn't knew Bristol was in the carrrribean.

Also, the actor, even for a british with some carrrribean heritage, looks perfectly in line of what an habitant of Essos and the descendants of the Old Ghis could look like. You obviously should know that before running your mouth about middle easterns but I guess you just don't care that much about the source material.

See? You can put people of color in your adaptation without them being a token political whim while respecting the source material at the same time. It's not that hard, actually; you just have to value the source material and the story over your narcissistic virtue signalling needs.
Naw. They need to be middle eastern as most of the eastern setting in the book is clearly based on the old Ottoman Empire and Babylon. Get your woke ass out of here trying to race bend the characters.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I wouldn't say no to that offer if I was George.

However, if I was George I'd also make finishing ASOIAF my number one priority. I started reading the series in 2000 when I was 15 years old. At this rate, I could be in my mid 40s by the time ADOS is finally released.

Valonquar

They can't do a GRRM season 8. They would have start further back than that. No Lady Stoneheart takes you back to at least season 6. Even season 1 could do with a makeover to be honest. The horselords didn't even have horses that season, they spent all the budget on titty or something.

Yoda

What a waste of money. Franchise went from a centerpiece of our culture to irrelevance. Would've served them better to wait and see if the final 2 books were truly worth the wait or if he was a one hit wonder with respect to the quality of books 1 - 3.

It's one thing for regular people to dislike something, and it's another for critics to dislike it. Most critics are tuned into the Marxist cult stuff, so when they see a champion of the people turning into an awful human being due to her irrepressible anger, they know where the criticism is being directed (hint: wokeism, i.e. Marxism). It wasn't a great season, but you should know that the hate for it isn't entirely from the grass roots level either.

Danny’s “irrepressible anger” is pretty weak. Let’s see...she sacrificed one of her dragons to save the bums in the north, Jon Snow was fucking around especially and had he just got on, the dragon wouldn’t have had to die. Dany was also the most impactful/responsible for stopping the white walkers (this is only one of her great feats). She then also stopped Cersei who no one wanted to be Queen and has done much worse for Westeros.

And what does she get for thanks? Most bum north randomly turn on her cause she isn’t fit to be queen? She was forced to watch her best friend die by Cersei after indirectly helping her and the rest of the bums. And then in the end, the most useless character of all Bran was chosen to be king? After all of Bran’s buildup he literally did nothing to help the cause.

I’d be angry too and I think many can sympathize with Dany and the random BS she had to face

Last edited:
Good that they fired the directors, who demonstrated to the entire world that they had no clue what they were doing, and just hired him.

He can write them any number of treatments and they can milk "from the creator of GOT" for the next 50 years.

It is a shame more studios don't invest in writers. Yeah this guy is a celeb but at least he will probably come up with something better than a rando HBO exec. At least GRRM has decades of genre writing experience.

Jon Neu

Banned
Naw. They need to be middle eastern as most of the eastern setting in the book is clearly based on the old Ottoman Empire and Babylon. Get your woke ass out of here trying to race bend the characters.
No, the Ghiscaris aren't based on the Ottoman Empire, but at this point is obvious you don't care about the source material to begin with. The continent of Essos is also a huge amalgam of cultures and races both based in real life or fantasy but the decendents of the Old Ghis are literally described as a mongrel race.

But you are exactly like the people who change the race of a character for political reasons ignoring the fact that in this case the plot literally needs for that character to be the way he is. It's not a case of "doesn't matter that the little mermaid is now black, that doesn't change anything you racist!!", because this is one of those few cases in which the appearence and the race of the character is the entire raison d'être of that character and his house.

Oh, by the way, this is how someone from the middle east looks like in the real world.

mohamed-zidan-04.jpg

fcfbef8b003575e1cdac43dd39741ad6b123ee07r1-532-800v2_00.jpg

I see some resemblance, but I don't have my glasses on at the moment.

But maybe I'm just so racist all non white people looks the same to me!

Last edited:

down 2 orth

Danny’s “irrepressible anger” is pretty weak. Let’s see...she sacrificed one of her dragons to save the bums in the north, Jon Snow was fucking around especially and had he just got on, the dragon wouldn’t have had to die. Dany was also the most impactful/responsible for stopping the white walkers (this is only one of her great feats). She then also stopped Cersei who no one wanted to be Queen and has done much worse for Westeros.

And what does she get for thanks? Most bum north randomly turn on her cause she isn’t fit to be queen? She was forced to watch her best friend die by Cersei after indirectly helping her and the rest of the bums. And then in the end, the most useless character of all Bran was chosen to be king? After all of Bran’s buildup he literally did nothing to help the cause.

I’d be angry too and I think many can sympathize with Dany and the random BS she had to face

Would you massacre thousands of people due to your anger? Because if so, I know an ideology that would be perfect for you...

Ionian

Dany cracked and Targarygen madness was known due to inbreeding.

Still an awful episode though, looked cool but the rush in the episodes took any gravity from it.

Fucks John Snow, obliterates the kingdom she wants to rule after liberating others to prevent the same.

Just too rushed, no amount of money thrown at it would have helped the dire writing. Most of it is visual and the death of the Night King was laughable.

Bran being king was especially funny as he didn't use his powers. What an easy job for an actor. His character got to sit and look bored and be paid.

I’ve always wanted to buy the books but he’ll never finish them now. I think we could get the winds of winter but no waaay will we be getting the final book. I’m not wasting my time reading all the books to have the story unfinished. as crap as the final few seasons of the show were at least they managed to end it. I think many people gave up on the books and lost interest when the show wrapped up. It will be interesting to see how the book differs from the show if we ever get it.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
What is even the point of this forum posting anything about any TV Show/Movie getting greenlit? It just turns into bitching about "wokeness" lol

Maybe a containment/mega-thread is in order, so people can discuss entertainment here w/o your political nonsense.

DKehoe

Gold Member
What is even the point of this forum posting anything about any TV Show/Movie getting greenlit? It just turns into bitching about "wokeness" lol

Maybe a containment/mega-thread is in order, so people can discuss entertainment here w/o your political nonsense.
For some people the culture war is everything. They don't realise most people don't care about it.

IntentionalPun

For some people the culture war is everything. They don't realise most people don't care about it.

Just hate that this place is the inverse of the purple site... totally fine to discuss, but should be in it's own thread IMO in Politics.

And agreed.. I just don't give a shit.. give me a show w/ black dudes raping white women or give me a show where every character is a black trans woman saving the world from whites... just make it entertaining.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
Danny getting mad was actually one of the very few scenes I would save from that season. It could have been executed better, but still it's a great twist for the savior/messiah character to actually be the final villain and end up so corrupted by power, revenge, delusions and the Targaryen madness.

Everything else around her character was atrociously bad that season, though. But that happened to almost literally every character: they utterly butchered Varys, Littlefinger (the previous season), Tyrion, Jon Snow, Bran, the Night King, Euron, Sansa, Arya...

All the characters that were once cool and brilliantly written, turned into shit pretty quickly.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
Were never going to see the end of the books are we.

At this point, best case scenario is having WoW released in 2022/23, then another Dunk & Egg novella and then will have some unfinished manuscripts of A Time For Wolv... I meaaaan... A Dream Of Spring.

Ionian

Danny getting mad was actually one of the very few scenes I would save from that season. It could have been executed better, but still it's a great twist for the savior/messiah character to actually be the final villain and end up so corrupted by power, revenge, delusions and the Targaryen madness.

Everything else around her character was atrociously bad that season, though. But that happened to almost literally every character: they utterly butchered Varys, Littlefinger (the previous season), Tyrion, Jon Snow, Bran, the Night King, Euron, Sansa, Arya...

All the characters that were once cool and brilliantly written, turned into shit pretty quickly.

Varys and Littlefinger I thought were well done enough. Both death scenes I think paid off but were extremely corny.

Tyrion kept telling Dany not to do things, Jon Snow did a masterful last season of walking around looking confused (again). Sansa and Euron were nothing characters as they never did anything. Arya could have been great after training with the faceless men but nope, teleports out of nowhere and kills the Night King. She didn't even take a face during the attack.

Theon if anything was one of the better ones but that dude can act. He nailed that role.

Should have had the Night King being revealed as Sean Bean all along before he was killed again. At least that would have been hilarious.

IntentionalPun

The first 5 seasons make the last 2 look like crap, but I was still entertained and it didn't "Ruin" the entire show for me.

On a re-watch I just am less likely to finish, but it's still one of the greatest shows ever.

Hopefully Benioff and Weiss are too busy w/ Netflix to touch any new content and GRRM is heavily involved in writing any new series.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
5 years? So that would be mid 8 figures for him to write a teaser trailer at his current pace.

Top Bottom