• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George RR Martin's latest blog post has broken me.

Never read the books. I'm still waiting on Pat Rothfuss.

I care 1000x more about the final Kingkiller book being finished than I ever will about Game of Thrones. GOT was the second series I read after coming back to books behind the Witcher so it will always have a place in my heart but it's not that amazing a story. Maybe my memories and love for the thing are tarnished by the series but I really couldn't care all that much anymore I do not trust that the books will be finished.

ikbalCO

Isn't him being late actually a good thing?

him revising and rewriting mean we may be getting a vastly different ending than the show imo which i whole heartidly support.

Hope there is nothing in common between the shows end and the books end so that we get a remake if the last season with the same cast.

Glad none of the cast got too big to refuse a remake huh :)

FunkMiller

The extent to which he doesn't seem to care about finishing it is truly bizarre. I'd be itching to get it done with.

He is such a talented prose writer.

I don't think it's because he doesn't care.

It's because he can't do it, but doesn't want to admit it to anyone.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Isn't him being late actually a good thing?

him revising and rewriting mean we may be getting a vastly different ending than the show imo which i whole heartidly support.

Hope there is nothing in common between the shows end and the books end so that we get a remake if the last season with the same cast.

Glad none of the cast got too big to refuse a remake huh :)

He's already said the ending of ASOIAF will different to how the show ended. Which makes sense considering some very major characters (Lady Stoneheart and "Young Griff" for example) never made it into the show.

I also refuse to believe the books will end with "Bran the broken". That was so fucking dumb.

Ionian

They should end with Daenerys ruling as one and true queen.

Lady Stoneheart on the throne with the white walkers as her army. Could hook her up with the Night King and together they slay everyone, ravage the lands.

A few people survive, hence why the last book is called "A Dream of Spring".

Then Penny and Tyrion save the day but everyone is dead. It's up to them to repopulate with the help of the children of the forrest.

Last edited:

Komatsu

We will get Winds of Winder and A Dream of Spring. If not by his hand, then by someone else the publisher Bantam Spectra (Random House) will deputize to do so.

And when it comes out, it will sell gangbusters. As a fan of 20 years, I am as frustrated with the show as anyone else, but let’s not pretend that “nobody cares anymore”. The moment TWOW hits the shelves, it will be one of the top 10 fantasy novel releases of all time. I wouldn’t be surprised it topples the last Potter book off its perch.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Fighting down my Wheel of Time PTSD from Robert Jordan dying right before the last books

10 years to write 75% of one book, another full book to go...74 year old morbidly obese man...It's going to happen again, isn't it...

Ionian

We will get Winds of Winder and A Dream of Spring. If not by his hand, then by someone else the publisher Bantam Spectra (Random House) will deputize to do so.

And when it comes out, it will sell gangbusters. As a fan of 20 years, I am as frustrated with the show as anyone else, but let’s not pretend that “nobody cares anymore”. The moment TWOW hits the shelves, it will be one of the top 10 fantasy novel releases of all time. I wouldn’t be surprised it topples the last Potter book off its perch.

He's said no but I imagine there will be loads of fan versions, with fans settling on one. Then it will be over.

There's no way it comes from him. Personally, I don't even care, have long lost hope.

Be hilarious if they got D&D to do it. Fans would lose their minds. Would be a true epic ending.

EDIT: Oh and his books went to shite after the 3rd, 'A Storm of Swords', so could be a blessing in disguise.

Last edited:
He's said no but I imagine there will be loads of fan versions, with fans settling on one. Then it will be over.

There's no way it comes from him. Personally, I don't even care, have long lost hope.

Be hilarious if they got D&D to do it. Fans would lose their minds. Would be a true epic ending.

EDIT: Oh and his books went to shite after the 3rd, 'A Storm of Swords', so could be a blessing in disguise.
If he doesn’t do it I’m not interested. In such a case it would no longer be a man’s artistic vision. Its committee storytelling.

The books went downhill but are still better than 99% of fantasy.

Last edited:

Ionian

If he doesn’t do it I’m not interested. In such a case it would no longer be a man’s artistic vision. Its committee storytelling.

The books went downhill but are still better than 99% of fantasy.

Ah i'm the same, not sure i'm even bothered if he does. I'm curious sure but I'm not wetting myself in anticipation after the last 2 books. Only good thing about the TV shows ending was at least we got one.

Komatsu

I mean, he can say whatever he wants, but he is contracted by Penguin Random House - the largest publishing conglomerate in the world - to deliver 7 books and if he can't, they'll eventually convince his estate to accept someone else.

Ionian

I mean, he can say whatever he wants, but he is contracted by Penguin Random House - the largest publishing conglomerate in the world - to deliver 7 books and if he can't, they'll eventually convince his estate to accept someone else.

Ah no doubt, depends on the contract though. No one knows the contract and as he says himself, "words are wind".

Just not The Winds of Winter ;)

Ionian

Imagine Elio and Linda take over, I could see that happening. Two hugely unlikable people, they were involved with the book the new series is based on. They helped write it (danger right there).

Elio seems chill but Linda used to go absolutely mental about new fans for the TV show. They're credited for helping him write the book the new show is based on. (uh-oh).

That's his backup. Jesus Christ. Elio even refused to watch the show (GOT) and she did the reviews after episodes on her own. She was vicious but for the smallest of things. Toxic couple but she wears the trousers.

They felt entitled as they were PURE fans. George let them write the cannon. It's his fault.

I wish I was joking. His laziness is real. Just look at any review they did for the GOT show.

If you don't want to, they're toxic and purists. Just rant and rant. No wonder it fell off the tracks with them involved but GRRM never dialed them in. That's how lazy he got.

EDIT: oh if you went to their website at the time and disagreed. Insta-ban. I never did, just laughed at the people that tried. Yup, that's the guys that helped him write the book on the new series. This is fact, they talked about it and appear in the credits for it.

So about these new books ... it's why I always laugh. He has those cunts helping him write. They're manically protective of the story. No one will ever write knew books he said. Well those cunts wrote the last one this new TV show is based on.

Last edited:
He's already said the ending of ASOIAF will different to how the show ended. Which makes sense considering some very major characters (Lady Stoneheart and "Young Griff" for example) never made it into the show.

I also refuse to believe the books will end with "Bran the broken". That was so fucking dumb.

I hope he kill off Daenerys since it would piss off the Feminazis

I read the books and I remember Daenerys becoming like her previous ancestors was always heavily hinted at. I would be pissed if he changed the ending to the series due to some rabid crazy feminazis

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
I've been a fan of A Song of Ice and Fire since I picked up the series in 2000. Although incomplete, it's one of my favourite fantasy series and I'd class Storm of Swords as one of the best fantasy novels to ever grace my eyes. For this reason, I've always defended George RR Martin's writing pace. I'd always say "you can't rush art". How wrong I was.

Judging by Mr Martin's latest blog we're all going be waiting a lot, lot longer. Here is part of his blog post, but the full post is linked below.

I know, I know, for many of you out there, only one of those projects matters.

I am sorry for you. They ALL matter to me.

Yes, of course I am still working on THE WINDS OF WINTER. I have stated that a hundred times in a hundred venues, having to restate it endlessly is just wearisome. I made a lot of progress on WINDS in 2020, and less in 2021… but “less” is not “none.”

The world of Westeros, the world of A SONG OF ICE & FIRE, is my number one priority, and will remain so until the story is told. But Westeros has become bigger than THE WINDS OF WINTER, or even A SONG OF ICE & FIRE. In addition to WINDS, I also need to deliver the second volume of Archmaester Gyldayn’s history, FIRE & BLOOD. (Thinking of calling that one BLOOD & FIRE, rather than just F&B, Vol 2). Got a couple hundred pages of that one written, but there’s still a long way to go. I need to write more of the Dunk & Egg novellas, tell the rest of their stories, especially since there’s a television series about them in development. There’s a lavish coffee table book coming later this year, an illustrated, condensed version of FIRE & BLOOD done with Elio Garcia and Linda Antonsson (my partners on THE WORLD OF ICE AND FIRE), and my Fevre River art director, Raya Golden. And another book after that, a Who’s Who in Westeros. And that’s just the books.

The man then goes onto list all these Game of Thrones spin off shows he's working with HBO, plus other shows that aren't HBO related.

I know. George is his own boss and he can work on what he wants when he wants. True, but he needs to stop dangling the fucking carrot in front of our faces.

The writing history for Winds is bizarre. In 2016 he put out a blog post which he apologised to his fans for missing a deadline. He explained that he thought he could meet a deadline for October 2015 to hand in Winds, which would get it published before the new season of GoT. He failed to meet this deadline, but if he thought he could hit it then surely it was close to completion?

Anyway, he then went on to say that Winds was his number 1 project. He gave fans hope by declaring he would not be writing anything, no teleplays, screenplays, short stories, introductions or forewords before delivering The Winds of Winter....which of course was bullshit.

2017 he said he hoped it'd be out that year, then later in the year he said its actually still "months" away.

2019 he said that fans could lock him up on a volcanic island if he didn't have the book ready by the time WorldCon 2020.

And it just goes on. Every year George dangles that carrot and injects me with hope and I'm just sick of believing his BS.

He just needs to be honest and say he's fallen out of love with ASOIAF and he'd rather make easy money writing 1000 different HBO shows. Then I can be honest and say I'm truly done with the series, which is something I thought I'd never say.

The writing process is mysterious. Something happened along the way..he lost his muse, he can't find the inspiration to finish cultivation of that book. Who knows but I doubt he set out to purposefully deceive you.

Last edited:

IDKFA

The writing process is mysterious. Something happened along the way..he lost his muse, he can't find the inspiration to finish cultivation of that book. Who knows but I doubt he set out to purposefully deceive you.

No, I doubt he purposely deceived anyone. It's just a case that he wants to enjoy his new found fame and take on as many projects as possible. That, and not only have the books become more complex, but every year that goes by adds the pressure of delivering a stellar novel.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
He did not deceive, but it’s obvious he doesn’t have the discipline to focus and also prioritise.

IDKFA

The man himself getting roasted. Absolute gold.

Although, I cannot believe he still has 500 pages to go. At this rate it'll take him another 5 years at least to finish the book, or maybe this public roasting will inspire him to get it finished within months.

or maybe this public roasting will inspire him to get it finished within months.
there-there-broom.gif

Top Bottom