• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Germany hate crime: Nearly 10 attacks a day on migrants in 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nearly 10 attacks were made on migrants in Germany every day in 2016, the interior ministry says.

A total of 560 people were injured in the violence, including 43 children.

Three-quarters of the attacks targeted migrants outside of their accommodation, while nearly 1,000 attacks were on housing.

Eloc.jpg

◾3,533 attacks on migrants and asylum hostels in 2016
◾2.545 attacks on individual migrants
◾560 people injured, including 43 children
◾988 attacks on housing (slightly fewer than in 2015)
◾217 attacks on refugee organisations and volunteers

MP Ulla Jelpke from the leftist Die Linke party said that the government was too focused on a perceived security threat from migrants while the real threat was coming from the far right.

"Do people have to die before the rightwing violence is considered a central domestic security problem and makes it to the top of the national policy agenda?" she said, quoted by the Funke media group.

"Nazis are threatening refugees and therefore our democracy"

More in the link
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39096833

Had no idea about the situation in Germany. Probably a small number overall but I can see how some asylum seekers might question if they're much safer.

Had no idea about the situation in Germany. Probably a small number overall but I can see how some asylum seekers might question if they're much safer.

Unfortunately Germany also has its share of racist idiots :/ Good thing seems to be that no one has died from those attacks apparently?

Lucumo

Unfortunately Germany also has its share of racist idiots :/ Good thing seems to be that no one has died from those attacks apparently?

It doesn't say what constitutes as an "attack". Could be two idiotic groups insulting each other, leading to a brawl. Happens often enough.
Also, the article has a clickbaity title and includes dumb statements.

Sir TapTap

Christ, I thought Germany was one of the more sane ones on this issue.

...Hell, maybe they still are. I never stop being surprised at how awful humans are these days.

Pretty bad and barebones article ..

how is "attack" defined?
Do these attacks include the attacks of migrants against migrants? There were a lot of brawls in refugee centers ..

Prelude

...Hell, maybe they still are. I never stop being surprised at how awful humans are these days.

It has been like that for centuries. Now you can know immediately because of the technology

Idiots everywhere. Hope nobody gets hurt and the amount will go down.

A part of humanity has always been awful, but it used to be a lot worse. You don't even have to go back more then a few decades for that.

KDR_11k

The various security agencies didn't really take neonazi violence very seriously until the NSU murders were uncovered. Of course it doesn't help that a lot of police and judicial staff have sympathies with the neonazis, especially in the east where the denazification wasn't as effective. But even in the west there are plenty of those people left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom