• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Get an Xbox Series S for 149.99! (Verizon required)

TLZ

Banned
No Way Thinking GIF

222€ with no strings attached was a great deal here, but I guess that is even better (for anyway verizon customers at least). MS either has ordered way too many and wants to get rid of stock, and will have to balance it differently with XSX in the future, or they actually don't care as long as they get you to subscribe to GP and losing some money is fully part of the plan. Crazy that this price is under used prices of PS4s and pretty much what is asked for used One Ss.

Lunarorbit

I think you change your avatar more than anyone on the site. My wife is threatening to call my bluff and just have 2 pound kitties at the house when I get off work.

I got Verizon. I've threatened to get a Xbox s for bc. I don't know how much time I would dedicate to another machine but this price is ridiculous.

It's cheaper than the snes when it came out (yeah yeah inflation)

WoodyStare

$150 is a steal. I already have a Series X/PS5 in the living-room and a One X in the bedroom, but the difference in speed and features between the One X and Series S is enough to justify the purchase. I’ll use the One X mostly as a 4K player now.

You have to be part of a program no one uses that Verizon has been trying to get more people to use to lock customers into their services. That's just another deal to try and get them in, Verizon is probably paying $100 themselves to give you that price.

It's not wide spread as most Series S are still $249-$299. That $150 is to attempt to increase more participation in the rewards program. In fact, they made it so if you are a new customer you're automatically enrolled.

I doubt they have many units for this program as most are still selling at normal price. Unless Verizion wants to lost a boatload of cash paying to reduce the Series S price.

FqH0gHJaUAIZGHy

These gaming outlets like Gamespot are doing more marketing for this deal than Verizon is likely a limited supply which explains the March 31st deadline, they probably aren't expecting many to rush for this deal, just a few new and existing customers that may use the program because of this deal.

It's still a pretty great price if you can get it. You can only get one though.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Why can’t this work for Verizon Fios customers??

Edit: Some of you are nuts. Even as a box just to play Xbox 360 games like Radiant Silvergun, Guardian Heroes, Blue Dragon, Asura’s Wrath, etc it’d be cool to have for $149.

Last edited:
I'm not going to say this is an indictment on the Series S as a whole, since it's only for Verizon locations. But I'm guessing the program they already had going for the system was not doing too hot, so they're looking to boost numbers with this aggressive sales promotion.

Now the question is, will we be seeing this with other locations? As that would be a better look into just how much of these systems are (or aren't) moving relative to demand.

If this was £150 in the UK, I'd buy one for my mum to use as an entertainment unit for mother's Day and show her how to use the device lol

Ironically that's what I feel MS should have done in the first place with a cheaper unit: make it a streaming-centric box for Game Pass and multimedia. They could have scaled back on hardware (smaller GPU, smaller & slower CPU, less RAM, smaller storage, less I/O ports etc.) and probably sold it for $150 at launch. Pair it with a controller and a universal remote.

I think their numbers on the lower-powered SKU side would be a lot better and they'd avoid a lot of the development complications that the ecosystem seems to be seeing among more 3P games due to mandating native Series S versions but, that is a bit of another topic.

Last edited:

yazenov

Going by Ms's Xbox one playbook, there will be promotions and fire sales for the Xbox Series quite frequently since the stock is plentiful and they are collecting dust at retails. I guess they don't have a choice since they lack content and units arent going to move by themselves.

Devaluing your product by constant promotions 101.

Going by Ms's Xbox one playbook, there will be promotions and fire sales for the Xbox Series quite frequently since the stock is plentiful and they are collecting dust at retails. I guess they don't have a choice since they lack content and units arent going to move by themselves.

Devaluing your product by constant promotions 101.
Lol salty. Xbox game pass is legitimately the best deal in gaming right now and this year we are getting Age of empires, Forza, Red fall, star field and more. Xbox series s at 150 dollars is a great deal especially if you just want to play the xbox console exclusive games.

How many of you have verizon? I'm using their verizon 5g home internet, but thinking about using their cell phone plan as well. I can get their cell phone plan bundled for 25 dollars a month which will save me about 30 dollars a month.

I grabbed this. I don’t know why. Haha. Since the series suck is going to hold back Xbox games anyway, I might as well go with this and get the occasional month of gamepass.

Holy fuck, that is insane value.

All you need is a 2TB ext HDD + 3 years XBL Gold to GP trick + an extra controller if you really need it + Panasonic Eneloops rechargeable AA batteries and you're set for the next 3 years of Xbox 1st party and all gamepass games + new 3rd party big gamepass gets.

El Muerto

Even if you aren't invested in the Xbox ecosystem, it'll make a great streamer at that price compared to Apple TV, just grab a universal remote as the console has IR. There are also way more apps for Xbox than there are on PlayStation, and you get a full fledged chromium browser capable of running Geforce now.

danklord

Gold Member
Not a bad deal, but the incentives will get better. They should be giving these away with the purchase of a 1-year Gamepass subscription.

Last edited:
Top Bottom