• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Get an Xbox Series S for 149.99! (Verizon required)

jhjfss

I don't know. No one wants more supply of shitposts, but they just keep showing up.
Pop Tv Burn GIF by Schitt's Creek

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Remember Verizon offering that payment plan for a Series S? Well, I’m guessing it was a huge flop and now they’re unloading them.

Astray

Gold Member
222€ with no strings attached was a great deal here, but I guess that is even better (for anyway verizon customers at least). MS either has ordered way too many and wants to get rid of stock, and will have to balance it differently with XSX in the future, or they actually don't care as long as they get you to subscribe to GP and losing some money is fully part of the plan. Crazy that this price is under used prices of PS4s and pretty much what is asked for used One Ss.
Basically retailers have way too much Series S stock on their hands and they want to reduce those levels before ordering any new stock.

I grabbed this. I don’t know why. Haha. Since the series suck is going to hold back Xbox games anyway, I might as well go with this and get the occasional month of gamepass.

Can you explain to me what exactly do you need to be eligable for this...you just sign up for free for some reward program, you don't actually need to buy anything and you get 50% off on XsX.

Poor Series S demand also lends itself to poor demand for GamePass.

If they can't get people to drop down 240 just to get access to these games... people aren't that interested. This means they're approaching a ceiling on GamePass subscriptions.

I'd love to know their strategy to offload 7.2+ million Xbox Series S units. That's not a trifling amount. It's nearly as many units as the Dreamcast sold.

Ironic that the Series S is selling for less than a Dreamcast in September 2020 adjusted for inflation.

I wonder how long until they drop the price to 200 and if they do, if they ultimately discontinue the Series S. Or if they'll stand at 240 and just clear the warehouses over time.

apparently the answer was 3 days

RyanEvans21

Even if you aren't invested in the Xbox ecosystem, it'll make a great streamer at that price compared to Apple TV, just grab a universal remote as the console has IR. There are also way more apps for Xbox than there are on PlayStation, and you get a full fledged chromium browser capable of running Geforce now.

Or just buy Nvidia shield?

Can you explain to me what exactly do you need to be eligable for this...you just sign up for free for some reward program, you don't actually need to buy anything and you get 50% off on XsX.
I’m a Verizon wireless customer, I’ve been meaning to switch to a pre-paid cheaper option but haven’t yet.

I just opened the my Verizon app and claimed this promotion which gives you a unique promo code.

Hopefully they'll be $99 on Black Friday, at that price I would get it just for watching streaming movies and Xbox 360 backwards compatibility.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
You should clarify that it is Verizon Wireless Only, not FIOS which is actually a product that helps you use your console.

skit_data

Something something hotcakes

Seems to be a lot of inventory to get rid of, hopefully it may suggest that Xbox are getting ready to launch a model revision. Would be a pretty sweet deal of they made a Series S with some more RAM and larger storage that could reliably run stuff at 1080p, same 60fps/30fps options as Series X and no cutbacks in RT for $299.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

Just did the damn thing. It'll be the first time since 2003 I'll have played an Xbox. Tried halo once and liked it back then. Game pass here I come

Lunarorbit

Got my S last week when I was away.

Actually only played 2 minutes of hi fi rush and about 10 of kitchen simulator so far (kitchen simulator was slow as molasses and clunky).

Just used it to watch sandman, shadow and bone, and the mandolorian so far.

Lots of good looking games. As a sony/Nintendo guy who had legit only played the og Halo for 30 minutes 20 years ago as his only experience I'll excited to play Fable actually.

Like the noises it makes too. When turning on the system it has that little chirp sound like a Switch does when you click the joycons in. And when the home screen starts it has a rising crescendo like psx did when you pressed power.

I fucking miss that Playstation sound. Smart of MS to tap into those audio memories if that's what they did, at least intentionally

Nah. It's saving a bit of money to get yourself a shitter version of something. You're just hitting yourself in the face in the long run.

I gave up buying 'value' stuff years ago, whether it's food, TV's, or gimped console hardware.

mrmustard

Banned
That's a steal. I really would consider selling PS5 + XSX and getting a pc + XSS if i could get a S for that price.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Hell of a price for a current generation console, and arguably the most powerful emulation machine price-for-price.
At $300, the price per tflops ratio was the worst out of all four next gen consoles at $75 per tflop. At $150, it's $38 per tflop, and even better than the PS5 Digital which is $40 per tflop.

Just goes to show how poor the performance per dollar value was for this console at launch. Shouldve been priced at $200 max or shipped with a 6 or 8 tflops GPU at $299. It runs native 4k xsx games at 1080p with worse settings, thats 1/4 the performance, shouldve been 1/4th the price. $150 is perfect for this console.

I grabbed it just to get an occasional month of gamepass here or there. PS5 and Switch will still get most of my playtime. So far the only thing I hate is the UI. This UI looks and feels like it's meant for a touch screen tablet to me.

Ozriel

M$FT
At $300, the price per tflops ratio was the worst out of all four next gen consoles at $75 per tflop. At $150, it's $38 per tflop, and even better than the PS5 Digital which is $40 per tflop.

Just goes to show how poor the performance per dollar value was for this console at launch. Shouldve been priced at $200 max or shipped with a 6 or 8 tflops GPU at $299. It runs native 4k xsx games at 1080p with worse settings, thats 1/4 the performance, shouldve been 1/4th the price. $150 is perfect for this console.

I certainly thought the leaks were bullshit when i heard it was going to be 4TF.
They really should have shot for 6TF minimum and at least similar VRAM setup as the One X.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I certainly thought the leaks were bullshit when i heard it was going to be 4TF.
They really should have shot for 6TF minimum and at least similar VRAM setup as the One X.

Fall 2024 - Series SSS. Trade in your existing Series S and get an upgrade for just $50. 6.4TF. 12GB RAM. Optional BR drive add-on.

boom.

Top Bottom