• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima Director Provides New Update on Upcoming Movie

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Speaking to IGN in a recent interview, Stahelski said that he and the team working on Ghost of Tsushima are trying their best to make sure that it closely resembles the source material. Stahelski even acknowledged that many video game movies in the past haven't turned out well, and he definitely doesn't want that to be the case with Ghost of Tsushima. "We just want to do it right. You know how video game adaptions can go. So we're taking our time and doing it right," he explained. "We're working very closely with the game developers to make sure we stick to what's great about it."

Stahelski went on to explain that at this point in time, Ghost of Tsushima is still in the process of having its script written. Furthermore, he didn't commit to any specific actors being involved with the movie. When asked if Daisuke Tsuji, who portrayed the main protagonist, Jin Sakai, in the video game could potentially come back in the movie, Stahelski said that they still haven't gotten far enough into this process to begin making casting decisions.

tommib

Kurosawa is dead. I wish them all the best but I doubt they'll find a proper director for this kind of material. The game is so good and zen and no-nonsense. They'll pull a Disney and turn this into a shallow action-flick like Mulan. Hopefully I'm very wrong.

Kurosawa is dead. I wish them all the best but I doubt they'll find a proper director for this kind of material. The game is so good and zen and no-nonsense. They'll pull a Disney and turn this into a shallow action-flick like Mulan. Hopefully I'm very wrong.

This is one of those things that just don’t work….like uncharted, it was supposed to be the big blockbuster Indiana jones/national treasure of gaming, then they turn it into a movie and its just another dumb action movie.

Same thing will happen here. It’s an ode to Kurosawa, now anything they do film wise is gonna feel like a cheap knock off, especially if its in english. The closest thing to Kurosawa was 13 assassins, they should get that director.

Stahelski is a great action director. But a historical period piece with large scale battles is a new challenge for him. And everyone would have to be Japanese and hopefully not be speaking English.

It has potential but is definitely not a sure thing yet. It will be hard to convince the audience that someone transitioned from samurai to ninja in 2 hrs. I thought that transition and the training was rushed even in the game.

And sad truth but in terms of the characters and the story, its not actually that great in the game. The game shined for its combat, natural beauty and graphics.

Zeroing

Banned
Chris Pratt as Jin Sakai confirmed.
As long as I can see his butt I can’t complain… lol

But seriously now, I hope they focus more on the story and have action set pieces that are well made! You do not need a movie that revolves around action non stop.

Knowing Hollywood I am sure they will mess it up! Tarantino would be a good choice since he knows how to mesh action with good storytelling!

What’s interesting is movies in Hollywood are becoming more gamey like and games are becoming more like art.

Ignore me I need my coffee I barely waken up.

Zeroing

Banned

The film adaptation of Sucker Punch’s action adventure game will be written by Takashi Doscher, Deadline reports.

Doscher previously wrote and directed sci-fi romance Only, starring Freida Pinto and Leslie Odom Jr, thriller Still, starring Madeline Brewer, and the ESPN documentary A Fighting Chance.
Hmm there’s a change the movie might be good!

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Speaking to Collider, Chad Stahelski (John Wick: Chapter 4) claimed he had the full support of Sony to make the Tsushima movie as authentic as possible, and shared his own personal love of Japanese culture.

“I think if we did this right, it would be visually stunning. It’s character driven. It’s got an opportunity for great action, great looks. And honestly, we’d to try to do it, all in character,” he said.

“Meaning, it’s a Japanese thing about the Mongols invading Tsushima island. A complete Japanese cast, in Japanese. Sony is so on board with backing us on that.”

He added: “I’ve been going to Japan since I was 16. I have a love of the country, love of the people, love of the language. To try to direct not only in my language, but someone else’s and culturally shift my mindset to bring apart that in a cool way that still entices a Western audience.”

Further discussing the movie adaptation, Stahelski said: “Honestly, it’s probably the same things that would scare the shit out of most people.

“It’s a fantasy period piece. It’s done with reverence to Akira Kurosawa, who’s probably in the top five biggest influences of my life as far as film goes.

“It’s a chance to push technology and people in a story that’s timeless. It’s your typical mythological story of good versus evil, finding a man, watching him change the world or the world changes him. It’s all the Joseph Campbell stuff that you’d love in a story.

“You put that in with, obviously, so I’m told I have a bit of a Samurai fetish, which is probably true from Manga and anime and stuff.”

EruditeHobo

The story for this game is nothing special at all... they can surely improve it on that front.

Getting a good experienced director is half the battle here, so can tick that box. I look forward to checking it out.

jaysius

Banned
This would be far better suited to a show instead, movie format will end up squeezing the small parts that help flesh out the big picture and stifle character development.

Its cool that Sony are trying to bridge the gap here, but they’re misstepping easy parts here.

Neilg

This would be far better suited to a show instead,
I agree, a big budget HBO 12 hour saga would be ideal.
2 hours flat isn't enough for this story (as in the mongol invasion and personal journey they'll be taking from the game) and I fear Sony isn't bold enough to let this be over 3 hours.

Don't get me wrong, a tight samurai action movie made by the director of John wick is almost certainly going to be a good movie, but it's not really in the same tone and vibe the game was going for.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Don’t forget they’ll probably make Jin useless and Yuna the super awesome tough character that saves Jin and the day

jaysius

Banned
I don't know, this is the director of John Wick. Nothing too woke in those movies I think?

Yuna is already pretty badass in the game though, so.
John Wick 1 was amazing the rest are overly long borefests that outstay their welcome and overuse the same stunts. The first one was fresh and stylish, the first one was made by 2 people one of them left clearly that guy was the sensible one that knew how much of something was too much. John Wick now has retarded anime sensibilities that don’t fit the movies. By the end of the 2nd one where essentially everyone on earth(when they activated that dumb protoco) or nearly half the people it seeemed were assassins it really made John Wick seems less special. In the first one he was a trained killer, that was skillful and somewhat lucky, in the other 2 he’s practically a shitty DC or Marvel hero.

John Wick 1 is a masterclass in balance, it’s a 5 star meal perfectly seasoned, the others are low rent buffets that think the more food the better, and because the 1st one used say a little sage they thought the others needed way too much of it, ruining what the original set up.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Speaking in a new interview with Total Film, Stahelski made clear that tackling the Ghost of Tsushima movie is the next thing that he would personally love to do the most after John Wick: Chapter 4. Unfortunately, Stahelski stated that the movie itself might not be ready to enter production just yet as there are still business matters behind the scenes that need to be taken care of. Stahelski went on to hype up the movie quite a bit, but there are still things happening outside of his own control that might keep him from fully committing to its creation just yet.

"[Ghost of Tsushima] would be my favorite to do next. Without going into crazy detail, it's something I'm super interested in," Stahelski said. "We have a really great script. We have a really good creative team behind it. It's just about getting all the business end of things locked in. It's kind of in that little bit of flux where everybody is trying to tighten up the deal to get everything going, and to make sure we do the best with it. It's a simple thing: getting a great script, and starting to put together a cast. It just takes a lot of moving parts."

I think they have a pretty strong template for the story here. I think they just need strong Japanese actors and good cinematography and choreography.

The choreography is what is going to set this apart. Kurosawa but with modern choreography and cinematography.

I'd love for Sucker Punch to take a Yojimbo for a spin ala Way of the Samurai. There is so much you can do after GoT2.

Top Bottom