• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima legends is not new player friendly..

BreakOut

OK so I’m sure this is not an across-the-board thing. I’ve met people that were cool and walked me through elements of the raid 1 in Ghost of Tsushima. But it’s an issue that I run into so often that it can’t be ignored. In any sort of difficult legends gameplay mode people bail within the first five seconds of the group if they don’t like some thing about it. Sometimes even in the middle of a nightmare survival. So this complaint really comes from the fact that I’m on raid 2 and I cannot get a group to save my life. I don’t have any friends who are playing the game and are high enough to go in with me. I get in and I hop on my mic and I let everyone know I’ve never done the raid because people expect you to know things, I watched a video to try to get as much down as I could in advance but still having never done it before I need some tolerance and a little patience. I have yet to even get through the first platforming section without someone leaving immediately after learning that I’m new to the raid. I’ve queued up and joined into like 10 different games of this. But it’s not just raid 2.. Any of the nightmare missions will have almost consistent games with people leaving. Now I understand leaving during the raid if the classes just don’t match up, I understand that completely. And I also don’t want to force people to be in a raid if they don’t want to help a new person. It’s long I’ve heard and I get it. But it’s too often.
Mostly I’m just blown away that the matchmaking for the raid is not better. It would be so simple to put an option in for yes I’m a new player. That way you would match you up with people who are new to the raid or people who didn’t mind if you were new to the raid.

TLDR: I want to do Raid 2 and I’m pissed I can’t get into a group.

MaKTaiL

You are trying to do Raids with matchmaking, of course you are having a hard time. You need to find other players on Discord, etc that are willing to communicate and cooperate. The Raid, specially part 2, is incredibly reliant on communication. You just can't run with randoms.

Bartski

Gold Member
GoT: Legends is the most positive experience I've ever had with multiplayer in my life and I love to play with new people that need some help, especially Raids.

Too bad you watched the video, best thing you can do is find a team just like you figure it all out as you go, there are people constantly looking for teams being very upfront about it on Discord.
All the people I play with on a semi-regular basis I met this way via random matchmaking. First time Raid 2 took us over 5 hours, we had no clue what we're doing and it was amazing.

Yes, quit-outs are a problem as there is no penalty except for no score/loot. On Raid that's when you get matched with assholes that just expect you to speedrun the thing flawlessly with zero patience. But that's a thing on Raid 3 which has the highest honor per minute score.

Quit-outs on Nightmare Survival are the worst, those are the semi-experienced that think they're hot shit but won't even try in a squad without 2 Ronins as that is somehow doomed to fail.
Edit: or people who are there after a cosmetic for a specific task, like all bonus objectives. But then you can use the fill team menu to define what is that you're after before you begin matchmaking. It will match you with people who want more or less the same (for ex. raid + all chests) and will put you all in the lobby so you can talk things through.

Anyway, try Discord (looking for Raid channel). Or ping me one evening (CEST) at PSN: BMSvonSKW, since the update last Friday I play the game most of my free time.

Last edited:

BreakOut

GoT: Legends is the most positive experience I've ever had with multiplayer in my life and I love to play with new people that need some help, especially Raids.

Too bad you watched the video, best thing you can do is find a team just like you figure it all out as you go, there are people constantly looking for teams being very upfront about it on Discord.
All the people I play with on a semi-regular basis I met this way via random matchmaking. First time Raid 2 took us over 5 hours, we had no clue what we're doing and it was amazing.

Yes, quit-outs are a problem as there is no penalty except for no score/loot. On Raid that's when you get matched with assholes that just expect you to speedrun the thing flawlessly with zero patience. But that's a thing on Raid 3 which has the highest honor per minute score.

Quit-outs on Nightmare Survival are the worst, those are the semi-experienced that think they're hot shit but won't even try in a squad without 2 Ronins as that is somehow doomed to fail.
Edit: or people who are there after a cosmetic for a specific task, like all bonus objectives. But then you can use the fill team menu to define what is that you're after before you begin matchmaking. It will match you with people who want more or less the same (for ex. raid + all chests) and will put you all in the lobby so you can talk things through.

Anyway, try Discord (looking for Raid channel). Or ping me one evening (CEST) at PSN: BMSvonSKW, since the update last Friday I play the game most of my free time.
Just finished it yeah, discord is where I went. Had no idea there was a community. Took almost 2 hours.. so nuts

trikster40

I got lucky and got in a group of really cool people who put up with my inexperience and we plowed through all 3 raids. I still can’t believe this DLC was free.

Kerotan

I was new to the game this year and I thought the community was great. Most team mates were good and I ended up doing the raid with a friend and 2 randoms.

BreakOut

What’s the point of the Raids? Really cool, exclusive loot or something?
For me it’s just fun. Honestly I feel like I’ve got everything gear wise for my Ronan. I don’t even know if I work on another class. But I just didn’t like the idea of not having something finished after putting so much work into it. And I really wanted to see what happened in the story.

BreakOut

I was new to the game this year and I thought the community was great. Most team mates were good and I ended up doing the raid with a friend and 2 randoms.
After going on discord it seems like most people are solid. We still had someone who got pissed off in the middle of the raid because someone else fell during the platforming and left. But we were able to pull another person in. But it is something that happens a lot. People I was with confirmed it as well. It seems like there’s a lot of salt. But we finished it in just an 1hour 46 minutes. I think it’s just finding the right people. And now that I’ve completed it I don’t think I could do it without people being on the microphones which is what matchmaking was doing.

I do still think having an option to put that you are new on matchmaking would probably make a difference. I’ve got a friend that doesn’t even play anymore because people have messaged him telling him how much he sucks and shit afterwards. So just like with anything the community isn’t perfect.

Maybe dont tell people you're new?

Just hop on and fuck shit up. I'm sure no one would know the difference if you're kicking ass while with them.

Or, idk, do we still do Gaf discord and meet up online to play games together?

It used to be a thing here, but it's nonexistent now from what I can tell o.o

killatopak

Gold Member
Online will always be a mixed experience no matter what game you play as that is the nature of humans. Even offline lan in the day was mixed if you’re with a new group.

Play with someone you know or at least find a dedicated group to maximize the experience.

Bartski

Gold Member
Maybe dont tell people you're new?

Just hop on and fuck shit up. I'm sure no one would know the difference if you're kicking ass while with them.
Unless you know it inside out - a Raid level requires a lot of very coordinated effort between 4 people, it's a multi-stage traversal and combat puzzle. A lot of that is on a timer and is very easy to fail if even one person doesn't play his role right. So for beginners voice chat is essential. More experienced players usually play micless, which is totally possible just by using pings and shouts but somehow expect everyone to handle that and it sucks.
I agree, "I'm new" or "speedrun" options in the Fill Party menu would help a lot.

Top Bottom