• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima promises to be the Japanese Assassin's Creed fans never got

cormack12

Gold Member
mod edit: split out from other GoT thread as new article with new insight

HYPE!!

Source: https://www.cbr.com/ghost-tsushima-assassins-creed-should-have-been/

Although not yet released, the action-adventure game has drawn many comparisons to the Assassin's Creed franchise, particularly the earlier installments, due to its stealth-based gameplay. In fact, Ghost of Tsushima might just be the Assassin's Creed game fans never got.

Ghost of Tsushima has the two main pillars of its gameplay emphasized in its skill tree system. There are two skill trees: one focused on skills related to samurai combat, and the other with abilities connected to being the titular "ghost." The ghost aspect of gameplay is where the comparisons to Assassin's Creed come in. While the samurai skills emphasize face-to-face sword combat, the ghost mechanic focuses on stealth and assassination. The game is designed to encourage players to switch between ghost and samurai depending on the mission specifics, as well as their preference for whichever form of combat.

In Ghost of Tsushima, Jin finds himself in a crossroad between being an honorable samurai and a vengeful ghost hellbent on taking down the invaders, even going as far to be as brutal as the Mongols themselves.

While the samurai skill tree is unlocked from the beginning, the ghost skill tree takes some time. This is consistent with the plot, as Jin has chosen to abandon the samurai's warrior code in favor of victory through any means necessary. Players can choose to act as an honorable samurai, or rely on sneaking and killing with the element of surprise, employing weapons and tools in the process. The game also throws incentives towards players to switch between styles, such as samurais being respected by NPCs during the day, unlike the ghost which may cause panic among the inhabitants of the villages, or the ghost being far more effective during night-time attacks as opposed to the more defensive samurai style.

Ghost of Tsushima doesn't seem content to just mimic Assassin's Creed, though, instead improving on some common elements. For example, the ghost skill tree also involves, along with agility and stealth, abilities to improve the character's alchemy, such as creating poison or smoke bombs, which is one way where Ghost of Tsushima has pushed the assassination stealth mechanics beyond the Ezio trilogy.

In many ways, this positions Ghost of Tsushima as a spiritual successor to -- and natural evolution of -- the Ezio trilogy and the older Assassin's Creed games. Plus, for a long time, fans of the Assassin's Creed franchise have wanted a game set in feudal Japan. However, one has never come to fruition. This means, in many ways, Ghost of Tsushima might just finally give Assassin's Creed fans the game they should have gotten years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

mejin

Not what I wanna hear

If they'd of said the tenchu you've all been waiting for id be more hyped

As soon as you say AC all I can think of is fetch missions and icons everywhere on the minimap

They know as much as us. So, this article could be bollocks. I will wait for new trailer and infos.

GymWolf

they are releasing always the same exact infos, there is nothing new in this article.

we want detailed info about the combat, cmon sucker punch.

GymWolf

Not what I wanna hear

If they'd of said the tenchu you've all been waiting for id be more hyped

As soon as you say AC all I can think of is fetch missions and icons everywhere on the minimap
except they said multiple times no icons or gps function in this game.

i hope they are not bullshitting us.

iorek21

Since 2018 demo I knew this would be a better version of an Assassin’s Creed, and not in a negative way, Altair and Ezio’s games are epic

On the other hand, modern ACs are souless, so I hope GoT isn’t anything like them

Mista

Banned
Since 2018 demo I knew this would be a better version of an Assassin’s Creed, and not in a negative way, Altair and Ezio’s games are epic

On the other hand, modern ACs are souless, so I hope GoT isn’t anything like them
100% correct. AC series changed its concept a lot. But now? It went from badass assassins to straight up Hollywood action (but you can be an assassin for a bit) .. I don’t mind it if its fun and also up to this day no AC titled have topped Brotherhood for me.
im hoping its more tenchu than assassins creed...im spewing we never got a new game in that series
I believe Tenchu will make a comeback with the new-gen

Last edited:

INC

100% correct. AC series changed its concept a lot. But now? It went from badass assassins to straight up Hollywood action (but you can be an assassin for a bit) .. I don’t mind it if its fun and also up to this day no AC titled have topped Brotherhood for me.

Tenchu style stealth gameplay and bushido blade style comabt. It sort of looks like ghost is like that from what weve seen, fingers crossed

Last edited:

INC

I'd love for the bosses to be like the 8 devils of kimon, like in ninja scrolls

Also why has no one done a ninja scroll fighting game? Seems like the art style from ninja scroll would be perfect for it

iorek21

Once upon a time, AC was supposed to be a social stealth game with some combat mechanics. But on recent titles, you just play as a generic historical superhero

INC

Japanese AC?! I hope not

Japanese Batman?! Yeah, baby

inda3tR.jpg

brian0057

Banned
Sekiro originally began as a Tenchu game but then someone at From Software remembered that they only make slightly different shades of Dark Souls so they couldn't sell it as a Tenchu game. Hence the name change.

In short, Tenchu is dead and will never come back... just like Armored Core (unless they manage to make it Souls-like with a different name altogether and it's no longer Armored Core).

GymWolf

It's not like Assassins Creed, they are just using that because it's open world and the easiest thing to point to for casuals to understand that it is open world and historical.....

Doesn't mean anything for gameplay etc.
my thought exactly.

but to be honest, i except more than one similarity with ubisoft saga, let's just hope story and combat are not on the same turd level than ac games.

Fbh

I know they are just comparing them because of the open world and stealth element, but I sure hope it's better than Assassins Creed when it comes to plot, combat and stealth.

Still cautiously optimistic about this, hope it turns out ok. Showing so little about it in the 3 years since it got announced either means they have confidence it will be awesome and they don't want to spoil anything...... or that it's not looking that good and they don't want to de-hype it.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Not sure it's a good thing for the game comparing it with AC. If anything will discourage alot of people.

I'm still pretty much in the hype with this game, but not sure it was a wise idea.

SleepDoctor

Banned
Yes, bushido blade would be awesome.

I kinda wanted a multiplayer duel mode like bushido blade actually but that's super doubtful.

I've been wanting a remaster or reboot of those games. Or even the Kengo games on Ps2. If this game pulls this type of combat off, I'll be happy to fight every single enemy in the world lol.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Personally not interested but they knew what to say to get people on board. The screaming for a Japanese AC has gone on for a decade. I think the game will be like Way of the Samurai with budget.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Well, Infamous: Second Son is on the best open-world I have play it. Kind of Saint-Rowy, that content actually does not overstate it's welcome. So why not, AC definitely needs this sort of fat trimming. But let's just say, I don't really care about Japan, etc. Why not make Ghost of Москва, would be 1000000000x more interesting. But that's just me. Maybe it's even my slight weakness towards the alcohol or some shit.

I don't understand why so many fucking weebs are on the internet. You think Japanese culture is under-represented in games. l - O - l

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Well, Infamous: Second Son is on the best open-world I have play it. Kind of Saint-Rowy, that content actually does not overstate it's welcome. So why not, AC definitely needs this sort of fat trimming. But let's just say, I don't really care about Japan, etc. Why not make Ghost of Москва, would be 1000000000x more interesting. But that's just me. Maybe it's even my slight weakness towards the alcohol or some shit.

I don't understand why so many fucking weebs are on the internet. You think Japanese culture is under-represented in games. l - O - l
When's Assassin's Creed Prague though??

Top Bottom