• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima - Review Thread

Bryank75

Banned
Don't think Sony or SP are playing anybody, other than ND all other studios are just focusing on making great games.
even ND it's probably just Niel forcing the whole studio to toe the line.

the MC user score matches the popular perception you find on play-streams and social media. there is no obvious reason to score GoT down. it doesn't have technical issues like Days Gone. the game-play is accessible to the mainstream, the art is beautiful. the mainstream gamer will not nitpick searching for faults or arbitrarily scale his score in comparison to other games.
I agree completely.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I can’t believe I’m saying this. But the English audio is better. Do you know why? Because it’s native. They made the game in English first

I played the first several hours with Japanese audio and I wasn’t loving it.
Now you know why: The Japanese was done second... and you can tell

If it was like a Japanese movie, where it was recorded in Japanese, then yes I would watch that Japanese movie in Japanese and gladly put on the subtitles.
Nonsense. The JP voiceactors did a great job. Sure the lip movement doesn’t fit the japanese voice lines, but you cant focus on that anyway if you read the subs.
Maybe you prefer english because thats what you started with. I went in with JP first and cant go to English.
Also Jin in JP is voiced by Zoro from OnePice.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Nonsense. The JP voiceactors did a great job. Sure the lip movement doesn’t fit the japanese voice lines, but you cant focus on that anyway if you read the subs.
Maybe you prefer english because thats what you started with. I went in with JP first and cant go to English.
Also Jin in JP is voiced by Zoro from OnePice.
I specifically say that I started off with Japanese audio

And add that I love subtitles and foreign language in every movie I watch

So the fact that I later switched to English says something because I’d normally be against that

Kamina

Golden Boy
I specifically say that I started off with Japanese audio

And add that I love subtitles and foreign language in every movie I watch

So the fact that I later switched to English says something because I’d normally be against that
In your post you only stated that you played the first hours in JP not that you started with it.
I see now that you mean that you stared playing your game in japanese and played it like that for the first hours.

Regardless, The voiceacting in JP is good. It just doesn’t fit the lip sync, and that can be avoided by actually reading the subtitles.

Last edited:

BRZBlue

In your post you only stated that you played the first hours in JP not that you started with it.
I see now that you mean that you stared playing your game in japanese and played it like that for the first hours.

Regardless, The voiceacting in JP is good. It just doesn’t fit the lip sync, and that can be avoided by actually reading the subtitles.

There's some weird idiosyncrasies with Japanese Seiyuu in-general that I'd love for a native-speaker to answer if I can ever fine a Japanese person's to ask. I'm teaching myself Japanese and I'm noticing a very weird disconnect between Seiyuu speaking in games and anime, and conversational japanese. (Namely, men tone their voice so low in voice work). And the opposite for women. It always seems to have the side effect of voices for similar characters sounding similar in pitch and tone. I wonder if its a voice training thing.

Eiknarf

Man
For some reason I don’t want to go North to continue the story!!! I want to clear every side mission throughout the South!! Every time I see a “?” or a side mission, I fast travel to the nearest place to it and do that. Then I think, “Now I’m gonna head North!” but I see something else down in the south

New patch of the game might improve a few things, especially stealth gameplay.

New difficulty level: Lethal

• – Enemy weapons are more deadly, but Jin’s katana is also more deadly
  • – Enemies are more aggressive in combat
  • – Enemies detect you faster
  • – Tighter Parry and Dodge windows

they’re also adding a super easy mode.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Man
For some reason I don’t want to go North to continue the story!!! I want to clear every side mission throughout the South!! Every time I see a “?” or a side mission, I fast travel to the nearest place to it and do that. Then I think, “Now I’m gonna head North!” but I see something else down in the south
I know the feeling and then you see a fox or bird and get sidetracked lol

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.

Boss Mog

No black people, no LGBTQ+ no leftist agenda of any kind. I honestly can't see woke "games journalists" getting on board. It'll probably be between 82 and 84 on metacritic. I guarantee you the user score will be higher than the critic score.
What do I win?

Eiknarf

Quick question for anyone who finished the game:

Can you continue doing side quests and upgrading AFTER the ending credits - meaning after you’ve competed the game?

Quick question for anyone who finished the game:

Can you continue doing side quests and upgrading AFTER the ending credits - meaning after you’ve competed the game?
Yes, I also recommend not doing everything in each act, since the game gives you incentive to go back.

The game will also reveal the whole map (hidden secrets, undiscovered locations and all) once you've completely liberated a region. So, don't waste your time clearing the fog of war (like I did in the first region, lol), just explore naturally and don't be afraid of advancing the main quest.

idrago01

Banned
What do I win?
You can’t say it doesn’t have any lgqbt agenda pushing moments if u played the granny samurai storyline until the end. Her story sure felt as if it was written by some blue hair diversity hire from tumbler. Other than the purposefully fugly women which is standard for western games and a few side quests it hasn’t been too bad though, maybe a 4/10 on the wokemeter.

PanzerAzel

There's some weird idiosyncrasies with Japanese Seiyuu in-general that I'd love for a native-speaker to answer if I can ever fine a Japanese person's to ask. I'm teaching myself Japanese and I'm noticing a very weird disconnect between Seiyuu speaking in games and anime, and conversational japanese. (Namely, men tone their voice so low in voice work). And the opposite for women. It always seems to have the side effect of voices for similar characters sounding similar in pitch and tone. I wonder if its a voice training thing.
How difficult is Japanese to learn? I’d love to be able to play this understanding what’s being said.

This guy does great reviews, hits the nail on the head.

Kerotan

late review 5/10
LOLchartz is trash tier. They got a Nintendo fanboy to review one of Sony's best exclusives this year and he proceeds to trash it. They wouldn't get a Sony fanboy to review BOTW but then again the place is over run by Nintendo fanboys so it makes sense.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Wait a minute!

I just hit pause!!!

I’m about to have a duel with the old lady?! THE OLD LADY??!!
Well it not the first time we duel with old ladies...:messenger_winking:
E676D92FD0EEB24F264CE0881F490940E7E020B6

Eiknarf

Oh yeah! Quick lil question:

HOW FUCKIN LONG IS THIS GAME?!?

I have played this game for two hours every single day since the day before release (Because I’m one of the lucky ones who gets all games a day before street date)

That’s 25 days in a row X 2 hours a day.

That’s 50 hours

And I’m not done yet.

And just for the record I’m not complaining. I just can’t believe the game keeps going and going and going and going and going.

I honestly don’t believe anybody finished it yet. I don’t understand how you can unless you play video games for 10 hours a day

And if you’re rushing through it then you’re not enjoying it. You can NOT enjoy something if you rush

Last edited:

I have played this game for two hours every single day since the day before release (Because I’m one of the lucky ones who gets all games a day before street date)

That’s 50 hours

And I’m not done yet.

And just for the record I’m not complaining. I just can’t believe the game keeps going and going and going and going and going.

I honestly don’t believe anybody finished it yet. I don’t understand how you can unless you play video games for 10 hours a day

And if you’re rushing through it then you’re not enjoying it. You can NOT enjoy something if you rush

If you enjoy it as much as many others like me it's gonna drag for a long time. That's good however... not much coming out these next few weeks/months so I've embraced it. Not rushing to plat it...

Last edited:

Eiknarf

If you enjoy it as much as many others like me it's gonna drag for a long time. That's good however... not much coming out these next few weeks/months so I've embraced it. Not rushing to plat it...
That’s my thought too. I’m glad it’s filling up a little bit of my days.

But I have a follow up question and it’s about the side quests:

Obviously I started in the south. I went to the north in the middle. And now I’m finally all the way north-north...etc. And I’m doing all the side quests on the way

I’m under the impression that if I finish the main story and defeat Khan and the Mongols that all the side quests will be rendered useless. Wouldn’t they disappear? Why would there still be lil camps of Mongols in the south if there’s no leader to work for? It’s not like Days Gone where you can finish the main story and there would still obviously be hordes and nests of zombies about the map. Zombies don’t work for a leader or a ruler.

So I ask; how can there be side missions if I complete the main story?

Last edited:
That’s my thought too. I’m glad it’s filling up a little bit of my days.

But I have a follow up question and it’s about the side quests:

Obviously I started in the south. I went to the north in the middle. And now I’m finally all the way north-north...etc. And I’m doing all the side quests on the way

I’m under the impression that if I finish the main story and defeat Khan and the Mongols that all the side quests will be rendered useless. Wouldn’t they disappear? Why would there still be lil camps of Mongols in the south if there’s no leader to work for? It’s not like Days Gone where you can finish the main story and there would still obviously be hordes and nests of zombies about the map. Zombies don’t work for a leader or a ruler.

So I ask; how can there be side missions if I complete the main story?

I haven't finished it yet so I can't say.

That’s 50 hours

And I’m not done yet.

Maybe you're just bad at the game? I mean that is my first impression if you can't figure out how long the game is, based on the map and how you progress the story...I mean it's fucking obvious you go up the map do some main quests then you reach the end of the map by conquering the big outpost and you unlock the next area and repeat that 3 times and game over. That's basically the main quest design. I finished the game on hard, completed all side quests, did all the outposts, found all the health pools and bamboo challenges and I think it took me around 50 hours. I also played 60-70% stealth. If you dont care about side content the main quest should take you 20-30 hours or less.

Eiknarf

Maybe you're just bad at the game? I mean that is my first impression if you can't figure out how long the game is, based on the map and how you progress the story...I mean it's fucking obvious you go up the map do some main quests then you reach the end of the map by conquering the big outpost and you unlock the next area and repeat that 3 times and game over. That's basically the main quest design. I finished the game on hard, completed all side quests, did all the outposts, found all the health pools and bamboo challenges and I think it took me around 50 hours. I also played 60-70% stealth. If you dont care about side content the main quest should take you 20-30 hours or less.

That would seem likely but I don’t think that you read my follow up post

I put in 50 hours. The exact same as you. And I’ve done every single side mission on the way up. Why? Because I do not believe the side missions will still be there if I conquer Khan and finish the main story. Why would Mangol territories still exist if I killed their leader? It is obviously not like ‘days gone‘ where zombie nests will still exist after you complete the main story. It is not at all like that. Without a leader there will be no Mongols fighting for anything

Last edited:
That would seem likely but I don’t think that you read my follow up post

I put in 50 hours. The exact same as you. And I’ve done every single side mission on the way up. Why? Because I do not believe the side missions will still be there if I conquer Khan and finish the main story. Why would Mangal territories still exist if I killed their leader? It is obviously not like days gone where zombie nests will still exist after you complete the main story. It is not at all like that. Without a leader there will be no Mongols fighting for anything

Well you can continue conquering the map even after you finished the main quest. Bandits don't need leaders and mongol camps scattered around the map have their own leader if you care that much about historical accuracy.

Dibils2k

That’s 50 hours

And I’m not done yet.

i mean like any open world game, if you do all the side missions its gonna take ages

the main missions werent that long in this game

that's a given
apparently the infamous website reopened so they might release a new Infamous sequel first followed by a GOT sequel
I assume Sucker Punch has two teams like many of the other Sony first party studios
An Infamous game after all the experience from Ghost of Tsushima's development would be my wet dream coming true. I still feel bad for Sucker Punch because you could clearly see how the game was rushed to match the PS4 early launch titles (I know it came on March, 4 to 5 months after PS4's release).

I want to see what they can do with the powers if given enough time for development. I think they can make it in 4 to 5 years since they seem to be ready tech-wise.

Anyone else held off the game till ps5?

I stopped playing on 3rd islsnd just to finush it on ps5

—-OT

Sorry lads couldnt find main topic on the search

zwiggelbig

Alright I just started playing this. Around 10 hours in.. And I really dont get the score of the Last of us part 2 compared to this one now.. How is there such a huge difference? Holy fuck this game is AMAZING
The world is gorgeous, the gameplay is fantastic! Loving the story. Side quests are kinda fun stories to
This should atleast be a 90 on metacritic

kevm3

Alright I just started playing this. Around 10 hours in.. And I really dont get the score of the Last of us part 2 compared to this one now.. How is there such a huge difference? Holy fuck this game is AMAZING
The world is gorgeous, the gameplay is fantastic! Loving the story. Side quests are kinda fun stories to

I always find that the user scores usually tell a much more accurate story and according to users, Tsushima is a 9+. If this game had Rockstar or Nintendo slapped on the cover, it'd probably be proclaimed one of the games of the century by these publications

GreyHorace

Because the woke gaming press didn't like it when gamers started hating on their anointed The Last of Us 2. So they gave middling scores to GoT because gamers loved it.

Top Bottom