• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GHOSTBUSTERS: AFTERLIFE — Final Trailer "Hey, have you missed us?"

ManaByte

harold ramis ghostbusters GIF

jason10mm

Gold Member
I just saw the movie and I really enjoyed it. Slightly different tone to the others but still really good fun, which is what counts. Some great nods to the first 2 films too. Go see it!
How appropriate for little kids is it? Like 8-9 years old? Is the PG-13 due to horror/scary/gore elements or just some bad language?

Cattlyst

How appropriate for little kids is it? Like 8-9 years old? Is the PG-13 due to horror/scary/gore elements or just some bad language?
There are some loud jump scares but not a great deal of profanity. I think maybe one or two swears. But there was a kid in my cinema who was a bit freaked out but I don’t think anything super scary.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Lost it at the Father-Son Kamehameha moment. If you know then you know.

Doesn't acknowledge II at all unfortunately, but it is good, Phoebe Spengler is a good character but it takes Paul Rudd's character to bring her into her own I'd say.

Finn Wolfhard is just aight as per usual.

Fret Runner

Just watched it.
It's fine. A bit lackluster from what I was hoping for but overall just kinda fine. Bit baffled how some are saying it's at least better than GB2, but I fully admit I've always liked GB2 so people shitting on it has always kinda rubbed me the wrong way. A few pegs below GB2 but by no means shit.

Goes without saying that it is better than the 2016 crap, but the film could've been about Ray crapping his pants and pining for more ghost blowjobs and it still would've been better than that so forget that hurdle.

For shits and giggles, my rating is a 6/10

Personal biggest gripe:
I feel they botched Rays character. He didn't believe Egon and got spooked by the things he was saying? what the fuck?
if anything he would have been like a excited dog an followed him. Also he said the old fire house was turned into a starbucks but the credits scene shows it just empty? unless my memory fazed something out lol

The whole thing of him just upping and ditching the crew just seems like such a nonsensical ass pull it just sours the whole thing for me.

Cattlyst

Just watched it.
It's fine. A bit lackluster from what I was hoping for but overall just kinda fine. Bit baffled how some are saying it's at least better than GB2, but I fully admit I've always liked GB2 so people shitting on it has always kinda rubbed me the wrong way. A few pegs below GB2 but by no means shit.

Goes without saying that it is better than the 2016 crap, but the film could've been about Ray crapping his pants and pining for more ghost blowjobs and it still would've been better than that so forget that hurdle.

Personal biggest gripe:
I feel they botched Rays character. He didn't believe Egon and got spooked by the things he was saying? what the fuck?
if anything he would have been like a excited dog an followed him. Also he said the old fire house was turned into a starbucks but the credits scene shows it just empty? unless my memory fazed something out lol

The whole thing of him just upping and ditching the crew just seems like such a nonsensical ass pull it just sours the whole thing for me.
Yeah totally agree with this to be fair

Stuart360

Just watched it.

Personal biggest gripe:

Its funny becaue i like watching those 'First time watching' reactions vids where people watch films for the first time. Watched plenty for Ghostbusters 2 and they all love the film, and say stuff like 'its weird because we wre told the film was bad but we loved it!'.

As for this film, i'm just glad it was called Afterlife and not 'Ghostbusters 3'. Its an alright spin off film but doesnt come close to the first 2 films imo.

Hope its good, very excited, nearest theater playing it is almost an hour away, so we'll just have to wait until VoD. That being said I hope Finn Wolfhard isn't in it too too much, he kind of annoys the shit out of me for a reason I have no idea.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
So lets go to the point.

How minutes are the original crew on the film??? Or is just a cameo almost in the end of the movie?

I dont care paúl rudd.... Im going to see the movie only for the original cast.

Enjay

Banned
So lets go to the point.

How minutes are the original crew on the film??? Or is just a cameo almost in the end of the movie?

I dont care paúl rudd.... Im going to see the movie only for the original cast.
About 10 minutes and Egon is exploited via archive footage or special effects for the final bust. Winston is used in the post credits scene in an effort to milk this now undead cow more.

Fret Runner

I would have really liked this film more if Ray joined the kids, say, near the middle of the film and investigated the mines with them, helped them bust Muncher, showed them how to use the pack/trap (have him get injured so he can't use them) and what not. Then he finds something out that needs him to go do something like get more Packs and get the other two guys so he leaves the kids with a "whatever you do, don't go back down there" or something type of situation only for things to still go wrong. sure, the big reveal when he shows up with the other two might be watered down but I just feel it needed at least Ray to kinda make it all seem a bit more of a satisfying continuation of GB.

What the hell was the point of having Ivo Shandor in this just to have him die after like what 20 seconds? Like there's no set up for him being there so him getting killed just falls flat. hi Ivo! oh, bye Ivo. would it not have made more sense for him to go into his sleeping beauty mode in New York when he built the temple? The video game plot point of the Slime being a shandor creation could have been worked into this easily and would have been a fun little nod to GB2 and the game, albeit the game never happened but them finding out the slime was connected to shandor could have been discovered after the events of GB2 or something. Just have Ray lore dump it while investigating the mines with them. I liked that slime plot point in the game. random ramble over lol

Angelcurio

Just came back from the cinema after watching it with two of my kids. Definitely, its the first time that a comedy makes me drop a tear. As others have said, that Father-Son Kamehameha moment made me Lost it.

ManaByte

Just came back from the cinema after watching it with two of my kids. Definitely, its the first time that a comedy makes me drop a tear. As others have said, that Father-Son Kamehameha moment made me Lost it.
Yea from that point to the credits. God damn.
I can totally forgive Reitman for doing the same exact ending as E.T. because it was for Egon.

Thaedolus

I wish my kids were old enough to take to this. As it stands I'm probably going on a man date with a bud. Just trying to find a mutually acceptable time.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I just finished watching the 4DX version- What a ride. It was beautifully heartfelt and definitely brought the tears.

The first film has been my favorite movie since I was a child. This one is now my second favorite Ghostbuster film...I loved it. ❤️

LOTS of fan service in this, both for the original film and a bit inspired from the Real Ghostbusters cartoon, even a Kenner toy line ghost making a tiny film appearance for the first time:

Last edited:

McCheese

I just finished watching the 4DX version- What a ride. It was beautifully heartfelt and definitely brought the tears.

The first film has been my favorite movie since I was a child. This one is now my second favorite Ghostbuster film...I loved it. ❤️

LOTS of fan service in this, both for the original film and even a bit from the Real Ghostbusters cartoon...such as Summerville, OK being Egon's hometown, even a Kenner toy line ghost making a tiny film appearance for the first time:

Seeing this tonight, your comment has got me hyped! Thanks

I won a Kenner competition as a kid to name one of the toyline ghosts, If my boy has made it into the film I'll go nuts. I remember a huge crate arriving at the house addressed to me, and my dad being a miserable sod figured they had the name wrong and it must be for him, so he opened it and it was one of everything, the fire station, eco-1 etc. Took us like an hour to remember we entered the competition a few months ago. Not sure if they used the name everywhere or just in Europe for that toy, got a copy of the designs for him too.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love

I won a Kenner competition as a kid to name one of the toyline ghosts, If my boy has made it into the film I'll go nuts. I remember a huge crate arriving at the house addressed to me, and my dad being a miserable sod figured they had the name wrong and it must be for him, so he opened it and it was one of everything, the fire station, eco-1 etc. Took us like an hour to remember we entered the competition a few months ago. Not sure if they used the name everywhere or just in Europe for that toy, got a copy of the designs for him too.

I hope you enjoy it! Be sure to stay during the credits for two extra scenes! ❤️

I might have been hyped and nostalgic as a huge fan of the first movie, and for this film's love for Egon Spengler / Harold Ramis. Upon multiple watchings I'll probably put GB2 and Afterlife tied for second favorite...and then the 2016 reboot just a memory I found a few bits of enjoyment in but never want to see again.

Oh, and I just ordered Tobin's Spirit Guide on Amazon. They have a hardcover version of it! :)

Tobin's Spirit Guide: Official Ghostbusters Edition

qxRd9gc.png

Last edited:
I saw it in IMAX this wednesday.

The movie took a while to get going, and some of the jokes fell a little flat here and there, but once it finds its rhythm it's really, really fun and exciting.

I loved the new lead kid, she authentically comes across as
Egon's granddaughter
, without it feeling cringy or woke.

Paul Rudd is charming as always and adds some much needed humor to the story, and even the mom managed to win me over by the end.

What I loved most of all, is how the movie not only respects and honors the original movies (and the respective actors), but how it honors and includes Harold Ramis. Somehow they found a way to center the entire movie around his character and made it work.

I'm not going to lie, I definitely shed some tears by the end, and the movie ends very strongly. Make sure you stay through the entire credits! There are two scenes, one mid- and one post-credits.

Overall I'd give it a 7.5 / 10. Not perfect, but a fun ride that is very enjoyable for fans of the series, with a strong and emotional final act.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Seeing it again next week.

The

Hey flat top,

Was the first time since COVID I saw a theater react like at a Marvel movie.

kunonabi

Really enjoyed it. The first half is stronger than the second for me but a super fun ride nonetheless. The Phoebe/Podcast and Gruberson/Callie pairings are just a ton of fun. Really hope it does well so we can see these characters again.

McCheese

Thought the film wasn't that good, maybe a 5/10.

The first 70% is a very slow but somewhat entertaining setup, 20% towards the end is the good stuff, but then the end itself is abrupt and feels more like a cosplay convention photo-op than an actual ending.

I don't think I would have minded all the setup if they nailed the ending, but it goes out with a fucking whimper; all that buildup for a villain who is pretty much spawn camped by 3 out of shape dudes.

I'm also not too sure what to make of the Egon stuff, knowing that the actor wanted to make this film for decades but Murry was cock-blocking it going ahead until after he died, sorta leaves a bad taste. It's a lovely tribute, but.. man, I'd love to hear his family or children come out and support it so I know it's sincere and not a cash grab. My gut feeling is that Ramis might have hated it.

The actors were all great, and shout-out to Ailynn Ailynn for telling me to wait until after the credits, the 2nd post-credit scene is better than the actual ending.

Last edited by a moderator:

ManaByte

I'm also not too sure what to make of the Egon stuff, knowing that the actor wanted to make this film for decades but Murry was cock-blocking it going ahead until after he died, sorta leaves a bad taste. It's a lovely tribute, but.. man, I'd love to hear his family or children come out and support it so I know it's sincere and not a cash grab. My gut feeling is that Ramis might have hated it.

That's not true at all. Ramis and Akyroyd were working on a new version of Ghostbusters 3 when Ramis died in 2014(and then Sony went and made the piece of shit in 2016). It was a different movie than Ghostbusters: Hellbent, which is what the game was based on. They had two scripts, one without Murray and another version with Murray if they had been able to convince him to do it. That movie would've had Ben Stiller as a new Ghostbusters recruit along with Oscar, and had nothing to do with this one.

This movie came about after the 2016 abortion tanked and cost Sony millions. Akyroyd and Ghost Corps wanted to do a follow up to the original movies, at a fraction of the massive budget of the 2016 vomit. That led to this movie. Ghost Corps was also planning a Slimer animated movie, but as that was apparently a spin-off of the 2016 explosive diarrhea it's probably dead.

Last edited:

McCheese

That's not true at all. Ramis and Akyroyd were working on a new version of Ghostbusters 3 when Ramis died in 2014(and then Sony went and made the piece of shit in 2016). It was a different movie than Ghostbusters: Hellbent, which is what the game was based on. They had two scripts, one without Murray and another version with Murray if they had been able to convince him to do it. That movie would've had Ben Stiller as a new Ghostbusters recruit along with Oscar, and had nothing to do with this one.

This movie came about after the 2016 abortion tanked and cost Sony millions. Akyroyd and Ghost Corps wanted to do a follow up to the original movies, at a fraction of the massive budget of the 2016 vomit. That led to this movie. Ghost Corps was also planning a Slimer animated movie, but as that was apparently a spin-off of the 2016 explosive diarrhea it's probably dead.

Cheers for the clarification, where did the whole "It's Murray's fault they never made it" thing originate from?

ManaByte

Cheers for the clarification, where did the whole "It's Murray's fault they never made it" thing originate from?

Murray refused to do Hellbent in the 90s because he felt like he was tricked into making Ghostbusters II. He says they pitched him a completely different movie than what they filmed, so he didn't want to do a third. Towards the end of the development other Ghostbusters 3 (which was going to be about college students doing experiments that opened a portal) it sounded like they were confident that he was going to come back for it. That was around 2012 or 2013, and it would've been hard for him to say no after he made two fucking GARFIELD movies. Had Ramis not died, we probably would've had that movie instead of the 2016 herpes sore.

Ionian

Never before have I ever been so tempted to put a user of ignore (from sheer childhood jealousy).

Sounds amazing, hope you kept them all!

Enjay

Banned
It was just them struggling to make back some of the money they lost in 2016.

Top Bottom