• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GHOSTBUSTERS: AFTERLIFE — Final Trailer "Hey, have you missed us?"

Soltype

anxious-nervous.gif

Not watching this til I watch the movie, hopefully I can see it today.

nush

Gold Member
Can't counter their points? Just call them smelly old poo poo heads like a 12 year old. Bender already on point here.

Eh. I have a hard time taking them seriously. Those guys are cringe levels of contrarian. Like angry twelve year old fanboys, only they're all in their 50's and out of shape and still dress like they're twelve.

What points that they made to you disagree with and find contrarian?

Their summary is that it's a poorly plotted film that forgets it's a sequel to a comedy and relies on Memberberries, it's bad in a different way to 2016.

Ionian

I enjoyed it for what it was, harmless fun. The new crew definitely had it's moments but can largely agree with what they pointed out.

As Nush said it is very "Memberberries". Nothing wrong with that. It's basically a kids film with nods to the original for the older generation. One point they make is they redo the first film and they are completely right.

Their comparison to 'The Force Awakens' is spot-on. Re-tooled for a newer audience, they do make apt comparisons.

Last edited:

Krathoon

As for the Statue of Liberty coming to life, you will always have people who will deny it happening. Especially if it reverted back to normal.
I always felt they went a little too far with that. Maybe Ghostbusters 2 was a tall tale from Venkman.

Last edited:

lifa-cobex

I enjoyed it for what it was, harmless fun. The new crew definitely had it's moments but can largely agree with what they pointed out.

As Nush said it is very "Memberberries". Nothing wrong with that. It's basically a kids film with nods to the original for the older generation. One point they make is they redo the first film and they are completely right.

Their comparison to 'The Force Awakens' is spot-on. Re-tooled for a newer audience, they do make apt compar
Agreed for the most part.
My issues with the memberberries is that it's almost becoming the Marvel formula.
I really wished they had done what Mike said in the RLM review. Take the cynical corporate comedy aspect from the first and made a spin with that. It would have become it's own meta comedy for the way memberberries are used these days.

The film is fine!? I guess....

I'll probably feel the exact same way the with new Matrix.
The film was fine.
Memberberries.

In five or so years time I will say the same for Back to the Future 4.....

Dural

Took my kids (5, 8, and 12) on friday to an IMAX showing and we all loved it. My 5yo is obsessed with Ghostbusters, he dressed as Marshmallow Man for Halloween, and wore his Stay Puft hat to the movie. Yes, it used nostalgia, but so what, it also honored the original cast and movies and laid the ground for the future. Hopefully the movie does well enough to warrant sequels and they're handled better than the Star Wars ST.

I wonder if my 7 and 11 year old can handle this?

I took my 8 and 9 yr old daughters and they loved it. There's like one questionable scene (no worse than in the OG 2) but nothing explicit.

It was much better than I expected, tbh.

I liked the 2016 version , it’s ghostbusters with girls .. ghostbusters was always cheesy .. but what ever . Just because the cast was female doesn’t make it a bad movie ..

woukd be hilarious if true , yes.

I would say GB1 > Afterlife > GB2016 > GB2, but GB2 and 2016 are pretty interchangeable.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

I took my 8 and 9 yr old daughters and they loved it. There's like one questionable scene (no worse than in the OG 2) but nothing explicit.

I would say GB1 > Afterlife > GB2016 > GB2, but GB2 and 2016 are pretty interchangeable.
We are going tomorrow or Wednesday now. Granny took them to Clifford on Saturday.

Alebrije

Great comeback for the franchise. And the cast is young so you can expect at least 2 more movies.

Finally we got the fan service movie we needed with solid acting and scrip.

I know you said interchangeable but seriously are there really people who think GB2016 is better than GB2? I know jumping on the Bill Murray GB2 hating bandwagon is popular nowadays it seems but I just rewatched GB2 the other day and I still don't get the hate for it.

I know you said interchangeable but seriously are there really people who think GB2016 is better than GB2? I know jumping on the Bill Murray GB2 hating bandwagon is popular nowadays it seems but I just rewatched GB2 the other day and I still don't get the hate for it.
It's not amazing but it's got funny moments. It doesn't hold up to GB1 but that's a tall order. GB2016 nor GB2 deserve the hate they get.

It's not amazing but it's got funny moments. It doesn't hold up to GB1 but that's a tall order. GB2016 nor GB2 deserve the hate they get.
So many good things in 2....the court scene is awesome, the river of slime, lady on world of the psychic, the tunnel/ghost train scene, Yanosh, Peter and Dana reuniting, Venkman's toaster gag....just to name a few. I also prefer Vigo to Gozer just for the fact that he has more of a presence in the entire film and more sinister. The statue of liberty is probably the only questionable part of the movie but I really don't hate it like some do. I understand its a retread of 1 somewhat but lets be honest not many movies like it can have sequels as good or better, kind of like Predator.

So many good things in 2....the court scene is awesome, the river of slime, lady on world of the psychic, the tunnel/ghost train scene, Yanosh, Peter and Dana reuniting, Venkman's toaster gag....just to name a few. I also prefer Vigo to Gozer just for the fact that he has more of a presence in the entire film and more sinister. The statue of liberty is probably the only questionable part of the movie but I really don't hate it like some do. I understand its a retread of 1 somewhat but lets be honest not many movies like it can have sequels as good or better, kind of like Predator.

Yeah it has a lot of funny scenes but the movie as a whole is a bit of a mess / rehash. It's hard to live up to the OG, just like w/ Predator as you said.

Really only James Cameron (always raising the bar!) seems to be able to do sequels right. I'll argue to the end of time that T2 and Aliens were better than the original films.

jason10mm

Gold Member

^^This. My kid loved it. I'm not really sure why this even got a PG-13 rating, or why they sought it out. For a film to appeal to kids is the big win, as the adults were already on board. They should have had more ghosts, my kid LOVED Muncher.

If anything, the action break to bring in the old crew was jarring and should have been handled better.

Are people really surprised that this sucks?

Except it doesn't suck.

Court of public opinion weighs very heavy these days and it seems, by and large, by audience reception data and box office receipts, they've decided folks like the "critic" above can kick fucking rocks.

No one cares if it's heavy on nostalgia. I didn't mind it. That's what people like.

It sets up for the possibility of future iterations or serves neatly as a well done series conclusion and homage. I hate critics, especially because now that's its proving to be very successful, they'll get even more butthurt.

Are people really surprised that this sucks?
It doesn't. Their review is basically the inverse of their Force Awakens review, where history has proven that they were too positive (which they acknowledge in this video, saying hindsight is 20/20). Rich was the only one that was rightfully lukewarm on it from the start.
For this review, they've instead focused too much on the negatives IMO... except for Rich, again, who summarizes that he "60-70% likes this movie. It's not terrible.. until it is" (referencing the ending sequence)

What I'm saying is that Rich is usually on point.
trailer GIF

What reboot/sequel do you think we will get next? I hope we get Back To The Future, and Gremlins.
Zemeckis has already made it clear no sequels or reboots will ever happen with Bttf and he has the final say on that. I could only imagine what a reboot of BttF would be like, probably Tom Holland as Marty and Robert Downey Jr as Doc Brown, kill me if that ever happens. I do think Gremlins could pull of a third movie (no reboot) but it really isn't needed.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Gremlins for sure. Why they are sleeping on that one is a total mystery.

Princess Bride is always an option even if the original film is nigh perfect.

Flash Gordon with the Rock/Mamoa/Cena/Bautista seems like a no brainer as well, tone shifted depending on who they cast. Chris Hemsworth could probably make a really good one in the tone of the original 80's film.

Last Starfighter, though I guess that would be the Armada book by the Ready Player One guy now.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Universal isn't allowed to remake or do a sequel to BTTF as long as Zemeckis and Bob Gale are above ground. It's in their contracts.
Amazing that they got contracts agreed to like that all those years ago and Hollywood was just like ‘yeah, okay’

Edit: went to see Afterlife tonight. Really enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Zemeckis has already made it clear no sequels or reboots will ever happen with Bttf and he has the final say on that. I could only imagine what a reboot of BttF would be like, probably Tom Holland as Marty and Robert Downey Jr as Doc Brown, kill me if that ever happens. I do think Gremlins could pull of a third movie (no reboot) but it really isn't needed.
I also expect a new Alien movie or series starring Sagourney Weaver.

ManaByte

I also expect a new Alien movie or series starring Sagourney Weaver.

Ridley Scott killed that.

Neil Blomkamp was going to make a sequel to Aliens. With Weaver, Behn, and Henn all back. Set 30 years later (so they're aged). The concept art looked fucking amazing.

Ridley Scott came in and threw his ego around Fox and convinced them to kill the project and instead allow him to continue his shit prequels.

The closest we're going to get to it is Noah Hawley's Alien series on FX that's set on Earth between Alien and Aliens.

ManaByte

Amazing that they got contracts agreed to like that all those years ago and Hollywood was just like ‘yeah, okay’

Well Ghostbusters is sort of similar actually. They couldn't make Ghostbusters 2 without the approval of Reitman, Murray, Aykroyd, and Ramis. They're all co-creators of the franchise and have final say. With Ramis gone now Ghost Corps is mostly just Reitman and Aykroyd these days though.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Really enjoyed it. The acting was great, the plot felt like there were some big chunks missing but it held up well enough. The tone of the movie was definitely different to the original, but after all this time and the death of one of the original iconic leads I think it pretty much went where it had to go.

I feel like there was a substantial amount cut to achieve the run time, maybe a few things that could have stayed and other things go.

Not sure, but I hope we get a Director's Cut on home release.

All signs point to this having a strong showing with its budget, so I hope that the series continues on.

On a movie note--

I actually like the idea of Winston being the one who keeps/kept it all going, or a possibility that they could be needed again to the entire time. It makes sense when he tells Egon's spirit that "I should've called."

Movie looked like it would be awful. RLM confirmed it’s awful. Will skip, might stream when it ends up on Netflix.

2016 one was no joke top 5 worst movies I’ve ever seen in my entire life. I hate that movie so much.

Last edited:

Ionian

Movie looked like it would be awful. RLM confirmed it’s awful. Will skip, might stream when it ends up on Netflix.

2016 one was no joke top 5 worst movies I’ve ever seen in my entire life. I hate that movie so much.

It's pretty good. I wouldn't take their review very seriously at all. It's nothing like the 2016 one either.

Umbasaborne

Banned
I dont get out to the movies much these days but i did make the effort to see this. I am a long time gb fan. The original is a top 3 movies of all time for me. 2 is good as well. For me this movie was everything i wanted. I would have loved more of the old guys but the new cast was so like able that i didnt mind their relatively brief appearance. I definitely teared up at the end. Mckenna grace absolutely killed it. She was the stand out for me of all the new comers

Top Bottom