• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters: Afterlife Reviews (Embargo Lifted a MONTH Before Release)

TransTrender

Gold Member
I want to believe
AV1eC0z.jpg

Ionian

I wouldn’t say the 2016 movie was very good, but I certainly wasn’t offended by it. My 6 year old loved it, so I guess that’s something.

I didn't mind it either. It wasn't great and lots of cringe-worthy attempts at humour. But it was utterly pointless.

I won't watch it again but I thought it was OK. Just thank God it didn't get a sequel.

Last edited:

DKehoe

Gold Member
I wouldn’t say the 2016 movie was very good, but I certainly wasn’t offended by it. My 6 year old loved it, so I guess that’s something.
The weird thing about that film was you had a group of people thinking it was going to be this trailblazing force and another group thinking it was going to be the worst thing ever. But personally I just found it to be mediocre and unremarkable. I’ve no recollection of what the plot was. It left no meaningful impression on me. For something that was so divisive in “the discourse” I’ve no strong feelings about it either way.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I’ve no recollection of what the plot was.
The entire plot was anti-men. The main villain was a shut-in incel stereotype, and Chris Hemsworth's male secretary character was a retard.

Literally the only laugh in the entire movie came from Ozzy's cameo, which really had no place in a Ghostbusters movie in the first place but again was another example of the marketing driven focus group made movie that it was.

Ionian

You also have the theme which is a mix of dub-step/Jet pack joyride.

Sounds like a 16-year old made it on fruity loops over a few nights after homework. Slight hints of great, but certainly not memorable.

Last edited:

nkarafo

My only issue with this movie so far seems to be it's tone.

It doesn't look like it's a comedy. The original was one of the funniest movies i ever saw and even the dreadful remake tried to be funny.

This one looks like it's trying to be sappy and emotional, with a lot of nostalgia on top.

The Skull

Saw another "review" by some champion of the 2016 film screaming about it being a corpse of nepotism. I couldn't imagine being so triggered to hate something that, on the whole from what I've heard, the fan base seem to love. Sad sad people.

Enjay

Banned
I would've been all over this a few years ago but making it now after harold ramis is already dead feels shitty.

Ionian

It's kinda across between the goonies and ghost busters. I didn't mind it but prob wouldn't watch it again but it's hardly awful, there are far worse films out there. It's worth a shot but is a kids film so take that for what it is.

We're allowed to like different things. You do know that right?
You didn't miss anything.

I watched the full movie and you are correct, it is an absolute bore. I'm absolutely unnecessary movie and I'm surprised as many people like it as it did. I would definitely not compare this to the Goonies.

The Goonies was a lot of fun with a great sense of humor. It was one of my favorite movies of all time. None of that is here.

Last edited:
If you want real Ghostbusters 3, play the video game that came out on the Xbox 360 and recently got remastered.

If you want something close to The Goonies, go watch Stranger Things. Stranger Things may not be perfect but it's far more like The Goonies then this Afterlife mess.

I'm not saying this as an angry nerd or something. I actually legitimately wanted to enjoy this movie and I love Dan Aykroyd and would never want to say anything bad about him but I'm sorry, this movie was just fucking bad.

Last edited:
Top Bottom