• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GhostRunner PS5/XSX/XSS DF Performance Analysis

ethomaz

Banned
Game performing better on PS5 = “Xbox version is unoptimized… dev should not have time to work on it”.

Game performing better on Xbox = “Cleary Xbox is the strong console in the world”

Let see when people will realize PS5 has several advantages over Xbox that allow that new trend with better performance on PS5 happens.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Game performing better on PS5 = “Xbox version is unoptimized… dev should not have time to work on it”.

Game performing better on Xbox = “Cleary Xbox is the strong console in the world”

Let see when people will realize PS5 has several advantages over Xbox that allow that new trend with better performance on PS5 happens.
You are the worst console warrior around here…

Last edited:
Cringe Reaction GIF

onQ123

And these are not even the memory hungry games that's going to need a steady stream of data from the SSD to make up for the small RAM upgrade the new consoles have over last generation.

It seems like XSX GPU is getting saturated at RT and 120fps modes hence those frame rate drops, but it's locked 60fps in non-RT 60fps mode just like PS5. I'd say this is one of those games that favor the fast and narrow (deep) architecture of PS5.

This was pretty much proven to not be the case since a Series X system update fixed performance in the game, and according to DF it now runs better on Series X.

sendit

A unique case where PS5 outperforms XSX. Is it optimization? or one of those games that favor a high clock speeds?

No console warring or chest beating please.

Agreed. Something is a foot. There have been more of these unique/rare cases since the beginning of this gen. What gives?

RCU005

It's obvious that the XSX is very capable of running the game with no issues, so is it possible that having to run the game on Series S would be hindering XSX performance in any way?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Performance aside, I was disappointed in this game. I was excited for it, and started it recently and it was buggy and I thought got repetitive very quickly. And it was incredibly frustrating.

It has potential though if you're into Mirror's Edge type games. I quit after a bug made me have to start an entire level over that was pretty hard and I didn't feel like doing it all over again.

Jaysen

Banned
I guess PS5 is just going to be the better performing console for the foreseeable future for whatever reason. I was almost certain the Series X would be winning these face offs easily before the generation started.
It isn’t just a given that one will beat the other. It requires work and competence on the part of the developer. That clearly wasn’t the case here. There’s absolutely no reason why both versions couldn’t perform identically.

It's interesting, that's for sure. Would love for developers to explain what are causing the aggressive performance dips on Series X, especially in 120 hz modes. This is becoming a recurring issue in native current gen games. First, it was DMC5 SE, then one of these 3 - Dirt 5, Destiny 2 or R6 Siege, and now this game.

Also, why isn't there an Xbox One comparison? They only did PS4 for last gen?

jaysius

Banned

Dude who cares about these moronic pissing contest, 85% of the posters in these threads will never play said game. So it won't positively impact them at all.

Every single fucking performance analysis has to turn to pure shit by reply 2 or 3.

Darsxx82

Series X had stutters and hitches in Control when the game was released, that's what they said was fixed since the system update

Series X had stutters and hitches in Control when the game was released, that's what they said was fixed since the system update.
At its launch, the XSX version already performed better than the PS5 version in the most demanding moments. The results in photo mode also concluded such a thing. Compared to the PS5 version however, XSX showed jumps in fps in transitions to new areas and moments where nothing happened. The latter is what was later resolved (plus some extra fps) that makes the XSX version, without any objection now, the best between the two versions.

Or game runs fine on both Yay. Game runs fine on one poor on the other devs should have done a better job. Not everyone is shitty. This isn't a locked fps different res thing. This is the game runs poor on Xbox. Fucking fix it. I'm not a douche so I say the same when/if a game runs poorly on anything.

Darsxx82

Did DF do another direct comparison? PlayStation has had system updates as well.
No, but it is not necessary because they have video results of each version after the updates.

In the case of XSX, the situations of stuter and jumps of fps in transitions were eliminated and added some extra fps. At launch, it was the version that performed the best in demanding moments, but it was argued that it was not stable in those moments of zone transitions compared to the PS5 version. It's funny because someone here wanted to see memory problems or slower SSD without solution of XSX to explain why it happened and not so in PS5 😂.

In the case of PS5, the update only involved 1-2 extra fps, according to DF, "in very specific and limited situations." And 0 fps in the rest.
The point is that the improvement by the firm update on PS5 was sold as something feasible and notorious when it is limited to 1-2 fps "in very specific and limited situations" being the rest of the time the same as before.
That is, the improvement for the Control case did not need any analysis or comparison.

Lysandros

At its launch, the XSX version already performed better than the PS5 version in the most demanding moments. The results in photo mode also concluded such a thing. Compared to the PS5 version however, XSX showed jumps in fps in transitions to new areas and moments where nothing happened. The latter is what was later resolved (plus some extra fps) that makes the XSX version, without any objection now, the best between the two versions.
PS5 got a firmware revision 'one month ago' which increased performance ~2-3% mostly in RT related scenes like in Control and DMC 5.
YPK7fEY.jpg

Why does the PS4 version run like shit then? That has the largest install base.
I'm not saying it can't/won't be patched but if we're going by install base, then the PS4 version needs "fixing" first, it even uses DRS and runs like that.
With that logic the PS2 should get a version of the game. There are clearly technical limitations to the PS4 the PS5 does not have. In addition the PS4 is at end of life. Regardless extra development effort goes a long way. We'll see if they go back and make any adjustments to the Xbox versions of the game. I'm not holding my breath.

Darsxx82

PS5 got a firmware revision 'one month ago' which increased performance ~2-3% mostly in RT related scenes like in Control and DMC 5.
YPK7fEY.jpg
???
You are pointing to a capture of a specific moment totally out of context of what they say in the video.
The improvement is NOT 2fps more sustained compared to before the firm update.
DF is clear about the results .... Firmware update that only adds 1-2 more fps "in very limited and specific situations". In the rest of the game the improvement is 0 fps. Same for DMC.

Did DF do another direct comparison? PlayStation has had system updates as well.

Nope, but it wouldn't be the first time they hadn't gone back to a game once circumstances changed. Also game was running near perfect or close to it on PS5 already. The reason why the Series X system update gets attention is because the improvement was astronomical. It went from almost unplayable in some respects to perfect according to Richard Leadbetter from DF.

ethomaz

Banned
Idk how this became a Control thread, but iirc, Control only truly stuttered when you used an elevator on Xbox and PC. It was an I/O bug which is now fixed (by Microsoft, not by Remedy).
If I remember it happened when you have vegetation in ground and when you did use scope/zoom with weapons.

Edit - Wrong game… that was Hitman.

Control “It crops up with the arrival of UI elements on screen and in standard traversal, and can be distracting.”

Wasn't that Hitman 3? Where the native 4K killed the performance at high transparency?
Yeap… confused games.

Last edited:
???
You are pointing to a capture of a specific moment totally out of context of what they say in the video.
The improvement is NOT 2fps more sustained compared to before the firm update.
DF is clear about the results .... Firmware update that only adds 1-2 more fps "in very limited and specific situations". In the rest of the game the improvement is 0 fps. Same for DMC.
It depends of the scene and if RT is in or not. But 2 fps improvement when the game runs at 30fps ish (like DF found out) is actually noteworthy. I wonder what caused this.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

Nope, but it wouldn't be the first time they hadn't gone back to a game once circumstances changed. Also game was running near perfect or close to it on PS5 already. The reason why the Series X system update gets attention is because the improvement was astronomical. It went from almost unplayable in some respects to perfect according to Richard Leadbetter from DF.
It wasn't like that at all, the XSX version was perfectly playable. It is only necessary to revisit the original analysis.

XSX version from launch was already the one with the best performance. The photo mode results were proof. The problem in front of the PS5 version were the moments of sttuter and fps jumps in zone transitions and nonsense that, for some, made the Sony console version preferable as it was a game with locked framerate and extra performance in XSX did not affect a better gaming experience.
The update tools improvement is more relevant in XSX because it eliminated that defect and added some extra fps, which resulted in a flawless version with respect to the PS5 and the objectively preferable from a performance point of view.

The improvement in PS5 via firmware is irrelevant for a comparison since it only adds 1-2fps in limited and specific situations that do not vary from previous experience.

So PS5 has some advantages in some games and XsX has some advantages in some games. I thought we knew this already? Why are some acting like this is some corner case when its been happening since launch lamost a year ago? Anyway pretty good performance at 120fps for PS5, im honestly surprised by this and hope it continues throughout the Gen and devs dont target 30fps anymore.

It wasn't like that at all, the XSX version was perfectly playable. It is only necessary to revisit the original analysis.

XSX version from launch was already the one with the best performance. The photo mode results were proof. The problem in front of the PS5 version were the moments of sttuter and fps jumps in zone transitions and nonsense that, for some, made the Sony console version preferable as it was a game with locked framerate and extra performance in XSX did not affect a better gaming experience.
The update tools improvement is more relevant in XSX because it eliminated that defect and added some extra fps, which resulted in a flawless version with respect to the PS5 and the objectively preferable from a performance point of view.

The improvement in PS5 via firmware is irrelevant for a comparison since it only adds 1-2fps in limited and specific situations that do not vary from previous experience.
Dude let it go...

Darsxx82

It depends of the scene and if RT is in or not. But 2 fps improvement when the game runs at 30fps ish (like DF found out) is actually noteworthy. I wonder what caused this.
You need to rewatch the video and what DF says ... DF is clear, between 1-2 fps in very limited and specific situations and being 0 fps in the rest of the game. And NO, it is not a 1-2 fps improvement over game at 30fps. It is 1-2 fps, I repeat, "in specific and limited situations" in unlocked framerate up to 60fps. The fact is that its detection was only possible thanks to the photo mode where the framerate is unlocked (the same for DMC). Otherwise it would not have been detected on RT Mode.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned

Is it not going the other way when a game performs better on xsx? There was a game recently (can't recall which) that had much better load times on the xsx vs ps5 and the excuses were rampant about why that was. It definitely goes both ways.

Topher

Gold Member
They said it did run better in a video a few weeks ago. Don't you believe them?

Of course I believe them when they said the performance improved on XSX. That wasn't what I was asking.

Cool. So just as much a valid assumption to say the two are identical without another comparison. Either way, I'm glad both Sony and Microsoft are making efforts to improve performance.

The Series X version most certainly didn't outperform the PS5 version during their initial analysis at all. The photo mode comparison was, in a ways, a cool experiment, but that isn't gameplay. The Series X version would even slow down and hitch during the appearance of on-screen text, a crucial design element of Control. It was almost certainly in unplayable condition with respect to the PS5 version, and anybody who watches that video can see that. So a single system update from Microsoft, with no update from the dev, instantly changed that. That is why it got the attention it did. Such a thing has never happened in modern console gaming history. The update had something to do with the Series X virtual machine that runs with the OS.

Cool. So just as much a valid assumption to say the two are identical without another comparison. Either way, I'm glad both Sony and Microsoft are making efforts to improve performance.

Nearly identical I'm sure, but Digital Foundry are who stated the Series X version is now slightly better. I was just repeating what they said. But enough about Control. This thread is about the PS5 version of this game performing much better than its Series X counterpart.

Top Bottom