• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GhostRunner PS5/XSX/XSS DF Performance Analysis

Summary
PS5 runs at consistent FPS in RT mode and performs better than Series X.
PS5 runs at more consistent FPS in 120fps mode and performs better than Series X.
Series X has dips in high 40s to mid 50s in RT mode and isn't very responsive.
Series X runs much better in 120 fps mode, but can dip to mid 90s but VRR saves the day.
Series S has not so favorable fps performance from the only available mode.
PS5 has good implementation on the DualSense as well.
PS5 and XSX target 4K on both performance and RT modes at 60fps, PS5 seem to hit native 4K on both these modes.
PS5 and Series X both at 1296P with slightly above or below that depending on-screen complexity when running at 120fps mode.
Series S runs at just a single mode which is 1440p60fps and it's FPS isn't smooth.

Last edited:

FrankWza

do you mind GIF by DJ Khaled

elliot5

You can get this game for close to nothing on PC (GOG):

Yesterday it was 0.39 EUR. Today it's just above 1 EUR.
It's free on Twitch Prime too which is prob why.

PS5 version definitely the best here. Series X seems busted and definitely Series S is. Don't understand how it can be locked 1440/60 and have these judder issues

Last edited:

Itchy Tickles

Neo Member
You can get this game for close to nothing on PC (GOG):

Yesterday it was 0.39 EUR. Today it's just above 1 EUR.
Yeah since that game and Star Wars Squadron were part of the free monthly games on Amazon Prime Gaming they became next to nothing on cdkeys.

Both games were reduced to £0.59 at first, but now are both £0.29. Very cool if people don't use or have Amazon Prime.

Darsxx82

The studio didn't put much love or interest in the Xbox versions ...

The performance in XSX versus PS5 is clearly incomprehensible given all the antecedents of any game. The only similarity could be DMC V 120fps Mode where XSX had drops up to 35fps at once. But in DMC V the rest of the modes, including RT, XSX was superior and we are talking about a launch game.

In XSS it is that they simply limited themselves to pressing a button and whatever it was.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It's crazy to think we had those comments that Xbox performs well with old last gen engines, yet it gets beaten in older last gen games.

This one is a doozy, PS5 by a landslide.

Any idea what could be causing this kind of disparity? It seems completely off.

Tripolygon

Banned
The real answer is... comparing a GCN card to an RDNA1 card in order to explain the difference between two RDNA2 cards?
Do you not know how to read? That thread was talking about clock speed and how it affects every part of the GPU and not just Teraflops, architecture notwithstanding. This is what O onQ123 is inferring.

Sidenote: Not saying that is why the Xbox Series consoles are performing badly in this game. I think it could be just bugs and maybe need a little more performance tuning.

Last edited:

Fake

Timestamp for whatever you're posting about? Been watching for the last few minutes haven't got to the point yet

Edit: So someone trying to downplay the free performance updates ?

The video saying the '1~2 fps boost was fail to the perfomance update'.

Just joking, but the IGN video title is overeacting.

Here I presume this is just a port problem, probably will be fixed in a future patch.

Bartski

Gold Member
The game has an audio bug that makes it unplayable on PS5 from 4th or 5th level onwards. Not sure if they got that far to mention it before the verdict

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
How big the team is? Lets be real mastering 2 totally different mindsets of programming simply means cutting corners, if you don't have dedicated PS devs and dedicated Xbox devs.

ultrazilla

Summary
PS5 runs at consistent FPS in RT mode and performs better than Series X.
PS5 runs at more consistent FPS in 120fps mode and performs better than Series X.
Series X has dips in high 40s to mid 50s in RT mode and isn't very responsive.
Series X runs much better in 120 fps mode, but can dip to mid 90s but VRR saves the day.
Series S has not so favorable fps performance from the only available mode.
PS5 has good implementation on the DualSense as well.
PS5 and XSX target 4K on both performance and RT modes at 60fps, PS5 seem to hit native 4K on both these modes.
PS5 and Series X both at 1296P with slightly above or below that depending on-screen complexity when running at 120fps mode.
Series S runs at just a single mode which is 1440p60fps and it's FPS isn't smooth.

giphy.gif

200.gif

84806afeb5e20a1dd2374e95b62a5c2b.gif

Last edited:

Darsxx82

If you still don't understand that it's the higher internal bandwidth & so on from the higher clocks that's on you.
First, it is nonsense to compare different architectures ... Second, it is not necessary to go to theories with little base because you have a much more reliable base, which are the results seen over 1 year in multiplatform games. The answer is simple, in no case was a result like this seen. Not even in favor of XSX, which is usually the one that "wins" the most. Even less in modes with RT that generally XSX usually wins.
Only DMC V 120fps Mode , but XSX win on all other modes.

We are talking about moments with differences of 20+ fps in favor of PS5 and pure logic tells you that something is not correct and that the reason is not only differences in hardware/architecture.

Mr Moose

First, it is nonsense to compare different architectures ... Second, it is not necessary to go to theories with little base because you have a much more reliable base, which are the results seen over 1 year in multiplatform games. The answer is simple, in no case was a result like this seen. Not even in favor of XSX, which is usually the one that "wins" the most. Even less in modes with RT that generally XSX usually wins.
Only DMC V 120fps Mode , but XSX win on all other modes.

We are talking about moments with differences of 20+ fps in favor of PS5 and pure logic tells you that something is not correct and that the reason is not only differences in hardware/architecture.

I played it on PC and had a pretty cool time with the game, if you have a chance check it out its pretty interesting if you like something kinda light that you can jump right into. Like the guy said in the vid its pretty fun and can loop you in once you learn how to move around/attack

And shoutout to the mods for doing the lords work in this thread :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
The video saying the '1~2 fps boost was fail to the perfomance update'.

Just joking, but the IGN video title is overeacting.

Here I presume this is just a port problem, probably will be fixed in a future patch.

It has been a while since I paid any attention to IGN, but that was a particularly bad segment on the PS5 firmware update. Guy came across as a sarcastic asshole, frankly.

Fake

It has been a while since I paid any attention to IGN, but that was a particularly bad segment on the PS5 firmware update. Guy came across as a sarcastic asshole, frankly.

The video tittle are just for clicks/console war, as usual for IGN. They're double edge clown bashing console wars over twitter, but giving fuel over youtube.

GametimeUK

I guess PS5 is just going to be the better performing console for the foreseeable future for whatever reason. I was almost certain the Series X would be winning these face offs easily before the generation started.

Darsxx82

LOL. First The Turist is a very minor game and a version adapted (even with engine modifications) to PS5. Second that, even taking it seriously, we talk about benefits to achieve 8K and here that reason falls on deaf ears. Even more so when the trend is that XSX usually wins the resolution challenge more often.

I repeat, there is an irrefutable basis and it is the results of cross-platform games over 1 year. What is seen here is light years away from what has been seen so far in any game and therefore it is necessary to be very naive to come to believe that this result has to do only with reasons of hardware / architecture differences because that would be wanting to deceive oneself and others.
As much as an engine adapts better to the characteristics of the PS5 hardware compared to the XSX, you will not have 20fps more. And the same on the contrary, XSX is not going to have 20fps more than PS5 except, of course, there is a certain degree of "laziness" of the developer with respect to one or another version.

Arioco

Mod edit: I don't know how clear we have to be. Stick to the topic and findings. Any attempts to bait the 'opposing side' is going to earn bans.

So why isn't XSX performing well this time? Tools? Poor optimisation due to over reliance on VRR? A bug? Bad devs? I look forward to hearing your theories.

I haven't watched the video yet but judging by what I'm reading here I looks like a small studio developing for several different platforms, which never helps achieve optimal results on all of them.

Did XBOX get a straight port from the PC? If that is the case it didn't turn out well. The game suffers from obvious issues, it could use some extra work. Hopefully it will be fixed in future patches, but for now it seems like a clear win for PS5. When used well Series X gives excellent results, but maybe it's harder to get all the juice from it than it is from PS5. Maybe due to the tools or just due to the fact that feeding more CUs with useful work is much harder as Cerny once claimed. Or both. 🤷‍♂️ The only thing we know for sure is that Series X isn't performing as expected in this case.

Top Bottom