• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GhostRunner PS5/XSX/XSS DF Performance Analysis

Darius87

None of this proves anything. The original premise is still true pointing at related technologies proves nothing.
if you're ignorant then it doesn't.
If we look at the literature provided by each manufacturer we can see what features are supported, the fact that you have to go on this Sherlock Holmes level investigative quest to try and Prove your point , meanwhile you can just google “ML PC or ML Xbox” and the explanations are clear as day.
i know XSX | XSS and PC supports ML i don't have to google that neither i denied this argument, the problem that people like you can't accept when devs say that PS5 also supports ML it seems to hurt your feelings or something... weird attitude you have.

It doesn't matter how much proof you show, they're not going to accept that the PS5 is probably the most efficient console that can outperform the XBSX at times.
Just ignore them.
If xbox survived the last gen it's because of their passionate/dedicated fanbase... to remain polite.

The BS is thinking that its some sort of PS5 technical wizardry at work over simple optimizations.
So simple that even I could do them in my sleep, only if some studio was to hire me (and maybe you too)! but instead they get these schmucks who can barely use they keyboard.

I get it now.

rnlval

it's been proved that RDNA 2.0 supports ML operations with mixed precision INT4/INT8 ops and PS5 is RDNA 2.0 based
that's proof nr1.
If you need direct proof insomniac said that S-M does muscle deformation with ML just google it:

that's proof nr2

way before EA said PS5 support ML:

that's proof nr3

FIFA does it with it's hyper motion on both platforms:
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/8050...r-ultra-realism-on-xbox-series-ps5/index.html
that's proof nr4

i've myself heard on podcasts from devs that PS5 can upscale textures with ML.
what else proof do you need? sony silence doesn't confirm or deny anything.

again prove that PS5 doesn't support INT4/INT8 ops.
TensorFlow with DirectML can run on any DirectX12 class GPUs.

ML does NOT prove octa-rate INT4/quad-rate INT8/double rate INT16/FP16 with a 32-bit result feature existence.

Prove octa-rate INT4/quad-rate INT8/double rate INT16/FP16 with a 32-bit result feature existence FOR PS5. Sony's PS5 branched off from the standard PC RDNA 2 with PS5 missing PC/XSX/XSS RDNA 2 features. DirecX12U/Vulkan 1.2.198** capable RDNA 2 are influenced by NVIDIA RTX.

Sony already asked AMD to kitbash Zen 2 with reduced AVX resources.

Baseline RDNA Rapid Pack Math can support double rate INT16/FP16 with a 16bit result feature.

ML mildly accelerated by octa-rate INT4/quad-rate INT8/double rate INT16/FP16 with a 32-bit result feature.

ML is fully accelerated by NVIDIA's Tensor (1st/2nd/ 3rd gen) or AMD's Matrix cores (6 nm process node based Radeon Instinct MI200). NVIDIA's Tensor's lesser data types (INT4, INT8, INT16/FP16) can return 32-bit data type results.

----
**AMD's Vulkan version 2.0.198 (from Adrenalin Release 21.10.4, cite ref 1) corresponds to Khronos Vulkan 1.2.198.

Reference

1. https://gpuopen.com/version-table/

Last edited:

onQ123

Remember this?

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/c...will-winxbox-series-x-has-bottlenecks,18.html

Loxus

Imagine saying prove PS5 has INT4/INT8 instructions, but still can't prove the PS5 doesn't have it.

XBSX doesn't have Infinity Cache, so does that mean XBSX isn't full RDNA2. No.

Mark Cerny says PS5 CPU supports 256 bit native instructions.
"PlayStation 5 is especially challenging because the CPU supports 256 bit native instructions that consume a lot of power."

I'm still trying to figure out what RDNA2 features XBSX has that PS5 doesn't.

"Before I get into the capabilities of the GPU I'd like to make clear two points that can be quite confusing.

f:id:keepitreal:20200329144917j:plain

First we have a custom AMD GPU based on there "RDNA2" technology."

It's RDNA2, nothing else.
Mark Cerny not taking out any instruction sets, especially when their pushing VR with PSVR2 using VRS foveated rendering and machine learning image upscaling.

Loxus

Remember this?

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/c...will-winxbox-series-x-has-bottlenecks,18.html

Yea, I remembered that and how much hate that Crytek dev got.

Neo_game

We have seen enough already, there is not much difference. There is no unlocking power left to tap 🤷‍♂️ Does anyone know how much memory these games are using ?

Or PS5 was just better at running the code
I want to see you make that claim with the Medium and its load times and raytracing. Can we say the Xbox just has a technical advantage over the PS5 or should we just point to optimization?

lol. And every single other game that runs better on ps5 is also due to 'lack of optimization'? How is this possible? Do devs secretly hate Xbox? Please explain it to me.
There are games that run better on either console. And yes optimization plays a huge role. There is no reason why raytracing wasn't on Little Nightmares 2 on Xbox or The Medium on PS5.

Hate of consoles only exists on message boards by people who take gaming to unhealthy extremes. The systems are similar enough to have parity. This cross generational title isn't doing anything special to keep it from running the same on both platforms.

onQ123

I want to see you make that claim with the Medium and its load times and raytracing. Can we say the Xbox just has a technical advantage over the PS5 or should we just point to optimization?

There are games that run better on either console. And yes optimization plays a huge role. There is no reason why raytracing wasn't on Little Nightmares 2 on Xbox or The Medium on PS5.

Hate of consoles only exists on message boards by people who take gaming to unhealthy extremes. The systems are similar enough to have parity. This cross generational title isn't doing anything special to keep it from running the same on both platforms.

You're not making sense The Medium was 1st created with Xbox Series X/S in mind & probably had the data setup in a way that would take advantage of directstorage & the devs probably didn't feel the need to recompile everything for the port. We already know that some PS4 games didn't automatically load faster when played on PS5.

The Answer is that Xbox Series X is faster at loading games made around Xbox Series X specs than PS5.

Also The Medium didn't have raytracing when it was 1st released on the Xbox Series X either & the game has a higher resolution on PS5

Last edited:
Crazy to see these consoles go back and forth with each box coming out on top in face offs (sometimes by landslides). There's no consistency like previous gens. Either console can come out on top at any given head to head. Fun and fascinating to observe.

Well that's due to how close they are in terms of power. If the one was massively more powerful than the other (Pro Vs X) the weaker system will never have any advantages in games. But when they are this close each ones strengths and weaknesses can change the outcome of a comparison.

Well that's due to how close they are in terms of power. If the one was massively more powerful than the other (Pro Vs X) the weaker system will never have any advantages in games. But when they are this close each ones strengths and weaknesses can change the outcome of a comparison.
This is due to us running mainly old ass code lmao. Give it some years, every game that has released so far has been developed under an old development paradigm, engine inefficiencies galore.

This is due to us running mainly old ass code lmao. Give it some years, every game that has released so far has been developed under an old development paradigm, engine inefficiencies galore.

Nah its not like new code will create a huge gap between the two. I know some people think a switch can he flipped to make that happen but that really isn't possible. Both systems will improve with time and both will remain close to each other.

No magical code here to speak of.

Nah its not like new code will create a huge gap between the two. I know some people think a switch can he flipped to make that happen but that really isn't possible. Both systems will improve with time and both will remain close to each other.

Nothing about "Magical code" its about engines that were developed to take advanage of old ass hardware, tried and truth methodologies always reign supreme.

We've seen nothing of next gen software yet. NOTHING

Nothing about "Magical code" its about engines that were developed to take advanage of old ass hardware, tried and truth methodologies always reign supreme.

We've seen nothing of next gen software yet. NOTHING

But your suggesting big differences between the two in the future because of the code?

I guess you believe 1440P VS 4K will be the standard right?

Thing is new code will take better advantage of both systems. Not make one magically a lot more powerful than the other.

St Patricks Day Rainbow GIF by TipsyElves.com

Last edited:
But your suggesting big differences between the two in the future because of the code?

I guess you believe 1440P VS 4K will be the standard right?

Thing is new code will take better advantage of both systems. Not make one magically a lot more powerful than the other.

St Patricks Day Rainbow GIF by TipsyElves.com
I honestly dont GAF about this console war stuff you're alluding to. The biggest benefactor of the evolving dev pipelines will be PC. These consoles are already obsolete

HoofHearted

Correct - There’s certainly no “switch” to make a considerable improvement in performance of any code.

It takes considerable time, resources, and refactoring of the code to take advantage of new hardware/ architecture.

Agreed on that both systems will improve over time - however it will be interesting to see how “close” they will be with new engines implemented designed specifically for their respective platforms.

Microsoft has chosen a completely different approach to implementing its software stack compared to Sony due to their long term plans and business model.

Correct - There’s certainly no “switch” to make a considerable improvement in performance of any code.

It takes considerable time, resources, and refactoring of the code to take advantage of new hardware/ architecture.

Agreed on that both systems will improve over time - however it will be interesting to see how “close” they will be with new engines implemented designed specifically for their respective platforms.

Microsoft has chosen a completely different approach to implementing its software stack compared to Sony due to their long term plans and business model.

I can definitely see that happening but I see more changes on the services side than the hardware one. Sure devs will take better advantage of these systems but it's the services and changes to the OS that will see the most improvement.

Top Bottom