• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghosts ‘n Goblins Resurrection // Announcement Trailer

wondermega

It is interesting, the look of this game seems very divisive. I grew up with GnG (played the first NES one when it was new, so not too long after Super Mario came out). Back in the day it was on a short list with that game and the likes of Castlevania as "definitive" platformers, if a GnG game released you knew it was an event. Capcom sort of threw their energy into the Megaman games as their star platformer and this fell by the wayside, but in it's heyday they definitely shared the spotlight (and obviously some DNA).

I think it is jarring to see how the look of the game has evolved, just as it was 15 or so years ago when they polygonified it for Ultimate.. the original games are just so iconic and were real four-star efforts by Capcom at the time. I mean, you definitely wouldn't see a modern-day Super Mario Bros game presented like this! So while I don't personally like the look, I can appreciate what they are trying to do with it and I can also understand why gamers of a different generation than I might think it looks cool.

I'll just say that I never really did like the flash art style, and I DEFINITELY dislike the "puppet marionette" tech used to push limbs around. 8 and 16 bit graphics were limited, but they did succeed in having a nice look (low frame counts meant low sprite counts, and low resolution meant lack of detail and color, etc). When good artists worked around these limitations, the results could be very compelling. With super-high res and much higher frame counts, of course there is so much more to work with but that original "working within the limitations" is impossible to abide by in the same way. Unless, of course, you go for a mock 8 bit or 16bit style, which is also pretty divisive these days.

NT80

Doesn't look as good as Ultimate Ghost'n Goblins, but ok, i'll buy it either way.

In my opinion, every game got harder than the last one. I actually think that the NES one it's the gentler one. Ultimate it's kinda masochist even in comparison.

Ultimate on PSP was the way to bring Ghost 'n Goblins back. It looked fantastic at the time and added new elements to the gameplay. Great soundtrack too. Looking at Resurrection again apart from the puppet animation it doesn't look too bad. if they nail the gameplay I'm still interested.

I'll make a wild guess and say Capcom outsourced this to ACE Team (Rock of Ages, Abyss Odyssey, Zeno Clash), though I don't think Capcom would leave their name out in the trailer if it was actually the case.

I do think the goal of the art direction is to have every screenshot look like a medieval painting and I think they've mostly succeeded in that.

The way things animate is probably the most divisive visual aspect shown so far but I can see some charm in how Arthur's limbs flail in a humanly impossible way.

Tesseract

Banned
I'll make a wild guess and say Capcom outsourced this to ACE Team (Rock of Ages, Abyss Odyssey, Zeno Clash), though I don't think Capcom would leave their name out in the trailer if it was actually the case.

I do think the goal of the art direction is to have every screenshot look like a medieval painting and I think they've mostly succeeded in that.

The way things animate is probably the most divisive visual aspect shown so far but I can see some charm in how Arthur's limbs flail in a humanly impossible way.
all that sound right, especially the painting bit

would be funny if this was the abyss team, nothing but love

Caio

Ok, I love Ghosts 'N Goblins, since the arcade, I was a teen, 13 years old, oh my god.

I still have emotions when I hear the sound of him putting on armor immediately after his girlfriend is kidnapped, when you start the game, I played it so much, and also finished on PS3(Capcom Collection)

This is a must for me, DAY ONE !

Dr. Suchong

How incredibly disappointing.
Not the "Resurrection" this game deserves.
Dreadful art direction.
Should of been remastered by DotEmu/Lizardcube/Guard Crush
They would of done it the deserved justice.

Reactions: Fuz

Keihart

For those talking about the artstyle... Just search on Google for old medieval drawings. This game is trying to mimic that artstyle.
NOT the designs, the animation. That it's what people call "flash" or puppet style. Other way to put it would be to say that it looks like Southpark.

here's some new stuff i noticed

checkpoint flags
different armor breaks (torso, legs, arms, helmet)
momentum control? (feather?)
slide

no double jump has me a little worried since i consider super to be the standout version
I guess you'd like a double jump cause you're a mobility fiend but I think there's value to be had in having to commit to your air trajectory more.

On a side note, my personal favourite mobility move is sort of the opposite of double jump: fast falling.

Tesseract

Banned
I guess you'd like a double jump cause you're a mobility fiend but I think there's value to be had in having to commit to your air trajectory more.

On a side note, my personal favourite mobility move is sort of the opposite of double jump: fast falling.
there's something to be said for committing to jumps w / little air control

either way works fine, i just want the extra push for speed runs

Last edited:
there's something to be said for committing to jumps w / little air control

either way works fine, i just want the extra push for speed runs
Yea haha, that's old school Castlevania, every jump is like some tactical decision.

Oh I see, then you should wish for an optional dash or something, heh.

Which reminds me, super off topic, but check out this game called Fury Unleashed. Animation is worse than average but sound design, hit feedback and mobility (infinite dash/sprint, double jumps and fastfall stomps etc.) are all top notch, I think you might enjoy it.

Tesseract

Banned
Yea haha, that's old school Castlevania, every jump is like some tactical decision.

Oh I see, then you should wish for an optional dash or something, heh.

Which reminds me, super off topic, but check out this game called Fury Unleashed. Animation is worse than average but sound design, hit feedback and mobility (infinite dash/sprint, double jumps and fastfall stomps etc.) are all top notch, I think you might enjoy it.
looks awesome, thanks

Ok, I love Ghosts 'N Goblins, since the arcade, I was a teen, 13 years old, oh my god.

I still have emotions when I hear the sound of him putting on armor immediately after his girlfriend is kidnapped, when you start the game, I played it so much, and also finished on PS3(Capcom Collection)

This is a must for me, DAY ONE !

I always loved the C64 version.

Some people created an updated version a few years ago, which is amazing.

Salmon

Oh my god, is't so ugly! Could not even finish the trailer! Please fix this broken flash animation of a game before releasing it!

Dev1lXYZ

Holy shit.

11 year old me is screaming and crying tears of joy.

for the record I got to the end around 1987/1988 on my NES, no idea I’d have to do it all over again. What a fucking letdown I was DEVASTATED . Back then no internet, it was friends or gaming mags on all gaming info. I still remember breaking the news of the vine to the second warp zone to my friends in SMB — gaming god for a week.

Anyways after being trolled by the developers I doggedly pursued perfecting a second play through of Ghosts and Goblins. Was close one day but my mother got pissed I’d been on the NES so long and pulled the plug (i was on my second playthrough about 2 min from the true ending). 😩

I did eventually finally beat the game, it was a HUGE achievement, truly meant something in my life. No internet to show off to ... just a personal victory over a game that had royally fucked me at the end of my first run. Was finally able to say fuck you back.

I BEAT YOU BITCH

GNG was my 4th game for NES. I loved Castlevania and got it based on a friends’ recommendation as he had played the arcade game. I played that game religiously as it offered a great level of challenge and the theming was top notch. That would have been Christmas of 1986. I have loved the series ever since. When the Genesis was released in 1989, My only game other than Altered Beast was GNG. Since Genesis games weren’t available in my city for almost a year afterward, I mastered GNG. SNES release in 1991. Super GNG was also there with the new system. So, yeah big fan here of the series. 😂

Caio

I always loved the C64 version.

Some people created an updated version a few years ago, which is amazing.

Wait wait, which one ? I played and finished the original one on C64, the one with 4 Levels if I remember correctly VS 6 Levels of the Arcade + Final Boss, and yes, it was basicly a different Game/Version.

On PC there is an updated version of the C64 Version ?

Edited :

Ok, this is basicly a ""custom Version"" of the Arcade, very very nice, I love it :messenger_grinning:

Last edited:
Gotta echo those criticizing the artstyle. It looks like a pretty bad indie game. If the gameplay is untouched it'll still be a classic, but it's not very pleasing visually.

me0wish

I'll make a wild guess and say Capcom outsourced this to ACE Team (Rock of Ages, Abyss Odyssey, Zeno Clash)
As a huge ACE Team fan, I also thought it is very Team Acey, but I don't think they're involved. This looks amazing, and I will get it day 1 on pc.

bronk

Banned
Damn! That looks awesome. Just recently beat the SNES one. Much rage. Hope this one makes me just as mad.

00_Zer0

This is my favorite Capcom series of all time even though I suck at these games. I remember saving my allowance in the 80's for the original NES GnG cartridge. Once I saved enough money to buy it I walked to the Kmart close to where I lived and purchased it. I am such a fan that I have a big collection of physical games in the series that I dumped/ripped from my personal collection to play them on my PC via emulation.

Right now I am enjoying Gargoyles Quest 1 and 2, Ghouls N Ghosts(Genesis), Super Ghouls N Ghosts, Demons Crest, Super GnG Advanced, Ultimate GnG, and Maximo 1 and 2 all on the PC and can enjoy them any time want.

On PC someone has made a patch for Super GnG to eliminate most of the slowdown and it feels like a new game. Also, someone created a 60 fps hack for Ultimate GnG. UGnG looks amazing at 4k/60 fps on my 4K LG CX oled.

This series has always intrigued me and am always glad to see another one release. The art of Resurrection isn't my favorite, but it's not offensive to me and does remind me of classic GnG action when I watch the trailer. I will purchase this regardless and I'm hoping for a physical release to add to Switch collection.

Last edited:

00_Zer0

People like to hate. They hated the Streets of Rage artstyle, they hated the Battletaods artstyle and now they hate this. I enjoyed SOR + BT and i will enjoy this one too.
If you look at today's pixel artists, they mostly come from the indie field, and most of them are doing a poor job of implementing and creating pixel graphics. They almost always end up looking like a piss poor substitute of what came from the 80's and 90's. There are very few pixel artists today doing great work. It takes a lot of time and patience to do great pixel art. Most developers don't have that kind of talent or patience to do it.

I would love a GnG remake with graphics like the Ori series, or straight up pixel graphics like the old games, but Capcom won't sink that kind of time or money into a game like this. I love the series, but realistically a project like this won't make a lot of money for them.

Even though I don't like the "flash" style graphics, I look at games like Hollow Knight, and SoR 4 and see great games that I love to play regardless. I don't see GnG being any different. As long as it plays like a GnG game should, then I'm all in.

Last edited:
If you look at today's pixel artists, they mostly come from the indie field, and most of them are doing a poor job of implementing and creating pixel graphics. They almost always end up looking like a piss poor substitute of what came from the 80's and 90's. There are very few pixel artists today doing great work. It takes a lot of time and patience to do great pixel art. Most developers don't have that kind of talent or patience to do it.

I would love a GnG remake with graphics like the Ori series, or straight up pixel graphics like the old games, but Capcom won't sink that kind of time or money into a game like this. I love the series, but realistically a project like this won't make a lot of money for them.

Even though I don't like the "flash" style graphics, I look at games like Hollow Knight, and SoR 4 and see great games that I love to play regardless. I don't see GnG being any different. As long as it plays like a GnG game should, then I'm all in.

You’re 100% right. Most 2D pixel games that I’ve played look like I’m playing a game of the caliber of Backyard Baseball. I love 2D pixels done right, but I’d rather have this game’s style than terrible 2D pixels. What I’d really like is something more along the lines of Viewtiful Joe. I really liked the art style of that series.

Top Bottom