• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostwire: Tokyo - February 2022 Official Showcase | PS5 [Feb. 3rd]

R6Rider

Gold Member

"FACE THE UNKNOWN IN GHOSTWIRE: TOKYO™, LAUNCHING MARCH 25, 2022 ON PLAYSTATION® 5 – PRE-ORDER TODAY FOR BONUS CONTENT

In an instant, nearly all of Tokyo’s population vanishes and paranormal Visitors from another world take their place in the streets. As Akito, one of the city’s last living humans, you must join forces with a spirit named KK to put an end to the supernatural threat encroaching on Tokyo.

Ready to team up with an unlikely ally to take back the city? Pre-order Ghostwire: Tokyo today to receive the Biker and Hannya outfits and adventure in style!

PLAY EARLY WITH THE GHOSTWIRE: TOKYO DELUXE EDITION

Get a head start on your spirit-hunting adventure with the Deluxe Edition, bundling the full Ghostwire: Tokyo game with three days of early access* as well as the following bonus content:
Shinobi Outfit
Kunai Weapon
Streetwear Fashion Pack

NOTICE: Early access is available only for the digital purchase of the Deluxe Edition for PlayStation® 5 systems. An internet connection is required to download pre-order and Deluxe Edition digital content. "

Time is 5pm Eastern Time on Thursday. [https://dateful.com/time-zone-converter]

Last edited:

tmlDan

I think its more that Sony no longer cares about it since its a Microsoft game and so they're giving the bare minimum effort to fulfill contracts.
feels like that, and it honestly looks worse and worse every time they show it

tommib

Same GT7 time?

Family Time Reaction GIF by Lifetime

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Lol These early access versions tied to $100 Deluxe Editions are such a scam. This industry is making more money than ever and its still greedy enough to want more.

Tripolygon

Banned
I think its more that Sony no longer cares about it since its a Microsoft game and so they're giving the bare minimum effort to fulfill contracts.
That's not how that works. Not every game gets the same treatment or amount of push in terms of marketing and the game is still almost a month out.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Yeah, but that doesn't hold up to scrutiny when we saw the INSANELY over-marketed Deathloop just a few months ago. They must have different goals for each game; not that it's MS.
They're probably just like cmon get it over with since its the final bit of baggage. Its also not up to Sony if Tango had nothing new to show when they had various events in 2021. If they wanted to be in every one, I assume Sony would have let them. Its probably part of the whole moneyhat deal. Seems like Arkane just always had something ready for every show.

That more people aren't talking about this game is a travesty. I see Japanese inspired Elder Scrolls written all over this with some badass design decisions.

What this game be one of the best games this whole year. Even owning a PS5, I'm really fucking jealous this one comes to PS5 first, because I wanted it for my Series X. Calling it, sleeper hit of the year. The world and story, gameplay, art, combat, it all looks incredible.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
That more people aren't talking about this game is a travesty. I see Japanese inspired Elder Scrolls written all over this with some badass design decisions.

What this game be one of the best games this whole year. Even owning a PS5, I'm really fucking jealous this one comes to PS5 first, because I wanted it for my Series X. Calling it, sleeper hit of the year. The world and story, gameplay, art, combat, it all looks incredible.
I don't expect Elder Scrolls at all.

I expect Breakdown. A more linear action game, but with Shinto magic and melee.

thAlOkn.png

Haggard

Banned
I'm definitely curious as to what this game actually is, on the other hand I also kind of expect that it will land on my ignore list as soon as I know....
It's been too silent for too long, that's rarely ever a good sign

Last edited:
I don't expect Elder Scrolls at all.

I expect Breakdown. A more linear action game, but with Shinto magic and melee.

thAlOkn.png

I'm not saying it will be as big as Elder Scrolls, but the inspiration is clear as day. This is a Japanese action game inspired by Elder Scrolls, and it makes sense when you consider they're part of Bethesda. It looks like what you would get if Bethesda asked a Japanese studio to design a Japanese themed Elder Scrolls title that takes place in modern day Tokyo.

Last edited:

Lupin25

Sony has quite a few other exclusives to market atm, so I’m not sure how this game perform’s across the board.

Hopefully by then it’s not overlooked. I’m keeping tabs on this…

Arthimura

I don't like the release date, we already have too many games being released in february and march (Elden Ring, Horizon Forbidden West, Gran Turismo 7, Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origins, etc), this way the game might not get enough attention.

Despite that, I'm optimistic with this game. It looked interesting by the trailers and most Bethesda games are pretty decent and I enjoyed Deathloop.

I just want to explore spooky Tokyo using cool mechanics of combat and exploration with some decent story and quests.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I read Mikami was quoted as executive producer. I thought he took over the director's chair after Nakamura left.
I'm still interested tho, it will probably end up being a pretty solid game.
Yea, he's not the director.

The initial director (Ikumi Nakamura) left in 2019 because of Western publisher-politics and the years-long stress was affecting her health. She's independent now.

Mikami is on record stating that he doesn't want to direct games, that he wants younger talent to have that role. He also said if given the chance to direct something with 100% creative control, he'd probably retire afterwards cause he'd be fulfilled.

"Eventually, the stress of developer-publisher politics and the publisher having control over the game affected her negatively..."

“My thinking is that if I had a chance to make a game from the beginning to end that’s completely my vision, then definitely, that would be my big last project as a director,” he says. “It would probably be more fitting as that ‘last game I direct’ kind of thing.”

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
March sure is looking stacked with good japanes games... Triangle Strategy, Stranger of Paradise, this one and maybe other I've forget about.

Sad thing is... I guess most people will still be playing Elden Ring, which might hurt those game's sales.

CGiRanger

Banned
I read Mikami was quoted as executive producer. I thought he took over the director's chair after Nakamura left.
I've actually been constantly confused as to who's in charge of this game's development since Nakamura left. There's really been so little out of the developer as to what this game is about or who's driving the vision for it now. That's why my expectations are mostly low.

Yea, he's not the director.

The initial director (Ikumi Nakamura) left in 2019 because of Western publisher-politics and the years-long stress was affecting her health. She's independent now.

Mikami is on record stating that he doesn't want to direct games, that he wants younger talent to have that role. He also said if given the chance to direct something with 100% creative control, he'd probably retire afterwards cause he'd be fulfilled.

"Eventually, the stress of developer-publisher politics and the publisher having control over the game affected her negatively..."

“My thinking is that if I had a chance to make a game from the beginning to end that’s completely my vision, then definitely, that would be my big last project as a director,” he says. “It would probably be more fitting as that ‘last game I direct’ kind of thing.”
Yeah, that was always a strange departure, especially that quote there involving "Western-publisher politics", which makes me very curious about what that was all about.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

From my understanding:
Mikami: Executive Producer
Nakamura: ex-Creative Director
Kenji Kimura: Game Director

fart town usa

Gold Member
I've actually been constantly confused as to who's in charge of this game's development since Nakamura left. There's really been so little out of the developer as to what this game is about or who's driving the vision for it now. That's why my expectations are mostly low.

Yeah, that was always a strange departure, especially that quote there involving "Western-publisher politics", which makes me very curious about what that was all about.
It was Ikumi Nakamura but she left Tango due to stress related health issues and publisher-developer politics.

Kenji Kimura took over as director.

"Mikami mentioned Kenji Kimura, who is the director of Ghostwire: Tokyo, and how he's been working incredibly hard on the title. Mikami said that he wants to give young developers the chance to create games sooner rather than later, noting, "As a studio that tries to give young people big opportunities, we're always taking on the challenge of creating new games."

I'm confused, what part of it looks like or inspired by Elder Scroll? Is it because in first person?

The gameplay is clearly Elder Scrolls inspired, yes, the first person part plays a role, too, but just look at the gameplay. It's their own twist on magic and spells, etc. If you just look at it, you can tell they got assistance/code STRAIGHT from their sister studios, and then put their own twist on it.

This is why I've always been so excited for this game. I really do see it as a Shinji Mikami twist on Elder Scrolls, but in his own vision. This thing is going to be very, very big. This is a universe that I don't see being a one off. Even how enemies behave. It's all there.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The gameplay is clearly Elder Scrolls inspired, yes, the first person part plays a role, too, but just look at the gameplay. It's their own twist on magic and spells, etc.
To me it looks like you are playing as modern monk doing sutras against Yokai.

37b6e16f54b7299f9dba02180668e4ff6a085983.gifv

327283429042211.png

I'm not seeing much Elder Scroll here but then again original Gravity Rush was inspired by Crackdown but they look nothing a like.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
I was always hype for this game when it was announced but then it disappeared for months. I hope Sony is not sending this PS5 console-exclusive to die. The release date is awful 😢

Hopefully the SOP tomorrow gets lots of exposure and then they can poach Mikami from Tango 🙏

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
this PS5 exclusive
It's not. Also coming to PC on the same date.

The gameplay is clearly Elder Scrolls inspired, yes
What? Hell no. Elder Scrolls is much more than just "magic in first person", and there are also other games like that. Does this game also remind you of Arx Fatalis or Dark Messiah?

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Glad they're showing this tomorrow. What little I've seen of it looks a lot more interesting than Deathloop. I generally don't like Japanese games, but I did like The Evil within 2 quite a bit so I hope this game is good as well.

ethomaz

Banned
To me it looks like you are playing as modern monk doing sutras against Yokai.

37b6e16f54b7299f9dba02180668e4ff6a085983.gifv

327283429042211.png

I'm not seeing much Elder Scroll here but then again original Gravity Rush was inspired by Crackdown but they look nothing a like.
That gif is from gameplay?
God please shows mercy for us.

Top Bottom