• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostwire: Tokyo - February 2022 Official Showcase | PS5 [Feb. 3rd]

anthony2690

Banned
Game looks even more 'meh' than Deathloop, for what they have shown until now. Let's see if what they show tomorrow looks more interesting.
I quite like the look of this, looks pretty unique.
Hopefully it turns out decent, sadly I won't get to play it till next year.

It's not. Also coming to PC on the same date.

What? Hell no. Elder Scrolls is much more than just "magic in first person", and there are also other games like that. Does this game also remind you of Arx Fatalis or Dark Messiah?

Of course I know it's more than magic in first person dude lol, but this game has Elder Scrolls inspiration all over it. You may not want to see it, but know that the studios inside Bethesda share and support each other on games development all the time. Developers from the Doom studio helped and assisted them with this game, as well as people from the Elder Scrolls and other teams.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Of course I know it's more than magic in first person dude lol, but this game has Elder Scrolls inspiration all over it. You may not want to see it, but know that the studios inside Bethesda share and support each other on games development all the time. Developers from the Doom studio helped and assisted them with this game, as well as people from the Elder Scrolls and other teams.
But your entire argument is based on it’s from Bethesda and it’s first person, none of it’s gameplay or it’s art direction looks anything like Elder Scroll not even little.

JTCx

cool fan fiction.

post more dogshit opinions.

Kokoloko85

I think its more that Sony no longer cares about it since its a Microsoft game and so they're giving the bare minimum effort to fulfill contracts.

Sony put in so much advertisement and airtime for Deahtloop. People complained and rightfully so, it was so over shown.

But your entire argument is based on it’s from Bethesda and it’s first person, none of it’s gameplay or it’s art direction looks anything like Elder Scroll not even little.

Jeez.. you guys haven't been paying attention to what I've said at all lol. I said this looks like Tango Gameworks' and Mikami's take on their own Elder Scrolls, just with a strong modern day Japanese twist and vibe. You guys can disagree, but I see Elder Scrolls with a cool twist all over this, and it's been my biggest reason and excitement for this game from the very onset. Believe what you guys want, and leave me to my imagination of what this game looks like to me. :)

It feels like Elder Scrolls mixed with Dishonored and a strong Persona 3/4 vibe. Yes, that's what I think about this game.

Danjin44

Jeez.. you guys haven't been paying attention to what I've said at all lol. I said this looks like Tango Gameworks' and Mikami's take on their own Elder Scrolls, just with a strong modern day Japanese twist and vibe. You guys can disagree, but I see Elder Scrolls with a cool twist all over this, and it's been my biggest reason and excitement for this game from the very onset. Believe what you guys want, and leave me to my imagination of what this game looks like to me. :)

It feels like Elder Scrolls mixed with Dishonored and a strong Persona 3/4 vibe. Yes, that's what I think about this game.
Persona!? Persona!? Please dont tell me you saying this because its takes place in modern Japan.

Persona!? Persona!? Please dont tell me you saying this because its takes place in modern Japan.

Pay attention to the enemies, the vibe of the city streets, demonic like creatures, otherworldly events, mysterious disappearances of the population that are unexplained. A mysterious leader like figure that you aren't entirely certain what their true motive is, and amidst all this weirdness, you are gifted with something special that appears to separate you from the others.

So, yes, I get Persona vibes from this game, too. Shit, it's like you guys have no imaginations at all! Jeez, loosen the hell up! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

drotahorror

You are really doubling down on this. It doesn't look inspired by Elder Scrolls at all. It's not open world (or is it?), it's not an RPG, it's not a fantastical medieval world, etc etc.

I'm sure they do help other studios since they're all under the same umbrella, but just because one helps another doesn't mean you're influenced by their previous games.

I could even understand a comparison between say Cyberpunk 2077 and Skyrim. Or Kingdom Come Deliverance and Skyrim. Those are much more Elder Scrolls-like than Ghostwire.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Pay attention to the enemies, the vibe of the city streets, demonic like creatures, otherworldly events, mysterious disappearances of the population that are unexplained. A mysterious leader like figure that you aren't entirely certain what their true motive is, and amidst all this weirdness, you are gifted with something special that appears to separate you from the others.

So, yes, I get Persona vibes from this game, too. Shit, it's like you guys have no imaginations at all! Jeez, loosen the hell up! :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Are you!? Persona enemies are shadows like this
hqdefault.jpg

And if you are talking about Demons you summon are mythologies from different places like Greek and norse they not traditional Japanese yokai you see in Ghostwire.

Are you!? Persona enemies are shadows like this
hqdefault.jpg

And if you are talking about Demons you summon are mythologies from different places like Greek and norse they not traditional Japanese yokai you see in Ghostwire.

Come on dude, these are not the only types of enemies in a persona game. There are many kinds that take on all kinds of different forms. Hell, even the mist that just appears and people disappear reminds me of Persona 4 during the rainy days. Maybe you guys see it different, but this is how my imagination works, this is how I get excited about games. I look for things that remind me of other things I love and have come to appreciate, and it sorta drags me into the world and universe they're attempting to portray.

I will literally enjoy this game more based on this thought process. It's a similar thought process that I brought into Halo Infinite for things that I've always wanted from a Halo that I felt Halo Infinite was finally scratching that itch. And, thankfully, it overdelivered for me. Ghostwire: Tokyo, I've been saying this for a while now, will be one of this year's, and I believe this gen's, biggest surprises, and so many are sleeping on what's really here. I think this is looking like a hit.

JUST LOOK AT THIS AMAZING SHIT!!!

Last edited:

Danjin44

Come on dude, these are not the only types of enemies in a persona game.
Maybe you were not paying attention when playing the games but unlike mainline SMT game, the enemies in Persona 3 and 4 are called “Shadows”, again your comparison are very shallow, you might as well compare Ghostwire to Yokai Watch.

Maybe you were not paying attention when playing the games but unlike mainline SMT game, the enemies in Persona 3 and 4 are called “Shadows”, again your comparison are very shallow, you might as well compare Ghostwire to Yokai Watch.

What they are called, and what some of the more advanced ones look like are two entirely different things. You even get transported into mysterious places and realms similar to in persona in this game. I mean, that's what I'm seeing. I'm done with it at this point. Bring on tomorrow! But you guys better pray the similarities in my eyes don't grow or else I'll be saying it lol.

Danjin44

What they are called, and what some of the more advanced ones look like are two entirely different things. You even get transported into mysterious places and realms similar to in persona in this game. I mean, that's what I'm seeing. I'm done with it at this point. Bring on tomorrow! But you guys better pray the similarities in my eyes don't grow or else I'll be saying it lol.
All them are Shadows the big one come when its in full moon in Persona 3, even Persona are shadows that main character can control.

Last edited:
SenjutsuSage SenjutsuSage I think you might have way too much imagination dude.

I'll take that, but this is how I've always enjoyed my games. I get excited based on things I love that a game reminds me of, and then I enter the game with that frame of my mind. Shockingly there's always enough justifying my imagination for me to enjoy the game that much more. This is how I enjoy videogames. I'm very big on the imagination aspect of it.

I have a vision of what a game is, can be, what it's inspirations are, and then I'm transported. When a game gets me THIS excited it takes a whole lot for me to be let down. Not every game succeeds at getting me to this point, but this is definitely one of them. Games that have successfully done this for me. Splinter Cell Conviction, Metal Gear Solid on PS1, Persona 3, 4 and 5, Megaman Battle Network 1 & 2 (yes, really always wishing we get a next gen AAA battle network game), Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy 9, Halo Infinite, GTA 3, Vice City, San Andreas, GTA IV, (GTA V didn't give me the same feeling), Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Uncharted 2, Kotor, South Park: The Stick of Truth (this game more than any on this entire list is possibly the perfect depiction of how I view videogames, the same way they invented fantastical reasons for why they were doing what they were doing, that's what videogames do for me)

That's a rough idea of where my head is at lol.

Think South Park: Stick of Truth and the way the kids used their imagination to make what they were doing seem more epic and more exciting, and that's pretty much me with games I'm excited for in a nutshell.

edit: Can't leave out Max Payne 1 and Quantum Break. Those, too. are up there for me. Shadow Hearts Covenant from the PS2 is another!

Last edited:

Danjin44

I'll take that, but this is how I've always enjoyed my games. I get excited based on things I love that a game reminds me of, and then I enter the game with that frame of my mind. Shockingly there's always enough justifying my imagination for me to enjoy the game that much more. This is how I enjoy videogames. I'm very big on the imagination aspect of it.
You just make random comparison and call it imagination .

Here is comparison make little more sense, X/1999
892full-arashi-kishu.jpg

Because in X/1999 there is actual Monk in modern city of Tokyo, just like in Ghostwire.

Whats more funny about this is both Persona 3 and 4 takes place in fictional city in Japan not in Tokyo so this comparison make even less sense.

Last edited:
You just make random comparison ad call it imagination .

Here is comparison make little more sense, X/1999
892full-arashi-kishu.jpg

Because in X/1999 there is actual Monk in modern city of Tokyo, just like in Ghostwire.

I'm sure if I thought hard enough I could make similar connections, but I don't think very deeply about it. I find little pieces of inspiration here and there, and then my imagination goes wild from that point on. Take persona 3, for example, knowing they were literally putting the visual equivalent of guns to their heads and pulling a trigger to call out their power was just incredibly badass to me.

Can't believe in my previous list I left out Kingdom Hearts 2. That's one of my fucking favorites, too. Games that are made kinda like the way I think lol.

Dr_Salt

Yea, he's not the director.

The initial director (Ikumi Nakamura) left in 2019 because of Western publisher-politics and the years-long stress was affecting her health. She's independent now.

Mikami is on record stating that he doesn't want to direct games, that he wants younger talent to have that role. He also said if given the chance to direct something with 100% creative control, he'd probably retire afterwards cause he'd be fulfilled.

"Eventually, the stress of developer-publisher politics and the publisher having control over the game affected her negatively..."

“My thinking is that if I had a chance to make a game from the beginning to end that’s completely my vision, then definitely, that would be my big last project as a director,” he says. “It would probably be more fitting as that ‘last game I direct’ kind of thing.”
I thought he stayed at Tango because he was under contract and had to finish Ghostwire. Mikami was very close to leaving Tango for M-two.

Last edited:
This game will probably flop but fuck me, I wish it wouldn’t.

It looks so cool and even if it’s mediocre I know we need games like this. Original, weird new IP on a AAA level is so awesome and these days it’s so far and few between.

I’m at a weird place where I want to support the shit out of it, like some weird dichotomy of supporting a local business that’s a front for Walmart.

I want to feel like I’m purchasing a copy of some weird shit like Altered Echo or Primal for PS2 at EB but those days are gone.

Anyone else remember getting all high and mighty with the clerk because you refused to buy used to support a game?

Now I wish I could buy used copies of digital games.

daclynk

Now this is the game that have me interested.
To me it looks like you are playing as modern monk doing sutras against Yokai.

37b6e16f54b7299f9dba02180668e4ff6a085983.gifv

327283429042211.png

I'm not seeing much Elder Scroll here but then again original Gravity Rush was inspired by Crackdown but they look nothing a like.
this looks cool. gimme me more.

daclynk

From my understanding:
Mikami: Executive Producer
Nakamura: ex-Creative Director
Kenji Kimura: Game Director
Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

YukiOnna

Look the game could be shit but it looks more interesting than another fucking live service military shooter.
Just imagine how many call of duty's 70 billion USD buys and despair.
I mean, since it's Tango they're at least going to put out a solid experience. Mikami may not want to Direct games anymore but he's raised a great studio.

Top Bottom