• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostwire Tokyo | Review Mega Thread

fart town usa

Gold Member
Shinji Mikami: “Some people may feel that Ghostwire: Tokyo has a bit of a horror feel to it. But make no mistake, Ghostwire: Tokyo is not a horror game. It is an arcade-style action-adventure game.”

Thirty7ven

Banned
"I apologize for judgments I passed without playing the game. Now, I will pass these other judgments on it, but I apologize for the previous ones"

lmfao ok then

I don’t need to play a game to judge its identity or hook, YouTube has been a thing for a decade.

Did I say it controls bad or that it has input lag or some shit?

lmfaololololollol

Yellerstone

Banned
I don’t need to play a game to judge its identity or hook, YouTube has been a thing for a decade.

Did I say it controls bad or that it has input lag or some shit?

lmfaololololollol
"Ive watched youtube clips, I can tell if the game has an identity"

lol OK clown

Thirty7ven

Banned
"Ive watched youtube clips, I can tell if the game has an identity"

lol OK clown

If you can’t sell a game’s identity in trailer you already have a problem, if you can’t sell it in a 60 min walkthrough then you get this, a bomb.

I said it doesn’t have a strong identity, not that it doesn’t have one, clown.

Yellerstone

Banned
If you can’t sell a game’s identity in trailer you already have a problem, if you can’t sell it in a 60 min walkthrough then you get this, a bomb.

I said it doesn’t have a strong identity, not that it doesn’t have one, clown.
OK bud i'm done arguing with someone whos clearly younger than 18 and spends his time judging games on the internet he hasn't played. Enjoy that

Neff

I think it has a...strong identity??!

Agreed. Mechanically and structurally it's pretty much business as usual, but it borrows from a lot of different games and rarely feels dull, even though the game loop is relatively simple. I was surprised by how many interiors can be explored for an open world game (ie more than none, although there's still a ton of inexplicably locked doors), and the sidequests are refreshingly different enough to avoid feeling burned out when doing them, which is always something I dread when playing this genre. It's wonderfully video game-y.

More than anything though, this game is totally visually unique, while still being what is probably the most accurate and detailed representation of a virtual Japan yet seen in a videogame. There are scripted and unscripted moments which are eye-meltingly trippy, and the enemy designs are absolutely bonkers.

I'm already very happy with it and it just keeps getting better.

Last edited:

wOs

Lil bit insane the amount of comments like these two. How much more sheep minded does it get than blindly trashing a game cause its a 75 on MC? lmfaoooo
What if I watched Karak on ACG (who I generally agree with) and decided that I could hold off? Especiall with elden ring right now and the new horizon already downloaded.

Do I pass your brain test?

hollams

Gold Member
Right on.

Look deeper in the settings, there's an option to change it to PS5 icons. I've seen people say the same thing in other comment sections.
Thanks I found the option. It was in a strange place under the game settings and not in the control section. I did notice it before but the labeling wasn't the greatest so I wasn't sure what it was. There are 3 options. Type1, Type2 and Type3 with no explanation of what they are. Type1(Xbox) Type2(PS5) Type3(?).

My only gripe so far is I wish it had dynamic UI instead of just off/on for the HUD settings.

Some of the negative comments in reviews make much more sense after I switched over to Quality Mode and explored the other graphics options last night.

If you get this game, for the love of God, play it in standard Performance Mode. The game feels downright awful on Quality Mode. It's seriously like an underpowered PC trying to play Crysis. It felt downright awful and slow as balls.

The other modes kinda felt equally as bad too. Standard Perfomance Mode IMO is the only way to go. The game looks gorgeous regardless and please believe me, you're gonna want the framerate to be as stable to 60 as you can get it.

That's something I want to see in reviews from now on, what mode did you play it on? Cause for this game, it's seriously a night and day difference, I wouldn't be able to play it if it was only available in Quality Mode.
That's disappointing to hear. I'm tired of Japanese devs being such hacks when it comes to performance. Also, yeah reviewers should always say which mode they were using. A lot of reviews don't even say which platform they are on!

Yellerstone

Banned
What if I watched Karak on ACG (who I generally agree with) and decided that I could hold off? Especiall with elden ring right now and the new horizon already downloaded.

Do I pass your brain test?
Theres a difference between holding off and coming in a thread giving an opinion of a game the lengths of "this has no identity" "this game doesn't have a purpose for existing" etc. without playing it.

So congrats, youre not a braindead weirdo teenager......yet.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I'm almost 20 hours in and still loving it. Between this and Elden Ring, I'm in gaming heaven right now.

The social commentary in the game is on point and actually feels meaningful, lots of thought went into this game. Combat is really starting to shine now that I'm using the parry system more.

Still at the beginning of chapter 3, mostly just trying to do as much side quest stuff as I can. Definitely plan on platinuming this game, it'll be the first platinum that I get.

arvfab

Banned
Haven't played this one (but intend to later on), but it seems to be the opposite of Deathloop.

This: underhyped, lowscored, but appreciated by people playing it.

Deathloop: overhyped, high scores, but was a let down.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Alright.

The PC version of the game seems like it's very highly scalable so I'm gonna pick it up for my 1060 device. Should tie me over till next year to replay in a better profile when it launches on SX lol.

I really want to know if this was the original vision for the game or if the main creator leaving shortly after E3 2019 had a massive effect on it. The sidequests are really good though, and everything being voiced is great. Also while not strictly a bloody horror game, some of those sidequests are just downright depressing and horrifying.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Alright.

The PC version of the game seems like it's very highly scalable so I'm gonna pick it up for my 1060 device. Should tie me over till next year to replay in a better profile when it launches on SX lol.
One piece of advice, try to make a conscious effort to use the parry system. It will 100% improve combat for you, especially with groups of enemies. 1 on 1 encounters are uneventful and easy but parrying will really make the combat shine. It gets really hectic and allows you to press forward with offense rather than just constant retreat and pew pew pew. It'll also prepare you for the first boss. If you don't parry prior to, that'll be your wake up call.

The game doesn't punish you for playing in a boring manner, you really gotta take the initiative to utilize the mechanics that make the game engaging.

adamsapple

One piece of advice, try to make a conscious effort to use the parry system. It will 100% improve combat for you, especially with groups of enemies. 1 on 1 encounters are uneventful and easy but parrying will really make the combat shine. It gets really hectic and allows you to press forward with offense rather than just constant retreat and pew pew pew. It'll also prepare you for the first boss. If you don't parry prior to, that'll be your wake up call.

The game doesn't punish you for playing in a boring manner, you really gotta take the initiative to utilize the mechanics that make the game engaging.

Thanks, will do !

adamsapple

Oh wow, I see what John and Alex were talking about the controls in in the DF video.

The controls are incredibly floaty. The camera movement feels like how it feels in various games which portray floatiness in space for example.

GymWolf

5 hours in and i'm liking it very much.

I'm even liking the simple sidequest, they are short and sweet.

Aiming and controls on controller are the only thing a bit meh, but far from unplayable.

Who finished this game in 4 hours must have ignored every single thing to do except main missions.

Ezquimacore

Banned
capsule_616x353.jpg
The murdered soul suspect of this gen.
I will play it, for $20

Ezquimacore

Banned
Oh wow, I see what John and Alex were talking about the controls in in the DF video.

The controls are incredibly floaty. The camera movement feels like how it feels in various games which portray floatiness in space for example.
Apparently acceleration and deceleration put to 100% fix the problem

fart town usa

Gold Member

Here's my hastily made review w/ unedited footage. Wanted to give an idea of the gameplay loop with exploration and showcase some of the various environments. Mainly geared towards people still on the fence and still aren't quite sure what the game is about.

fart town usa

Gold Member
5 hours in and i'm liking it very much.

I'm even liking the simple sidequest, they are short and sweet.

Aiming and controls on controller are the only thing a bit meh, but far from unplayable.

Who finished this game in 4 hours must have ignored every single thing to do except main missions.
Do you just free aim or do you utilize L2 when you're in combat? Just curious cause lots of people are commenting on the controls but I actually really like them. Clearly it's all down to taste but I have mine on the default settings still, lol.

The auto-aim with L2 is so damn generous, I always use it with combat, just seems to make sense with how the combat feels and all that.

I have a hard time trying to imagine how the game would feel w/ mouse and keyboard, I'd probably hate it to be honest. Not a knock towards PC gaming, this just seems like a game more geared towards controller.

GymWolf

Do you just free aim or do you utilize L2 when you're in combat? Just curious cause lots of people are commenting on the controls but I actually really like them. Clearly it's all down to taste but I have mine on the default settings still, lol.

The auto-aim with L2 is so damn generous, I always use it with combat, just seems to make sense with how the combat feels and all that.

I have a hard time trying to imagine how the game would feel w/ mouse and keyboard, I'd probably hate it to be honest. Not a knock towards PC gaming, this just seems like a game more geared towards controller.
Probably never used L2, the game is not exactly super hard so autoaim sounds like cheating.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Probably never used L2, the game is not exactly super hard so autoaim sounds like cheating.
Ahh, give it a try sometime. Yea, it's really not too difficult, even on Hard. Enemies do deal a ton of damage though which helps compensate. I just wish the enemies were more aggressive, maybe they will be as I get further in.

adamsapple

So. I got a question.

Did I miss an intro or something ?

The game starts right off on the highway with your MC in an accident and shit going down.

I've seen some other places with footage showing what looks like a lavish CG intro with people 'disappearing' in subway stations and whatnot, I did not see that intro at all.

What gives ?

Mister Wolf

Played a ton yesterday. Really enjoying it. Maxing out wind powers before putting points in the other attacks. The up close core grab and the downed enemy core grab are worth buying early. Its nice that the enemies attack when they see you trying to core grab. Play the game on hard.

Last edited:

Yellerstone

Banned
I can buy my own games, but this is perfect cannon fodder for something like Gamepass for people that have a family and don't want to blow $60 on a potentially shit game.
It is? Idk i'm pretty happy I spent $60 on it. Shame you can't afford it, but do go on and keep giving opinions anyway.

Yellerstone

Banned
You trying to make me sound inferior and poor? It's quite the opposite. I can make money, I can't make time and this game looks like a waste of it.
Im just judging you off of what i've seen like you do to this game. You seem poor. Hopefully one day you can afford $60 games so you can talk on the internet from experience instead of ignorance

adamsapple

Ask ur mum for $60 so you can see if it plays as boring as it looks
It is? Idk i'm pretty happy I spent $60 on it. Shame you can't afford it, but do go on and keep giving opinions anyway.
Im just judging you off of what i've seen like you do to this game. You seem poor. Hopefully one day you can afford $60 games so you can talk on the internet from experience instead of ignorance

nervous-laughter-what-the-fuck.gif

Chill out fam.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
So far this is fun as fuck, I getting better at parring attacks and the amount of detail in the environments is crazy. I have no regrets paying full price for this game, I enjoying this game as much as I enjoyed original Evil Within.

Last edited:
Quite frankly, you seem like you're 12, especially when you requested that I ask my mother for money. This game also appears to be directed at your age group anyway. So enjoy, I will not, as I've not enjoyed anything I've seen from it.

Anyway, you have a lot to learn when it comes to being poor and when it comes to being frugal.

Last edited:

Ywap

Have to agree that it looks kind of boring.... The reviews says the combat is very simple and you can use the same strategy on all enemies. Asked my cousin who is playing it and he called it "A boring collect-a-ton open world experience".

Alot of people in here seem to enjoy it though so i might give it a chance after a price drop.

Last edited:

Yellerstone

Banned
Quite frankly, you seem like you're 12, especially when you requested that I ask my mother for money. This game also appears to be directed at your age group anyway. So enjoy, I will not, as I've not enjoyed anything I've seen from it.

Anyway, you have a lot to learn when it comes to being poor and when it comes to being frugal.
You typing a lot in a thread of a game you haven't played. At this point might as well just ask mum for that $60 so you can add something here.

Erdrick

I've been focusing on developing the exploration skills over combat. (The vision drop area is maxed atm and the glide skill is as well, for example.) I tend to pick enemies off from afar with the bow or stealth kill them up close.

The game is pretty much what I hoped. I love how immersed I get with a good game like this. Controls feel 2nd nature now and I can already feel that I'll be at a loss of what to play after I've platinum'd this.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Purchased a song last night, "We are Ninja Exorcists" lol. It's so great, I think it's a fictional movie theme for one of the movie posters in the game. I love these small details and what it can do to the games tone while you're playing it. Makes me think of the game as something Cannon Films would have produced in the 80s/90s.

Whoever made these songs did a damn good job, I don't even really listen to stuff like this but it's damn good and 100% fits in with the game.

keefged4

Finished this in 8 hours, doing a fair chunk of the sidequests too. Not worth £50 imo. Extremely repetitive, and even though the city is fairly big it ends up looking very samey, with a lot of copy paste buildings. The combat is very simple and gets boring really quickly. Quite disappointed as I thought there would be more depth to this.

Top Bottom