• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostwire Tokyo | Review Mega Thread

fart town usa

Gold Member
I still fuck with you. 🐻

I may find it better than I expected. We'll see.
arnold schwarzenegger predator GIF

tommib

I played like 40 hours with performance mode and then switched over to HFR Performance (I think it's called HFR Performance), non VRR. edit- RT Performance is what I went with.

Stoked that you're playing it dude, give some updates as you progress further. I made it clear in these Ghostwire threads but I gotta say it again, I absolutely adored the game and got the platinum, first platinum for me. Put in roughly 67 hours and it was pure gaming bliss the whole time.

Hope it keeps your interest. Don't forget about the songs you can buy from vendors, the DJ Multiverse tracks are great for when you need a change of pace, really makes the game feel like an arcade game while fighting and gliding around.
I’m really liking it, man. And it’s a good detox from Western stuff. Japanese devs really know how to create dense atmospheres. I’m sure I’ll finish it. Question is, will I platinum it. :p

Mr Hyde

Get it. There’s nothing like it around. High-budget surrealistic Japanese games aren’t just being produced at this quality level.

I'm probably going to get it. I want to support Tango and the fact that these sort of games hardly gets made these days.

Leviathicus

Neo Member
In general I liked it. There are some really bad design choices, and the more open world/ubisoft formula approach is something I personally dislike a lot. This is Tango's weakest job so far, but still an enjoyable experience and im glad we have games with this level of production outside the most known franchises.

SpokkX

The input lag makes this game unplayable imo. Controls feels line you are under water and makes the main shooting just not fun

I really hope they fix this

tommib

Did anyone try to go for the platinum? It’s a collectable traumatic stress experience. I love the game and wanted to platinum it just because of that but it’s so tiring, specially the spirits… I think I’ll sit at 58%. :(
SkLbI1g.jpg

FingerBang

Did anyone try to go for the platinum? It’s a collectable traumatic stress experience. I love the game and wanted to platinum it just because of that but it’s so tiring, specially the spirits… I think I’ll sit at 58%. :(
SkLbI1g.jpg
Jesus, no, I don't hate myself that much. Some of the worst side-content I've experienced in a game in a very long time.

Erdrick

SkLbI1g.jpg

I did. Was pretty easy albeit time consuming. I enjoyed being immersed in the game though so it was more enjoyable than not.

glad to see this game continue to be appreciated. my favorite 'next-gen' game so far (i'd personally recommend just turning it down to easy, settling back, & just enjoying the japanese atmosphere/strangeness)...

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
glad to see this game continue to be appreciated. my favorite 'next-gen' game so far (i'd personally recommend just turning it down to easy, settling back, & just enjoying the japanese atmosphere/strangeness)...
I dont think combat is "bad" enough to you need to turn down to easy, I personally played it on hard it was fun but I do wish there was more depth to it. For example able to combine different elements together for more powerful spell and ability to dodge.

I dont think combat is "bad" enough to you need to turn down to easy, I personally played it on hard it was fun but I do wish there was more depth to it. For example able to combine different elements together for more powerful spell and ability to dodge.
no, it's not bad. but, for me, anyway, it just became tiring. as with most open-world games, i was mostly into ghostwire for the exploration, the atmosphere, the lore, & the side missions. the combat was fine, but, eventually? enough was enough...

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
SkLbI1g.jpg
I've done all spirits which is easily the "hardest" part. Gotta do a bunch of combat trophies and all treasures, music tracks.

fart town usa fart town usa

The game was decent, better than most open world games that dense claustrophobic Tokyo vibe really carries it. The story was pure who cares though.

tommib

I've done all spirits which is easily the "hardest" part. Gotta do a bunch of combat trophies and all treasures, music tracks.

The game was decent, better than most open world games that dense claustrophobic Tokyo vibe really carries it. The story was pure who cares though.
Totally agree on the story. I couldn’t care less about the sister or the little city stories. The game lives and dies on its atmosphere and graphics.

I’m still tempted to get the platinum further down. It’s easy just time-consuming. The new photo mode will bring me back.

fart town usa

Gold Member

Nice.

I loved the story but to each their own. The game just checked all the boxes for me. Honestly one of the most enjoyable game experiences I've ever had.

I'm looking forward to playing it again at some point, giving myself a long break so I forget elements of it.

Arachnid

Jesus, no, I don't hate myself that much. Some of the worst side-content I've experienced in a game in a very long time.
The thing that blows my mind about stuff like that is that if its that boring just to complete, imagine being the poor bastard that had to code and place it all

Just fkn lol

This is one of the many ps5 games that has RT reflections but may as well not have Rt at all because it's 30 fps with a shit load of input lag (like cyberpunk 2077 and Control). Devs, if you're going to have RT at 30 fps, at least make sure you're not letting it be extra laggy (30 fps adds enough lag already)!

Drizzlehell

Banned
Finally got around to playing this last night.

What a weird game.

It seems like it's supposed to be a horror title since you're fighting weird supernatural beings that look kinda demonic and creepy, but then the entire aesthetic of the game is bursting with so much color and these weird glitch-like effects, and your character shooting magic balls out of his fingers like it's some comic book shit. It's pretty endearing in its weirdness, though. Feels really unique, which is not something that happens very often in triple-A gaming these days. And it's pretty fun to play so far too.

This is one of the many ps5 games that has RT reflections but may as well not have Rt at all because it's 30 fps with a shit load of input lag (like cyberpunk 2077 and Control). Devs, if you're going to have RT at 30 fps, at least make sure you're not letting it be extra laggy (30 fps adds enough lag already)!
It has a lot of modes, though, including one where you can play with ray tracing and in 60 FPS. The resolution is at 1080p in that case but it still looks pretty good. It's actually pretty cool that it has so many options. Other shitty developers should be taking note of this before trying to feed us with that fucking bullshit about it being necessary for all future games to be only available in 30 FPS.

This game is on my radar. I don't understand why American developers love the countryside so much. Cities are much more interesting. I dropped RDR2 because of the setting. Fuck your coyotes and elks.

Urban jungle> jungle and Tokyo is glass and concrete as far as the eye can see.

What a weird game.

It seems like it's supposed to be a horror title since you're fighting weird supernatural beings that look kinda demonic and creepy, but then the entire aesthetic of the game is bursting with so much color and these weird glitch-like effects, and your character shooting magic balls out of his fingers like it's some comic book shit. It's pretty endearing in its weirdness, though. Feels really unique, which is not something that happens very often in triple-A gaming these days. And it's pretty fun to play so far too...
perfect word choice, &, yeah, it's very unique in that way. really loved this game - enjoy!...

What a weird game.

It seems like it's supposed to be a horror title since you're fighting weird supernatural beings that look kinda demonic and creepy, but then the entire aesthetic of the game is bursting with so much color and these weird glitch-like effects, and your character shooting magic balls out of his fingers like it's some comic book shit. It's pretty endearing in its weirdness, though. Feels really unique, which is not something that happens very often in triple-A gaming these days. And it's pretty fun to play so far too.

It has a lot of modes, though, including one where you can play with ray tracing and in 60 FPS. The resolution is at 1080p in that case but it still looks pretty good. It's actually pretty cool that it has so many options. Other shitty developers should be taking note of this before trying to feed us with that fucking bullshit about it being necessary for all future games to be only available in 30 FPS.
Can't argue with that. No excuse whatsoever for devs to only offer 30 fps. That's pure lazy trash.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This worth 28$? I see new disc discount for this.
I skipped this, ghost of tsushima and deathloop. Most other stuff I think I caught up. Tsushima still over 70$ so I will wait...
I do love Evil Within 2
edit: nvm, ordered it for ps5

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Got this for Christmas, and so far I like it despite being put off by the first person view when it was released.
Graphically I find it rather good looking and I like how it looks very 2000's, I can't explain it but the vibe I get from it is like it's straight out of the 2000's even though it's set now.
Combat is interesting and satisfying and I love just exploring Tokyo.
I can see how it can become repetitive after a while but so far so good.
The lag though, a lot of tinkering with analogue settings to get it right.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Got this for Christmas, and so far I like it despite being put off by the first person view when it was released.
Graphically I find it rather good looking and I like how it looks very 2000's, I can't explain it but the vibe I get from it is like it's straight out of the 2000's even though it's set now.
Combat is interesting and satisfying and I love just exploring Tokyo.
I can see how it can become repetitive after a while but so far so good.
The lag though, a lot of tinkering with analogue settings to get it right.
Freaking love this game. I want to play through it again but exclusively on the TV I own now (OLED, VRR, etc), that I didn't own then. Wife is always using it though. :messenger_expressionless:

Hope you stick with it, it gets really rewarding as you unlock abilities, and don't sleep on the DJ Multiverse tracks that some vendors sell, those tunes really help showcase the arcade nature of the game. I always have to point that out because it was a total epiphany moment for me when I played it at launch and decided to check those tracks out. You can play the songs via your MP3 player in the options and it replaces the default BGM, completely changes the vibe of the game. It's really just a big arcade game at it's core.

Last edited:
Top Bottom